Tipping of beautician setting up own shop

Tip the beautician who owns the hair salon?

• Yes

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
I've been going to the same beautician "forever" (okay, at least fifteen years), and I'm very proud of her for finally opening up her own shop next week.

In the old days, it was said that you don't tip the owner of a hair salon, but I'm planning on still tipping my gal, unless the DIS talks me out of it. I figure, she's still doing all the work on my hair herself, and is carrying the expense of the new venture, so why not? (But I don't want to insult her, since she is the owner now.)

If you say, yes, tip her, would you say more/less/same as usual? (I tend to be a very healthy tipper because I figure she costs me less than a therapist...).
TIA!

Terri

I tip my eyebrow woman who works out of her basement the same amount I did when she owned her own shop, at least 20%.

My hairdresser just opened her own little shop and I still tip her.
She's young and trying to get started, I want her to succeed, so that 20% can help her and she is always so appreciative.
She even came to my house before the salon opened cause my roots were so bad, I appreciated her doing that and tipped even better!
Her prices are a little lower than the salon she was previously at, so thats a win for me.

I understand why it’s not necessary to tip the owner, but there is nothing that prohibits it either. Go with what feels right to you, whether that’s the same tip as always, an adjusted tip, or no tip at all. Personally, I would probably tip at least until the business was established, perhaps a year, and then reassess the situation.

I tip my stylist, who owns the salon I go to. Before her, I went to a lady who operated a small salon in her basement. Tipped her too. I tip for good service, and make no distinction between owner and not. My stylist's prices are very reasonable. I get full highlights, a cut and an eyebrow wax and it's $95. I used to pay more than that a decade ago for JUST the cut when I lived in the Bay Area. I think I'm getting an absolute bargain.

My hairstylist owns her salon but it operates out of one of those places where there are multiple salons. She still has operating costs and other costs, plus i’ve gotten to know her well and she’s a hard working single mom and she always does a great job on my hair.

Of course I would tip the owner. I have yet to understand why you wouldn’t.

Because the owner is the one who profits from the business, and the employees don’t. At least, that’s how it was explained to me. But there’s nothing to stop a person from tipping anyone they want to, and certainly the owner of a new business isn’t raking in the dough right away and would probably be very grateful for the tips.

My friend is a beautician who also has a room set up in her house to do hair. She cut back because she owns a salon now but I still go to her. In the beginning she would fight me on giving her tips but she goes above and beyond the price she charges me. Plus she will go out of her way to fit me in to have my hair done. That being said I have heard not to tip the owner.

I would probably wait and see what her prices are. If she is charging less than her old salon charged, I would probably tip. If she is charging the same or more, I probably would not because she is making more off the service than she did when she was an employee instead of the owner.

Because the owner is the one who profits from the business, and the employees don’t. At least, that’s how it was explained to me. But there’s nothing to stop a person from tipping anyone they want to, and certainly the owner of a new business isn’t raking in the dough right away and would probably be very grateful for the tips.

This is what I've heard also, from two owners. I have had two stylists who have gone the "owner" route and they instructed me not to tip them. So I complied. It does feel a little weird but I get it.

In a hair salon situation, stylist generally only get a "cut" of what the cost of the service is. Usually it's 50% although some stylists negotiate higher. The other percentage goes to the shop to pay for facilities, supplies, and profit to the owner. I guess the logic is that the stylist owner is getting the 50%, and also directly gets the profit portion of the other 50%. I dunno. I agree with doing what feels right to you.

I would probably wait and see what her prices are. If she is charging less than her old salon charged, I would probably tip. If she is charging the same or more, I probably would not because she is making more off the service than she did when she was an employee instead of the owner.

I wouldn't assume they're making more money if they're charging more. You don't know what their overhead and start-up costs are.

I don't make a distinction between owner/employee, if I'm happy with the service, I'll tip.

I wouldn't assume they're making more money if they're charging more. You don't know what their overhead and start-up costs are.

I don't make a distinction between owner/employee, if I'm happy with the service, I'll tip.
This. I believe tips are appreciated (and remembered.)
I tend to think a lot of these "rules" are from back 25+years ago.

Last edited:

That's part of having a business though. If a friend chose to open a clothing boutique, you wouldn't offer to pay more than the marked price on the clothes just because her rent is high.

That's part of having a business though. If a friend chose to open a clothing boutique, you wouldn't offer to pay more than the marked price on the clothes just because her rent is high.

That wasn't really my point. I don't think you can assume you know what someone's net revenue is based solely on the cost of their service. The statement was that she would be making more if she was charging more. I said I wouldn't assume that.

It's a personal decision whether or not to tip and if you do how much.

I understand why it’s not necessary to tip the owner, but there is nothing that prohibits it either. Go with what feels right to you, whether that’s the same tip as always, an adjusted tip, or no tip at all. Personally, I would probably tip at least until the business was established, perhaps a year, and then reassess the situation.
I think it would be awkward to stop tipping if you always have. I’d imagine the stylist will be surprised by it too and assume you’ve become dissatisfied with the services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter