Tipping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
When did they start requiring you to write in your tip before the server takes your bill? We’re on the DDP and they scan our band and ask us to fill in the tip portion before they take it and total it for us to sign. We are good tippers so it’s not like I’m trying to cheat them. I just feel like it’s inappropriate to basically ask us how much we’re tipping. Everywhere else you eat they run your credit card and bring back the slip to sign and leave. Only Tutto did that here so far. I think it makes guests feel pressured to tip higher than they might otherwise because they know the server is going to see it while still there. I didn’t think that was proper etiquette and just wondered when that started. I don’t ever remember that from before.

When we were there about a month ago, I noticed the same thing. They had us write in the tip before they printed the final receipt. It was a little awkward to leave the tip before we were totally finished with the transaction, but on the other hand it was nice to have the final receipt be the actual final receipt. Left no worries that a server might change the tip or mix ours up with someone elses check, etc.

Perhaps its for efficiency? Saves another trip back to the machine & table?

In all of the Disney restaurants I’ve worked since the start of the dining plan without the automatic grat, this has been the practice.

The way the computer system is set up, we must type in the tip amount in order to get a receipt to print out for your signature with the tip included. It’s very different than when you pay with a credit card to begin with. If you leave the tip line blank and we run it through the computer as a zero tip, you will notice the receipt you are given to sign for the dining plan is all zeroed out and there is no where to add a tip on the receipt. Once this is done, if you want to add a tip onto your room account or credit card, we (as a server) must find a manager to do so as you no longer have a check in the computer system. We then will need another signature from you making you wait even longer. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
I always leave the tip in cash and write "cash" if there's a spot to write it in on the receipt. That's always an option if you're uncomfortable with writing in the amount. I make sure to bring enough cash specifically for that.

I tried that on our first trip but got tired of hauling all that cash around and worrying about having the right denominations. It was so much easier just to write the tip in.

Thankfully this trip (unlike last trip), we had pretty great servers overall so it wasn’t an issue.

I hope they do this with non-DDP, too. It seems much more efficient for the customer and wait staff as well.
Also, if the tip is not up to par, it probably isn't the diner who should be the one feeling a bit uncomfortable.

I want to know how my service is BEFORE I leave a tip. How am I supposed to decide what is appropriate?

I want to know how my service is BEFORE I leave a tip. How am I supposed to decide what is appropriate?

The way I am understanding this, the cast member is asking about the tip at the end of the meal before they bring out the check. Not at the beginning of the meal where, as you said, it wouldn’t make sense.

You order the food.
You receive the food.
You eat the food.
You receive the bill.
You decide on the value of the service.
You tip.
Ok than I am misunderstanding OP I guess. I took this post as they were bringing the bill right away and having you fill in tip then coming back to have you sign. We often ask for our bill right away so that we can leave when we are done and don’t have to wait for the sometimes very busy servers.

In all of the Disney restaurants I’ve worked since the start of the dining plan without the automatic grat, this has been the practice.

The way the computer system is set up, we must type in the tip amount in order to get a receipt to print out for your signature with the tip included. It’s very different than when you pay with a credit card to begin with. If you leave the tip line blank and we run it through the computer as a zero tip, you will notice the receipt you are given to sign for the dining plan is all zeroed out and there is no where to add a tip on the receipt. Once this is done, if you want to add a tip onto your room account or credit card, we (as a server) must find a manager to do so as you no longer have a check in the computer system. We then will need another signature from you making you wait even longer. I hope this makes sense.

My dad owns a restaurant and this is how their point of sale system works too. We hate it but the system won’t allow it another way.

We used tables in wonderland this trip (no dining plan) and since 18% is automatically added we never had this issue. We were able to write in the additional tip after the card was scanned.

Usually you get the bill and give ur method of payment. Waiter takes it and returns with the receipt to sign. At this point you add or leave tip and leave.
From
What I am reading you need to add the tip when giving over your credit card. That is weird.
Servers in any restaurant that I have been to don’t even collect the receipt until after you leave. (Or pick up the cash tip)

Usually you get the bill and give ur method of payment. Waiter takes it and returns with the receipt to sign. At this point you add or leave tip and leave.
From
What I am reading you need to add the tip when giving over your credit card. That is weird.
Servers in any restaurant that I have been to don’t even collect the receipt until after you leave. (Or pick up the cash tip)

Who cares if they see what you're tipping them before you leave? I usually always tip 20% but if I didn't and/or they said something about how much I tipped I'd be quickly revising my tip to $0

Who cares if they see what you're tipping them before you leave? I usually always tip 20% but if I didn't and/or they said something about how much I tipped I'd be quickly revising my tip to $0

Well exactly my point. It is awkward

The idea that a server could or might have a reaction to the tip. It’s like a gift that should not be opened in front of me. Lol

And yes I do tip 20%. We also order alcohol which brings the bill up.

Question answered. Since this is turning into personal tipping habits, thread is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts