tips for lonely teen....

Mrs Lapo

Mouseketeer
Hey, so I am planning a trip for my family DD13, DD8 and DS5 + my best friend & his DD7. I am a little worried that my oldest will be left out as the girls usually pair up & my son just tags along with them. But they are all so much closer in age & get along extremely well. I won't have the ability to just go off whenever she wants to do more "big kid things" with her because I will still have my other children BUT want to make sure that this trip is special for her. I was considering letting her help me plan it & pick our restaurants etc but I was just a little curious how other people dealt with this kind of thing. I mean, the rest of the kids aren't exactly babies so I don't think it will be too big of a deal. But I want her to feel special in some small way during this trip because her sister will have her best friend to spend time with and she won't. Thanks for any suggestions.

Are DS and your best friend comfortable together? Would the 7 & 8 yo girls want totride any of the bigger rides? Would you and best friend be willing to split up at times with perhaps you taking the three girls on bigger rides while best friend takes DS on something smaller? Maybe for rides like Space and Indy since they're close. How tall is DS and would he be willing to ride things the thrill rides he's tall enough for?

I definitely like the idea of getting DD13 involved in the planning. Have her pick one thing she really wants to do in each park and find a way to do it, even if it's just the two of you. Will she be 14 before the trip? If so, maybe she'd enjoy riding with her brother on some rides. As close as the 7 & 8 yo are, I imagine at times the best friend and daughter may want to ride together, which would give DD13 the chance to ride with her sister. Mostly I think by just asking her input both with planning, as well as in the park, will help her feel included. Good luck!

My family splits up at times so kids can drive part of the schedule. If one of the adults can manage the three younger kids for chunks of time, I wouldn't hesitate to plan for your older daughter to have some time (rides, a show, a special meal?) away from the others. Having some time apart might even lessen the odd man out feeling when the whole group is together. My kids are four years apart....Divide and Conquer strategy is often part of our planning.

I know Disney is expensive but is there a way she can bring a friend too? It would be awesome if you could plan it and surprise her at the airport when her best friend shows up. I realize that this is not an easy feat....

Otherwise, I would ask your best friend if she can watch your younger two one night so you can have some one on one time with your older daughter. One of the best trips I ever took to Disney was with my older daughter, she was 16 at the time. She was my only one at the time (my kids are 18 years apart) so it was a bit easier. She's 25 now and she still talks about that trip.

my kids have a wide age gap, my son is 15 and my daughter is 6. My son went off by himself a few times to ride, and I would find playgrounds like the boneyard and tom sawyer island where my daughter could play and my son and I could hang out and talk. It worked out well.

I’m not sure, but think it’s sweet that this is on your mind for your daughter....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter