Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining (Updated for 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jondutch. If you want guidance try and find out how Disney handles auto tip when your meal purchase includes mug or glass purchases.

sorry if this has been answered but i can't seem to find it. Is the tip based on the total price or the pre-tax/vat price? Sorry if this seems obvious, I'm from the Uk where tipping is less specific, it's just a general round up or ten % tip.

For my clarification: at restaurants like Be Our Guest (lunch), do I have the option of adding a tip when I pay with my magic band? Or should I plan to bring cash? Thank you!

I think lunch is order at the counter (or in advance) and your food is brought to your table instead of you standing and waiting for it. You pay when you order or check in. If you choose to tip, you probably need cash.

For my clarification: at restaurants like Be Our Guest (lunch), do I have the option of adding a tip when I pay with my magic band? Or should I plan to bring cash? Thank you!
Lunch is considered Counter Service, therefore no tipping.
Only dinner at BOG is a Table Service Meal which involves a tip.
Hope that clarifies.

2 questions .... first one is do the servers pool their tips and split it or do they actually keep what they get per table? second, I always leave a tip in our room upon checkout for the maids. Not sure if I was supposed to so I just do. Thanks in advance!
I can't speak for every Disney restaurant, but I do know that at the restaurant my sister worked at, she kept her own tips. She would tip out the customary amount to food runners, busters, hosts, kitchen, etc. But essentially kept her own tips.

You may not be able to tip at all. For positions that do not receive the lower server minimum wage, but the higher Florida minimum wage (sorry I don't know the actual names of these) Disney trains staff to refuse tips. I know this is true for the popcorn carts, so could possibly be true for QS as well.

You may not be able to tip at all. For positions that do not receive the lower server minimum wage, but the higher Florida minimum wage (sorry I don't know the actual names of these) Disney trains staff to refuse tips. I know this is true for the popcorn carts, so could possibly be true for QS as well.
There is NO TIPPING at Counter service restaurants. Only at Table service...

For room service/ in room dining where the 18% is charged automatically, do we tip the person delivering the food as well, or is that part of the 18% gratuity and delivery fee?

For room service/ in room dining where the 18% is charged automatically, do we tip the person delivering the food as well, or is that part of the 18% gratuity and delivery fee?

Since we are not allowed to give personal opinions on this subject, I will say it’s is your own decision on to tip more than what has already been added to your bill.

A good general rule of thumb:

If the charge is a delivery fee, it doesn't go to the delivery person. If it's a gratuity, it does

Boss: You're fired!
Me: Please don't! I'm having trouble putting food on the table!
Boss: That's the problem... you're the worst server I've ever hired..

just a little levity in this tipping thread, but seriously, one question I have is this: From working in restaurants myself for many years, I know that if someone used cash to pay the bill and then wanted to use a cc to administer the tip, we would have to charge them for something small on their card to allow it. If using the DDP, can you leave a tip on a cc or gift card even after using your band to pay for the meal?

just a little levity in this tipping thread, but seriously, one question I have is this: From working in restaurants myself for many years, I know that if someone used cash to pay the bill and then wanted to use a cc to administer the tip, we would have to charge them for something small on their card to allow it. If using the DDP, can you leave a tip on a cc or gift card even after using your band to pay for the meal?

Yes!
Funny post!

Yup. We were in the DDP and paid every tip on a GC or cc without a "service fee."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!