Tipping

rsbuxt

Mouseketeer
Hi Guys

Coming from the UK I was really interested in the discussion on tipping. Having been the the US on numerous occasions I get the tipping thing in restaurants (15-25%) but am never sure on valets, room services, maid service etc..

Also, I am interested to know from Kevin... you gave a review of the new Italian restaurant over at the Swan (or Dolphin?) and had terrible service - did you tip? I admit, that if service is that poor, I wouldn't tip. Actually, poor service is somthing I haven't encountered yet in the US - the UK can be a different story!

Rich

One of the other things I found interesting from the Podcast was the advice to tip the % on the bill excluding tax, I had allways calculated inclusive would this make much difference?

One of the other things I found interesting from the Podcast was the advice to tip the % on the bill excluding tax, I had allways calculated inclusive would this make much difference?

Hi

Yea, I have to tell ya :):) me too.

Rich

So glad you posted this, as it's been nagging me (I have always tipped total amount including tax)---have I been overtipping all of these years? My gosh, I could have afforded to stay at the GF every year if this is the standard. Do waitresses and waiters know this rule? Huh, I learn something every day here! :confused3

Morning...

Yes, we tipped the servers the usual 15 %.

It is customary to tip on the amount pre-tax here in the States. Not sure why this is...but it's something I've always been told. It doesnt usually make a large difference.

Kevin

Kevin,

What about maids, valets, bellhops...anyone I'm missing??? Whats a good standard? I always tip the valet a couple bucks...but feel like 5 is excessive. I'm still struggling with tipping mousekeeping, this is a new concept to me. Bellhops for a family of 5 I usually give 10 bucks. too much?? too little???

Morning...

Yes, we tipped the servers the usual 15 %.

It is customary to tip on the amount pre-tax here in the States. Not sure why this is...but it's something I've always been told. It doesnt usually make a large difference.

Kevin

What is the tax in WDW?

Tipping is an individual thing. It rewards people for their service.

I tip restaurant servers, room service, valets, bellmen and housekeeping.

The tax on food in Orlando is 7%.

Kevin

Bellboys $1 to $2 per bag.
Valets I generally tip about $3 maybe $5.
Tipping housekeeping is as far as I know not expected but still welcomed. Go ahead and do so if you're so inclined and pleased with your service.
Waiters 15 to 20% depending upon location and level of service
Hairdressers and other beauty techs, I tip 15 to 20%

I tip on pre-tax amount. But many people tip on the after-tax amount. Also, some restaurants who have the pre-calculated amounts for tip based on percentage on the reciepts, I have found that some restaurants show amounts based on after tax amounts. So watch this.

Tipping is an individual thing. It rewards people for their service.

I tip restaurant servers, room service, valets, bellmen and housekeeping.

The tax on food in Orlando is 7%.

Kevin

Tipping is an individual thing is most positions, that's true, but not for restuarant servers. They are paid below minimum wage and their tips are calculated into their pay. They are taxed on tips they are assumed to be getting.
I know many people will argue (and they have..lol), but my personal tipping system is..
20% standard (on the total, only because I never thought of doing it before tax), more if the service was excellent maybe 30%
I will only tip 15% if the service was just ok. If the server did their job, nothing more, no personality or whatever. That's my minimum. If the service was bad I would complain and expect better service, then still leave 15%, If it doesn't change or if it's very bad to begin with I would insist on a different server. I actually did this at a Perkins if you could believe it..lol. Not exactly a 4* restaruant..lol. But she was rude, and the manager was more than willing to give us another server.

To NOT tip is almost like taking money from them since they are taxed on a tip you didn't leave them.

Valet service I give $2 taking my car and $3-$4 getting it back.

Housekeeping a minimum of $3 (for myself and my daughter since we always travel together). Housekeeping will change according to the star rating of the hotel. I am currently leaving $5 a day staying at BC club level. $2 for turn down service. However, I left $3 a day for the Hotel Royal Plaza, a 3* hotel. And I left $4 a day for the Peabody, a 4* hotel. It seems I leave $1 per star with $1 extra for club level? Again, I will leave more for special service. The housekeeping at the Peabody left my daughter a whole bunch of the cute soap ducks (the Peabody ducks are their mascots) because she saw how much she liked them. She also left her a soft pink duck blanket and both of us duck embroided slippers usually reserved for club level, which we were not staying at the time. I gave $5 per day and tipped her $25 extra personally before we left. She got the same tip every day, still was extreemly nice to us and treated my daughter special from the 1st day. I knew she wasn't doing it for a better tip since she was getting the same thing. The extra was well deserved I thought.

Bellmen, usually $2 per bag but a minimum of $5 and max of $10.

I will tip a host/hostess if I want a certain table and get it. The amount depends on how expensive the restaruant.

I don't think I missed anyone.

Remember, except for servers, all other tipping is optional (I pretty sure anyway).

Oh, and if you're on the dining plan at Disney, remember 18% gratuity IS included. If I get very good service, which is usually, I will leave an extra $5.

Hope this helps.
Anc96

Regarding valet tipping. They charge, I think, $11 a day at the resorts, and we usually go out 2 different times a day, that's 2 times picking up our car and 2 times returning. Are you talking $5 each time? Like an additional $20 a day?

Regarding valet tipping. They charge, I think, $11 a day at the resorts, and we usually go out 2 different times a day, that's 2 times picking up our car and 2 times returning. Are you talking $5 each time? Like an addition $20 a day?

I have heard tip on pick up only.

I will tip a host/hostess if I want a certain table and get it. The amount depends on how expensive the restaruant.

Anc96

Do people still do that? I thought that was a thing of the past...maybe I need to go to nicer resturants :-)

I'm one of those people from another country where tipping isn't the norm. I often find my trips to the US stressful when it comes to tipping as I'm always scared that I will do the wrong thing. I have to say that I see tipping as a reward for good service. I guess thats because its the only reason you would do it here. I find it strange that it is done just to make up the difference in a wage that they should be getting from their employer. I can't believe they get paid so low, particularly in high end places. Those restaurants must be a gold mine if they can get away paying that to an employee. Now all that is not to say I don't tip. I will tip here if the service deserves it and always do in the US as it is expected.

I find it strange that it is done just to make up the difference in a wage that they should be getting from their employer.

It's just the way it's always been over here. You, the customer, are going to end up paying for it either way. Most good waiters will tell you they prefer it that way as well. A good waiter in a decent restaurant can do very well on tips. I know I always tip well when the service is excellent.

Do people still do that? I thought that was a thing of the past...maybe I need to go to nicer resturants :-)
In college, I was the head hostess at PF Chang's...and in my 2 years working, I was tipped 3x. And we were told to refuse tips unless they were persistent.

Let me share my tipping.

Restaurants, I agree with the previous poster that 15% is my minimum if the service was just ok. But even if they weren't that great I will still do 15%. As the previous poster said, servers make very little per hour and the rest has to come from tips. Now, if there service was good, great or excellent I usually do 18-22%, with 20% being my norm for great service :thumbsup2 . The amount I tip on includes tax.

Now, for luggage, the norm is $1/bag, I believe. (But if we have four bags, I just give $5 instead of the 4 singles :P)

Mousekeeping...$1/day/person. Example, we are staying @ POFQ 6 nights, tipping $2 a day (put inside an envelope with "Mousekeeping" & the date written on it...and we will leave it in a very OBVIOUS place so it doesn't get overlooked or thrown away) for a total of $12 for our stay. Best thing to do is tip per day because you could have different housekeepers throughout your stay. So if your housekeeper left you something special when they made up your beds :wizard: and you decided to leave a little tip to thank them, the responsible housekeeper might not receive it. Anyways, with Mousekeeping, I think it is completely optional if you tip. :goodvibes

For valet, I have never tipped when I dropped off my car. I only tip when I pick up, and that varies from $2-$5 depending on the service & location.

My server & valet tipping is based off of my restaurant experience.

Sidenote---please tip your delivery person! My DBf worked as a Chinese delivery guy back in college and many people wouldn't tip him. With delivery orders there was a $2 service fee & customers would always ask him if that went directly to him. He would answer yes, and they would say, "Okay then. Thanks!" And not tip :( The service fee covers the drivers' gas & like servers, they make little/hour and make their money off of tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter