Tipping

I sympathize with those from overseas that come here and have to figure out tipping, it's something not even every one in this country agrees on! I had a reverse problem when I visited thailand & japan where tips aren't customary. I'd leave tips, but my japanese friend would tell me not to. But it's so ingrained in us here that it just felt wrong not leaving them anything! I do wish tipping was standardized here. I always leave the 15% even if the service was poor, and I kind of just wish they'd include it automatically on the bill, but leave room for us to add more.

I sympathize with those from overseas that come here and have to figure out tipping, it's something not even every one in this country agrees on! I had a reverse problem when I visited thailand & japan where tips aren't customary. I'd leave tips, but my japanese friend would tell me not to. But it's so ingrained in us here that it just felt wrong not leaving them anything! I do wish tipping was standardized here. I always leave the 15% even if the service was poor, and I kind of just wish they'd include it automatically on the bill, but leave room for us to add more.

So very true! Everyone tips differently. Whatever floats your boat. :thumbsup2
Also true about the differences between countries. When I have friends visit from Korea, they don't get the whole tipping thing. :P

Regarding valet tipping. They charge, I think, $11 a day at the resorts, and we usually go out 2 different times a day, that's 2 times picking up our car and 2 times returning. Are you talking $5 each time? Like an additional $20 a day?

Disney Resorts and most other hotels charge valet on a daily basis (if you're using it daily). If you come and go more than once it's only one charge. That also applies at Disney if you go to another resort, you are still only charged one valet charge per day.

I know that a lot of people only tip valet when they receive their car as other posters have said, it's all optional.

I have never had a host/hostess refuse a tip. I don't do it often, but the times I have, they've taken it without a problem.

I've also heard that Disney conceirge are not supposed to accept a tip, but 2 days ago I watched one do so. I was surprised because I didn't think they were supposed to. I wouldn't even know which one to tip since there are 2 desks here and anywhere from 2 - 4 conceirge people around them. And, most days there are different people.
I think If I needed something special done and one of them did it, I would attempt to tip them. They can always refuse.

At restaurants, my base tip is 20% of the full bill. I then will adjust up or down based on the quality of service I receive. I very rarely go below 15%. Unlike some previous posters, I have no problem with tipping 0 for terrible service. This has only happened a couple of times in my life, but, since the tip is for service, I have no issue with leaving 0 if the service level is 0. On these occasions, I have also made my unhappiness known to the manager. I stress that this is very rare. Servers who are that terrible do not last long.

For valet, I give $5 at pickup.
For housekeeping, $2 -$5 per day depending on quality of hotel and service extras.
For luggage, $2 per bag with a $5 minimum and a $10 maximum. I usually give the bus driver a couple of bucks for pulling out the luggage as well.

Housekeeping is the only place where you can really argue that tipping is optional (assuming normal service levels). It is pretty much expected to tip in all the other situations IMO.

At restaurants, my base tip is 20% of the full bill. I then will adjust up or down based on the quality of service I receive. I very rarely go below 15%. Unlike some previous posters, I have no problem with tipping 0 for terrible service. This has only happened a couple of times in my life, but, since the tip is for service, I have no issue with leaving 0 if the service level is 0. On these occasions, I have also made my unhappiness known to the manager. I stress that this is very rare. Servers who are that terrible do not last long.

Hi

I'm kinda glad you posted this comment as I was wondering - coming from the UK - why servers were still tipped if the service was just plain bad. As yet I have never had service that was bad enough not to tip at all, but I know I wouldn't have tipped the servers Kevin had at the new Italian for example (restaurant revview a couple of podcasts ago).

Rich

At what rate is it assumed the wait staff are receiving.

I don't know the wage servers receive, I think that varies.. but I believe it's somewhere between $2.50 - $3.50 per hour? I'm sure there are a lot of servers who can answer that question. I don't know how they figure what they are making in tips though. I can't understand how they can fairly assume a specific amount because depending on how expensive a restaruant is can drastically effect the amount in tips a server makes.

Maybe there's someone here who can answer that.

I can understand how someone who is getting bad service wouldn't want to tip. But, I feel if the service is bad enough to not want to tip, you should get the manager and a different server.
It's rare, but not unheard of, that the manager/supervisor wouldn't immediately get you a different server if you are unhappy.

It must be hard for people from other countries to be thrown into this confusion! But don't feel too bad, except for having a clue with restaruant servers, my DD's father doesn't have a clue who else to tip what! However, my daughter (9yr) knows how much to tip everyone since we travel a lot together.

You can make a little list, and keep in mind, most tips are based on service. Do what feels right to you.

I have heard tip on pick up only.

Lots of people do this. If I were to valet park, I wouldn't - because if there's a shift change, or for some other reason you get two different people to drop off your car and pick it up, you've short changed the guy who TOOK your car.

Likewise with hotel housekeeping. If you want to tip the person who actually cleaned your room, I like to leave the tip daily instead of a lump sum at the end. Unless you're in the room and have seen your housekeeper, you don't know if it will be the same person for your entire stay.

Here in Erie County in New York State, tax is 8.75 percent. We just typically double the tax and the server then gets 17.5%. I usually round up or down based on the service. Really good service, and I'll take it up to the nearest dollar and then add another dollar or two. Really lousy service, I'll round down and then take OFF a dollar or two.

In Florida, I tip based on the post-tax amount. In some of those Disney restaurants, tipping on the post tax amount is so insignificant as to not make a difference. On an $80 bill, the pre-tax amount would be about $75. Which means at 15%, pre-tax tip would be about $11. Post tax tip would be $12. So my opinion is that it doesn't really matter if you tip based on pre or post tax amounts.

When we tip for restaurant service, we always try to give the server the benefit of the doubt. So, for example, one of the dishes comes out a little cold, we assume it's the fault of the chef, not the server. So we don't "punish" the server with a lower tip, especially if he/she fixes it or offers an alternative.

On a separate note, even in my younger, more vindictive days, I never left $0 tip. In the one or two situations where I felt insulted by my servers, they got a nickel. I didn't want them to think I simply forgot the tip! I don't recommend this... But based on the angry glares I recieved, I know it got the point across.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter