Tips for protecting baby from sun

erin1715

DIS Veteran
We will be taking our baby to WDW for her first trip in May. My husband and I have been many times but never with children. Our daughter will be 5 months old and sunscreen is not recommended until 6 months. How should we protect her little legs from the sun but also keep her cool? She will mostly be in a stroller or baby carrier.

I would ask her pediatrician (if you haven’t already) his or her opinion on using sunscreen at 5 months during a trip to Disney where her legs may be exposed to sun.

Coolibar also makes sun blankets for babies with SPF that you could drape over her legs (they are very breathable) but she may constantly kick it off.

I agree with PP. Our pedi said she would rather we used a limited amount of good sun cream then have baby get burnt.

Plus you’re in and out a lot between stores and rides we actually don’t tend to use much sun cream at Disney.

Hat and light spf blanket are useful. A stroller with good sun coverage :)

Have fun! Kids at Disney is extra magical

We have used sunscreen on both our babies as they were summer born babies and in Australia the sun is the worst in the world. We used it from birth. Nothing wrong with my kids and no sun burn either.

Same as above, while sunscreen isn't recommended for babies under 6 months, our pediatrician recommended we use it while away when DD was 4 months old. She said use one with a really high zinc content is best for babies. Since sometimes there is no way to keep them in the shade at Disney.

Our Pediatrician recommended Blue Lizard for DD before 6 months. We live in the south in a pretty sunny/ hot area, and she is quite fair. It worked for us..... although I never used it on her face. I just made sure she had a large sunhat on. Hope you all have a great trip!

DS, DD and I are pretty fair and I really dislike sunscreen. Wide brim hats are a must, of course, and a stroller with a good canopy. I've found that super lightweight, loose clothing can be really comfortable in the sun, even in warm weather. Linen is the best if you can find it. I find that a linen long-sleeved button down linen shirt (we've gotten ours at Gap baby and Gymboree) over a super-thin tee has worked well for us. If you're in a shady area you can slip the shirt off, and in the sun you can put it on with just the first button done. We like light natural material pants that can be rolled up in the shade or if it's just too hot for comfort, like these. Have a blast with your little one!

We took our baby at 3 months in a very hot April last year. Our doctor also recommended using sunscreen. Not any sunscreen but a more natural, non spray brand for babies. Diaper rash cream with zinc also works great. We also found cooling towels and stroller fans to be really helpful.

How about clothes with built in SPF? Long sleeves, long legs, etc. Hat, sunglasses (our son started wearing sunglasses as soon as he was able so he never minded wearing them.

We took a 2.5m old a couple years ago. Our pediatrician also told us to use baby sunscreen when needed on our trip. I brought some and was hoping to avoid it. I came with cooling towels, stroller fan, stroller with extended canopy that could flip directions and a uv protection umbrella to try to block sun. Within the first hr in the park though I made the decision to use the sunscreen. It was too hard to avoid sun constantly when moving throughout the parks.

Check the sunshade on your stroller. The bigger the better! When they’re still small it’s best that they can be in total shade during stroller naps. Also, a vent flap in the back and stroller fan are crucial to keeping it cool inside the stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter