Tips for an August trip

pentex

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW in the summer time (end of Aug) for the first time (we usually go in the fall). Can any summer veterans give us some survival tips, please??

Cotton clothing, sunscreen, water, absolutely comfortable footwear with at least one extra pair, visor or hat with brim (setting sun is brutal on the eyes) poncho or some other form of rain gear, umbrella, afternoon breaks, planning to diffuse temper driven arguments about who wants to do what, eating lightly and perhaps more frequently, washcloth to wet and use on hot faces, necks, etc. Hope this helps some. August in Florida is wonderful if you have a few supplies ready to offset the heat and humidity. Have a wonderful time! :D

We found that a battery operated fan/water bottle came in very handy. We were able to mist ourselves while standing in the sun on long lines.

Mister fan for the heat - the CMs will even add ice to it during the day if you ask. This was a life saver.

Ponchos - it rains a lot in Aug.

Space out indoor and outdoor attractions. Switching from one to the other helped to keep our temperatures down.

All of the parks have misting stations where you can stand to cool off. I found the ones by the interactive fountain in Epcot to be my favorite. The kids played in the fountain and I cooled off in the misters.

Summer is doable if you set your expectations for heat and humidity and slow your pace down.

we have always gone in june. one big help for us was to always hit the surprise morning at whatever park, go until lunch and after lunch go back to the room for a nap in the cool (crank up the ac before leaving that morning) while it is a couple of hours out of the day a good nap when you are hot and tired can make you feel a lot better. also drink plenty of water (not as much soda) getting even a little dehydrated can make you feel drained of energy. also getting in shape (walking especially) before you go can make the walking much easier. look on the tips section of this and other boards for more info.
good luck in the heat,
fellow summer tripper,
mikewdw

We were late Oct early Nov family ourselves and last year did the last week of August and to us, NEVER again! lol I was dying it was soooo hot, however, I did not plan on it being that hot that you couldn't even enjoy the pool or take pictures, yuck.....and we didn't get a drop of rain which I would have LOVED!

If I were to go again that time of year I would invest in one of those misty cooler thingies....and bring lots and lots of tank tops to change into. Also, I would bring lots and lots of sunscreen and a hat! I must say that there were some perks go going this time of year, namely that the parks are practically empty (with the exception of the Peter Pan ride, go figure) and there are lots of places to cool off in too. If I didn't have little ones (4 year old twins) and had to push a stroller around then it would have been a lot easier and more tolerable for me. My sil loved it and the kids (with the exception of the little ones) didn't seem to mind it either because they just soaked themselves constantly!

Anyway, it's still Disney and it's still lots and lots of fun, just be prepared that's all.

Definitely the fan/misters - we prefer the small ones that hang around your neck - you can refill them in the cold water fountains - they are a lifesaver. A hat or visor - here's a strange thing my sister and I did with our kids - we froze water bottles in the mini-fridge (took out the ice cube trays) overnight, wrapped them in paper towels and put them in plastic bags. Carried them in our pockets - held them to our faces - then drank the water - used the wet paper towel to cool off, too - it worked for us!

We are chronic August goes - I love hot weather.

Mister fans are a must - you canget the scaled down version at WalMart or Walgreens. They are usually farely cheap. Bring extras, especially if you have kids. My DS and his buddy must have lost 3 when we were there.

Sunscreen another must. If you wear a visor and a fair haired please remember you head sun burns also. One of the worst burns I ever had was on my scalp and it is not pretty. Also if you are wearing sandals - feet burn too.

Aloe with lidocane if you can get it - spray on not rub in. It is usually blue(don't know why) the spray is a life saver. Trying rubbing a sunburn on any kid. I also put one in the mini fridge fo rnite time. The lidocane takes the sting out and lets you sleep so your not tired and grouchy the next day.

I also carry extra socks & undies. Sometimes just changing up can make you feel alive again.

And of course water - water everywhere!!

and it really does help to get in some swim time at the hotel as it will go a long way towards helping to cool off. A water park can be a great way to fight the humidity on some days too in addition to eating ice cream/popsicles and drinking cold bottled water. Take as many rest breaks as needed so becoming tired very easily won't be a major problem because the beaming hot sun can be a draining force energy wise to be reckoned with especially during mid-day.

Also, be sure and take advantage of attending as many indoor attractions and rides as possible within the parks in order to enjoy the air conditioning for periods of time; bring along a face cloth to help control some of the sweating that will definitely take place. Certainly pack light-colored shorts and shirts (instead of dark) to help diffuse some of the body heat factor.

We went in August one year and the humidity was terrible. I live in Alabama, so we are somewhat used to it, however it was to much for us.

For the parks, I would suggest getting there early. Pick the attractions you really want to see and do those first. If you get all of them in try to go and hit some of the other attractions. I would definately leave the park in the early afternoon and go back to the resort and take a swim or cool off some way. Then in the late afternoon, go back to the parks when it has cooled down.

For clothing cotton t-shirts, shorts, a hat, and sun glasses. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water because you will sweat just standing around.

Hope this helps, but just pace yourself in the parks and have a good time.

We are also going in August 9th - 31st (this is the first time that we have been at this time of year), but have experienced really hot weather in May (98) when we visited for 3 weeks and the temp reached 105 and it rained for only 1 day, but as the weather in London is never like this we loved it, but would not have been without our mister and frozen mineral water. We are really looking forward to going and the children are counting down the days and even if its hot WE WILL HAVE AN ABSOLUTLY BRILLIANT TIME...................

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter