Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after reading this thread I am confused to think that as a party of 5 adults with a 9 month old that we could possibly be charged
Hi,
If you are eating at CRT, HDDR, Aloha Dinner at Poly, and Mickey's BYBBQ your tip is included even when on the dining plan. (you do not need to add a tip)
If there are 6 or more in your dining party, your bill at any TS restaurant (including buffets) will have an 18% gratuity added. While the dining plan covers the cost of your meal, it does not cover your tip. You may pay for this 18% additional charge in any way you desire. (cash, cc, debit card, Disney gift card, etc)
If there are less than 6 dining, you may tip any amount at your discretion. The bill will be presented to you with the amount of your meal. You are not responsible to pay for your meal (DDP covers this) but your tip is not included. You may again add in the tip with the payment type of your choice. This is not an automatic gratuity charge if you have 5 or fewer people in your party. (BTW infants count)
Double check your bill, very few places at WDW include the tip.
Hope this clarifies it!
I am confused about the infant comment. As a party of 5 adults with a 9 month old who has to eat off the adult plate why would I get charged as a party of 6?

So after reading this thread I am confused to think that as a party of 5 adults with a 9 month old that we could possibly be charged

I am confused about the infant comment. As a party of 5 adults with a 9 month old who has to eat off the adult plate why would I get charged as a party of 6?
There are 6 humans at the table. That makes you a party of 6.

You ARE a party of 6. If that is an issue for you perhaps cs is a better option for your family
It is not an issue. I just can not see why they would consider a baby as part of the party when they are not being served. That is the whole point of tipping when you have large parties of people. The server is in essence catering to each person who they would bring a meal to at the table. This is not a big deal if I have to pay somewhat more. Up to this point any upscale restaurant my family has gone to in downtown Chicago has never considered the baby as part of the dining party. If I have to pay then I will just have to pay. End of story.

I asked this same question as I am going with a 4 month old so 5adults + 1 infant amd then realized as i posted it either way your still paying a tip they don't charge you per person it is based on your entire meal so 18 percent on your total so having the baby there or not does affect what you are tipping unless you didn't plan to tip which I believe is the reason they like to add it because there are lots of people who hate to tip believe it or not...it is very sad

It is not an issue. I just can not see why they would consider a baby as part of the party when they are not being served. That is the whole point of tipping when you have large parties of people. The server is in essence catering to each person who they would bring a meal to at the table. This is not a big deal if I have to pay somewhat more. Up to this point any upscale restaurant my family has gone to in downtown Chicago has never considered the baby as part of the dining party. If I have to pay then I will just have to pay. End of story.
I totally understand why they have the policy that they have. An upscale restaurant in Chicago is a completely different animal than a WDW restaurant.

I asked this same question as I am going with a 4 month old so 5adults + 1 infant amd then realized as i posted it either way your still paying a tip they don't charge you per person it is based on your entire meal so 18 percent on your total so having the baby there or not does affect what you are tipping unless you didn't plan to tip which I believe is the reason they like to add it because there are lots of people who hate to tip believe it or not...it is very sad
I think what my point was is if you only have a party of 5 they will enter suggested tip amounts while if the party is 6 or more the 18 percent is automatically added into the total. I have never not tipped while at restaurants at Disney and have even tipped up to 25 or 30 percent when the service is spot on. The idea that the dining plan counts a baby as part of the dining service is weird. I also agree it is rude for large parties to not tip a server so the automatic gratuity is needed. Like I said, at this point I will just have to pay the price.

Aha! It's not the Dining Plans that count each person in the party in the party count. It's Disney's dining/tipping policy overall. Doesn't matter how you're paying for the food. When you have six or more persons in your party, the 18% service charge is automatic.

Yep.

Dixiedivamom...you did ick ide the baby in your ADRs, yes? Baby has to be included in the count.

While it wasn't something we dealt with (we delayed solids for nearly a year with ds and even until 18 months he wasn't interested in food that didn't come directly from me), but since many people are feeding babies even 9 months old all sorts of things, and since babies aren't very good at eating nicely, the server can indeed end up waiting on a baby! Babies often end up with huge messes for servers to clean up.

I know I'm late to this party, and am in no way trying to stir the pot. (pun intended)

Unless I'm mistaken if you have an issue with the service that you received at a TS you can request that a manager adjust the gratuity to a smaller percentage.

we won't get into ways to manipulate the auto gratuity :)

ideally if you have an issue you will have addresses it early in the service

Just came back and I was surprised that suggested tip on the receipts is 18% or 20%. Did they skip 15% on purpose? And was surprised we were automatically charged 18% tip at Homecoming when it was just 2 of us. This restaurant was the only one that already charged tip for when it was just 2 of us. Luckily service was good so we didn't say anything but if we didn't pay attention, we could have double tip.

A new tipping thread is being initiated for 2017, therefore this thread will be closed for further posting.

Thanks Pumbaa_ for all of your hard work on this thread! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter