Tips for hosting an exchange student from Segovia Spain please!!

ohMom

Kids Get Arthritis Too!
pardon my ingles :rolleyes1

we are hosting an exchange student from Segovia, Spain. She arrives tomorrow and we are so excited! I wondered if there was anyone familiar with Spain that could give me suggestions on how to make her feel more comfortable while at our home? She'll be here for 2 1/2 weeks, it will go fast. But if there is anything that we can have in our pantry, or bathroom, or wherever that would help her feel very welcomed...I'd love to hear!!

:thanks:

People in Spain drink very strong coffee, not the american kind, it is usually grinded before each cup.

They tend to eat a very light breakfast, mostly of coffee, maybe a cookie or 2 or toast.

They are outspoken and mostly loud, but they are very warm people.

Enjoy her visit!

Enjoy her visit - lucky you!

She's visiting you to learn your culture. Just be sure to ask her if there is something she would like - maybe take her to the grocery store & have her pick out something. Their milk is different than ours, and some of their food. (My kids like the milk in Spain better)

hey thanks for the tips!! it helped to not expect her to eat much in the morning, i had to fight the mother in me wanting to feed her! we did take her to the grocery today, she is shy about teling us what she wants to try so we just showed her many things and let her say yes or no.

how is milk different there? i noticed she isn't drinking much other than water or OJ. she did say she liked chocolate milk, I wonder if it will be different for her? she doesn't like Spain coffee, we are going to take her to starbucks to see if she likes american coffee :teeth:

we are having a BLAST with her, she is very kind, we got a shy one, not at all loud ;)

one more question -- there seem to be several free translator sites -- do you have one you recommend versus another? we have used it to type in simple phrases if we are having trouble communicating.....like "you need a packed lunch for tomorrow" for example

Their milk doesn't have to be refrigerated until it's opened, and comes in cartons. We drank the non-fat over there and it tasted more flavorful than our nonfat here.

Over there, Cafe Americano is expresso coffee (a little bit) poured in a cup of hot milk, and tastes a bit like our normal coffee.

My cousins are used to eating more fuit & vegetables, and do not eat spicy food (like the Mexican food here).

I remember when I spent a month in Germany, and staying up to have a conversation with the parents - we used a pad of paper to illustrate when we couldn't understand each other. I still have that paper (from '78 lol).

I'm glad it's working out for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter