Tipping is out of control!

Cool. So barista who is working at Starbucks to help pay her way through college finishes a double shift where she made drinks for impatient people all day, burn her hand on the steam a few times because she was moving faster than she should have to keep up with everyone, gets asked to deal with the tip jar before she leaves for the night and gets to read your thoughtful note. I'm sure you made her day.
Totally agree! And I always tip at Starbucks because I think they are amazing. I spent my 20's working a full time job during the week, an all weekend job and also school at night. ANY extra $$ was always a treat and greatly appreciated.

Get your own coffee, then. Get a grip you aren’t more educated then someone who works at starbucks, just because they work at Starbucks.

I’ll say I’m more educated than most (I did a lot of school lol) and I couldn’t hack it at Starbucks even for a shift. It gets intense in there and I guarantee me and all my degrees would mess up orders left and right. I’m also really clumsy, it just wouldn’t end well. I really appreciate that my Starbucks baristas can make me a delicious latte (which despite multiple espresso machines over the years, I cannot get right on my own) with lightening speed and have me on my way. Just because something doesn’t require a degree doesn’t make it easy.

Oops! Was I supppsed to tip the grocery delivery person? I used the service for the first time ever & I didn’t til the guy. Was I supposed to?

Oops! Was I supppsed to tip the grocery delivery person? I used the service for the first time ever & I didn’t til the guy. Was I supposed to?
My father in law works for Instacart. The pay structure is setup so that tipping accounts for about 60-70% of each order. He was a very strict 10% tipper until he started working for Instacart, now he tips a minimum of 20%, says he never understood how much tipping was a part of someones pay until this job.

My father in law works for Instacart. The pay structure is setup so that tipping accounts for about 60-70% of each order. He was a very strict 10% tipper until he started working for Instacart, now he tips a minimum of 20%, says he never understood how much tipping was a part of someones pay until this job.

I really appreciate the insight. I use instacart all the time (like I haven’t actually been inside a grocery store in a year all the time) and never really knew how tipping worked, but sort of went with a flat tip of $10 adding onto that for massive orders from Costco or when I buy lots of bottled water or something. I never knew how much of each “shop” a employee did was tip so glad I assumed correctly!

Edited to add-most of my orders are just around $35 minimum for free delivery.

it's still the expectation here despite servers earning the same minimum of $11.50 per hour ($15.64 in at least one city) that every other minimum wage worker earns. i've gotten to the point where i will no longer pay a restaurant bill with cash b/c too often the server just decides on their own not to bring my change back so i'm left asking about it and 9 out 10 times i get a sigh and an 'oh, you WANTED that back-i thought it was my tip', um-no, i'll tip what if/what i want to:mad: (it's one thing for them to purposely bring me back change in way more lower denomination bills to facilitate tipping but to assume that on a $38 bill that they deserve a $12 tip-nope that doesn't sit right with me).
I had that happen to my FIL in Orlando once. The server never returned his change (he paid with a $100 bill and she kept over $30) and then disappeared so he couldn't ask for it. I was wondering why we waited so long but we finally just left without his change. He was elderly and didn't want to make a fuss so he didn't call for the manager. I found out about it later that night and called the manager the next day to report the theft (and it WAS theft). I was so freaking mad that she took advantage of an elderly man. We didn't get the change but I vented my spleen about the honesty of his serving staff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!