Tipping on Dining Plan?

sara74

DIS Veteran
Sorry for repeating what I am sure was already here several times, but I can't find an old thread! Is gratuity included? If not do you all tip in cash? How does this work? I am trying to plan our cash expenses and just thought of this! Thanks for the advice!

There is an 18% gratuity included in the dining plan. We did tip extra if the service was really good.

The gratuity is actually a fixed amount which ties in to the amount the restaurant is paid for your meal.

I know a couple of people who are Area Managers for Epcot restaurants and they have told me that the amount the restaurant is paid does not depend on what is ordered but is a fixed amount per adult or child's meal on the MYW dining.

If on the Platinum Plan the reimbursement (and therefore tip) are based on the actual bill.

This is why the servers no longer suggest buying the most expensive items; it no longer affects their earnings.

I find that interesting since an actual line item for an 18% gratuity is added to the final cost of the meal amount. When I asked in December, the waitstaff that I had told me that they get the 18%. A few times I left a bit more for steller serivice. Basically I took a bunch of extra fives with me in case I felt I wanted to add to the tip.

It would be great to know for sure if they get a fixed amount or 18% of the total in order to figure out how much more to tip. When my wife and I go to the California Grill in May for the first time on the plan I would certainly add more for an additional tip if I knew they only got a fixed amount (say 18% of $54...I'm just picking a hypothetical value for 2TS credits) than if they received 18% of the total bill. It would seem to make sense that they get a fixed value otherwise the pricing structure probably doesn't work right.

The tip is included so honestly you should feel like you need to leave extra. We did leave extra for exceptional CM's. But all the restaurants we went to, we didn't see anyone on the dining plan leave any extra $$ and I don't think the CM's expect people to leave any additional tip (but it is nice for CMs who really go above and beyond)

We usually left extra.. but we always had a cash bill to pay on top of the dining plan anyway, which had wine we ordered and sometimes a child's meal for our 2 year old (not on the plan-- sometimes he shared with us and his sister, sometimes we paid cash for a meal for him.) So we would tip on that extra amount and sometimes a little more to add for the tip for the whole meal.

I am a bit odd about tipping, mostly because of the service you get in many resteraunts in the uk. I don't like tipping especially in places that stick a service charge on you meal, I mean getting a £5 service charge on a meal for one and then they leave a space for a tip!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter