AlyssaH96

Earning My Ears
We’re planning a trip in August and were wondering if you have any tips on staying cool in the tent at night. We’re thinking of bringing fans, and figured it would help. This is the only month we’re able to go, so any tips you have would be great! Thank you!

We camped in august back in 2018 and brought a portable a/c and a fan. The fan was not enough. We zipped the exhaust tube into the window and had a bucket under the table to catch the moisture from the a/c. Really glad we brought it with us.

59757C97-B2D4-416E-932B-D575F64D92B1.jpeg

We camped in august back in 2018 and brought a portable a/c and a fan. The fan was not enough. We zipped the exhaust tube into the window and had a bucket under the table to catch the moisture from the a/c. Really glad we brought it with us.

View attachment 465798
Thanks for the tip! The only issue is that we’re going to be flying in and I’m not sure if we’ll be able to bring an a/c on the plane!

Thanks for the tip! The only issue is that we’re going to be flying in and I’m not sure if we’ll be able to bring an a/c on the plane!

I want to ask if you are fully aware of camping conditions in August in Central Florida, Alyssa?

Where is your home state? How experienced a tent camper are you? (sets expectations)

Weather conditions at WDW in Florida in August are not kind to tent campers. It is hot, humid, rainy, and lows in the mid 70s. That's one reason why, even with a camper/rv, the August time of year is the cheapest time to be at the Fort (because there is the least demand). Some of it is due to guest calendars (school in some areas starts back in August reducing demand) but for the Fort the weather is still pretty tough until at least the end of September.

I've been on this board for 15 years and the consistent reply I hear (and I have a popup camper, have been to the Fort nearly annually in that time frame, and REFUSE to go in summer) is that summer is tough on tent campers. Too hot to sleep, clothes never dry out, sun is rough in the parks, etc.) Bottled water is expensive, tap water has a sulpher taste, and bugs (although the Fort sprays for mosquitos) are at their max that time of year.

So are you sure you want to do this?

You could stay in a Value Resort on property or even stay off property in a hotel (refreshing sleep in an AC room) and maybe visit the Fort for a late afternoon walkabout, dinner, and campfire singalong with a movie.

We've had stories of people who fly in and have a miserable experience (for any number of reasons). So I have to ask again:

Are you sure you want to do this? Even if it is the most miserable camping experience of your life?

Bama Ed

PS - I hope I have put the voodoo hex on you and you will have record perfect August weather now. :crazy: :teacher:

PPS - Honestly, you asked for my tip and that is, "Don't do it (that time of year)".

PPPS - I have met snowmedic (posted above) in person. He has lived in Florida before and knew to bring the AC - smart man (heck the whole family is smart). If you are there for a weekend, you might gut it out. But for your peace of mind and minimal comfort on a stay longer than two nights, you need AC or a hotel room. You can bookmark this thread - I ask you to.

Last edited:

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. The issue we’re facing is that there will be a 7y/o coming along who can’t miss any time off school. We’re aware of the heat as we’ve been the first week of september (although we DID stay in a value) and the heat doesn’t bother us much.
Staying in a value would mean we’d have to cut our trip in half, so that would be a little tough as well.
I was hoping there would be a way for us to be able to stay at the campground and somehow keep cool, but it looks like that would be difficult as we’d have to fly all the supplies in! Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it!

Staying in a value would mean we’d have to cut our trip in half, so that would be a little tough as well.

Stay offsite then maybe.

Or look at the Disney Springs hotels who still offer shuttles, 60 day FP, etc.

Fair enough. You know what you're getting into then.

Good luck to you!

Bama Ed

I wasn’t sure what I should do, which is why I asked for tips. We’re not able to go in August now anyways.

Sure, Florida is hot in summer, but so are many other places throughout the United States where people camp in tents. In general a fan and plenty of water would be the priorities for me.

My advice would be to go for it. Also, for a little background on my perspective, I think it's fair to mention that I did a cross country trip spending most nights in a tent... and I have kayaked with my gear out to an island in Boston Harbor that had no electricity or drinking water for a weekend of tent camping... and I have spent a night or two in my tent in a campsite when there was some snow on the ground... and I may be a little crazy.

We have a REI tent and camp throughout the summer in GA. We also have used it in September and October (I know not as hot) at the fort. We use a window AC unit and just put it on a small stand under the rain fly blowing in through the back door of the tent. We just zip the door around the front of the AC unit. It has worked really well for us and we have been doing that for years.

If you are flying are you using a rental company to provide tents and beds and chairs and things ask them for an AC too!

I was going to also say do the portable AC shipped in, then ship it home- or gift it to another tenter so they are extra cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!