Tips for a cold Magic Kingdom day with a baby?

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
Hubby and I are heading to MK tomorrow with our 1 year old who is crawling. Any tips onhow we should handle a cold day (high of 53, low of 42)? We plan to be there from 9:15am until fireworks end.

I wanted baby to nap on TTA but am afraid it will be too cold :( i guess I could try to get him to nap on Carousel of Progress or our City Mini GT stroller since he’ll be toasty warm in his stroller muff. Also we were thinking we could take baby to the convention floor couches at the Contemporary Resort and just warm up and hopefully have him nap there.

We have fast passes for splash, space (each will require baby switch), haunted mansion, and pirates.

Would love any advice. Thanks!!

Skip Splash altogether. I know it doesn't matter for the baby, but you may get soaked. DH and DD rode in November and DH got soaked. It had been in the low 70s that day, but by the time they went on Splash it was dark out and no longer warm. He was miserable and we left the park after that. Try to replace it with Thunder or anything else. Of course, when DD and I rode splash on a sunny 75 degree day later in the week, we barely got wet.

As for the baby, if you still use a carrier, bring it. Being right next to you will keep him warm. Also make sure he has a hat for when you have him out of the stroller.

Baby care center! Not positive there is a place to nap in there, but you should check. But it is a spot to get out of the cold if needed, and a great place to relax for a bit.

I think nap in the stroller is probably your best bet, and I agree I would skip splash, way to cold change that FP!

Also, 53 in the sun I don’t think will be that bad tomorrow, but once the sun goes down it will feel much cooler.

Thanks for these ideas!! I wish i could change my Splash FP but the only times left for BTMR are before/after we’re there

I also just read that the Wilderness Lodge could be a cozy place to chill out mid afternoon but that’s when it will be warmest outside...

We were at MK last January with a high of 58 low of 45. I will say it felt a lot cooler than 58... like 48. We are used to the cold (it’s 6 degrees right now) but this was a wet chill that went right through you. I was chilly in my thick fleece, but the kids had on the light puffer coats that blocked the cold air, and they had a blast. We also got a blanket and covered the City Mini stroller while one of the kids napped. The shop at the Space Mountain exit was one of her napping places. It was nicely heated, and there was space in the corner for a stroller and a tired mama. We also did Splash Mountain because we had ponchos and there was virtually no wait because it was so cold. They must have turned down the water parts because the waterfall after the drop was off, and we weren’t sprayed the whole ride.

I also just read that the Wilderness Lodge could be a cozy place to chill out mid afternoon but that’s when it will be warmest outside...

I love the WL, especially at this time of year, but it's not cozy. Huge high ceilings. We kept our warm clothing on the whole time we were visiting the lobby on our first trip (which was December 2010 and literally freezing some days).

We are used to the cold (it’s 6 degrees right now) but this was a wet chill that went right through you.

Yep. When it's cold in florida it's just awful. Cold breezes going through a swamp...brr.

If you're keeping him in his stroller be sure to put a warm layer under him. The bottom side of strollers can get so cold!

I would go to CR and go to the convention floor as you mentioned. WL is beautiful and it's nice to sit by the fire (the sitting area in Boulder Ridge is also small and comfy), but I wouldn't want to take one of the smaller boats over in chilly temps. We've done it before and it wasn't fun.

Bundle up baby with warm clothes, a hat and couple of blankets. The key to staying warm is layers. When in the stroller put a rain cover on to protect him from the wind. Baby will most probably not even feel the difference but if you are cold there are plenty of places to warm up.

I'm from Canada where kids go play outside at -13 F so Florida's cold snaps never bothered us but I guess when you are not used to the cold it can be very uncomfortable. We travel with hats, gloves and light coats in the winter months anyway so we are usually prepared for a cold day in the parks. My first trip to Disney was in January, when my youngest was 8 months old and it was one of the coldest days recorded in Florida. We still had a blast but ended up taking more coffee breaks to warm up. We did have sit down meals scheduled for lunch and dinner so it gave us an opportunity to get out of the cold for a nice warm meal.

Hope that helps;)

Thanks for these ideas!! I wish i could change my Splash FP but the only times left for BTMR are before/after we’re there

The Wilderness Lodge is a great place on a chilly day and those fireplaces are just the best place to rest by.

First, how do you have Four FP? I would skip Splash. We usually go in winter and splash in the cold is not fun. We have lots of cold trips under our belt. I agree to dress her in layers and check her stomach often to be sure she is not too cold or warm. Don’t forget hands and feet . Plan a sit down meal to escape the cold and take advantage of indoor shows and attractions. Avoid rides like Dumbo; super cute pictures but super cold in the air. Are you onsite? That’s a super long day for a baby. Maybe go back to the room for a nap and break.

First, how do you have Four FP?

I’m guessing one parent has a FP for Space and the other has a FP for Splash, and they’ll utilize rider swap at both rides. That’s going to eat up a ton of time as both of those rides take awhile to experience, but I’m not one to judge how others use their time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter