• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips and tricks?

Veronibrad

Earning My Ears
I'm looking for any tips or tricks to discovery cove seaworld aquatica and Bush gardens. I'll be giving my 15yo a trip for xmas. We will be going last week of February 1st week of March. He is legally blind and has autisim and refuses to wear glasses outside of the house so I do know discovery cove has prescription Goggles. I haven't been to Florida since he was one and this board gave us so many tricks to use at Disney, it made all the difference in out vacation.

Discovery Cove has partnered with The International Board of Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards (IBCCES), a global leader in online training and certification programs, to become designated as a Certified Autism Center (CAC). It is our goal to provide every family with an enjoyable and memorable visit to Discovery Cove, and we are proud to offer specialized services to guests with autism and other special needs.

https://discoverycove.com/orlando/help/guests-with-disabilities/certified-autism-center/
you may want to e-mail Discovery and ask about the perscrip' masks cuz 'legally blind' suggests to me a pretty strong set of lens is needed and I'm not sure 'how strong' DC has available . . . (and I don't wear glasses)

For SeaWorld, look ahead at all the shows they offer and start making a plan about which ones you want to go to. Showtimes are usually online. Once you have a rough plan of what shows you want to go to at what times, you can plan around that. As a note, I believe most stadiums open up 30 minutes before the show starts, so I would recommend going a little early to find a seat that works for you (for example, you might want to sit closer to the front to see better, or sit further up to be away from the water). You can bring food into the outdoor stadiums so it's good to grab a snack and casually sit back and wait for the show to start.

Also check on the website what animals you and your son might be most interested in checking out. I believe they schedule some times for keepers and trainers to come out to talk about the animals and answer questions. Some animals can be a little tricky to find around the park, so if you want to see the beluga whales note that they are in the Wild Arctic area, and you kind of have to search them out instead of casually walking by them.

Speaking of planning, the park itself is pretty spread out and honestly not super organized, like how Magic Kingdom is. It's easy to get a little lost and turned around, or to just get too many steps in because you are zig zagging around the park. Having a rough plan will help with that.

The general rules to most theme parks are that people will naturally go into the first thing they see. In SeaWorld, that is Manta. If you are planning on riding the coaster or going into the walk through aquarium (which I recommend, it's a cool area) skip that as it will be packed. The penguin ride and exhibit is pretty popular and near the back of the park, so maybe try starting there first thing.

As a note, SeaWorld is an autism certified park so you might what to check on their website what services they might be able to offer your son. For example, I know they have quiet rooms you can visit if you need them, which are just an area that is quiet and low sensory if your son needs a break during the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter