Tipping?

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
I know the tipping ritual in the states. I'm curious about DLP as well as Paris, and France in general... What is considered a normal tip in France?

Since every country has their own norms, I'm curious what is appropriate there.

Thanks@

---Paul in Southern NJ

If the menu/bill says 'servis compris' it means the tip is already included. I don't think if it's not included, waiters expect a tip over 10%, unless it's maybe a very fancy meal.

Tipping is not as common in Europe as in the US. You aren't obligated to leave a tip, and no waiter will chase you if you don't. Most waiters' income do not rely on tips. But that doesn't mean it's not appreciated. It's definitely not considered rude, like in some Asian countries.

I usually leave a few euros, rounding up the bill, and depending what's in my wallet.

Service is ALWAYS included in France, even it “service inclus” is missing from the menu. Minimum wages applies to all, there is nothing like a “tipped” position.

That being said, you can always tip in recognition for good service at a restaurant. Usually, people tip not much when they do (sometimes from 0.50€ to 2€ per table), but you can always tip more if you had a wonderful experience. In restaurants, waiters usually pool their tips with the kitchen.

Also, bell services at the hotel, coach drivers, housekeeping do not expect being tipped.

(Source: I'm French.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!