Tips & Suggestions for a Disney Resort Staycation

ponygirl0nj

Earning My Ears
My family will be staying at the AKL for a 4 day weekend at the end of January 2019. I will be traveling with my husband, 5 yo daughter and my parents, who are in their early 80s. I am looking for some suggestions of things to do at the resorts. Anyone have any experience with activities at the resorts? Are they limited to kid only options? We do plan on hopping over to Disney Springs and perhaps the Boardwalk during out stay, but we are not going into the parks at all.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Looks like you have stayed at the resorts several times so you know about most of the stuff: trivia and games by the pools, hidden Mickey scavenger hunts, etc. There are pony rides and the horse barn over at Fort Wilderness, campfire & smores with the movie under the stars with visits from Chip & Dale. They also have wagon and carriage rides.

My family will be staying at the AKL for a 4 day weekend at the end of January 2019. I will be traveling with my husband, 5 yo daughter and my parents, who are in their early 80s. I am looking for some suggestions of things to do at the resorts. Anyone have any experience with activities at the resorts? Are they limited to kid only options? We do plan on hopping over to Disney Springs and perhaps the Boardwalk during out stay, but we are not going into the parks at all.

Thanks for your suggestions!
~AKLodge:
1.Go out to the savanna viewing spot at both Jambo and Kidani. Use the night vision goggles and ask the Animal experts questions about what you see.
2. Take the free tour of Boma and a Jiko. This tour explains the African foods and also includes samples of soup, and breads, etc.
3. Sit on the Savana view porches in rocking chairs.
~Grand Floridian Resort:
1. Watch Cinderella and her Prince Charming come down the grand lobby staircase as they lead a parade of children, then waltz together, each afternoon. Check for times, but usually around 3:30ish or so.
2. Also, you can arrive at the Grand Floridian by boat or monorail so that’s part of the fun.
3. Watch the fireworks with piped in music from the garden behind the marina, or the dock area.
4. Listen to live music in the comfortable lobby. There is a piano player and also an orchestra.
~ Port Orleans Riverside Resort:
1.Arrive by boat from the Disney Springs Market place dock. Stroll the paths and bridges along the river as you take in the beautiful landscaping including magnificent huge trees, fountains, and a gazebo.
2. Take a horse and carriage ride along the river.
3. Go fishing at the old fishing hole. You can rent the pole and get bait for a very low price.
~ Epcot Resorts:
Take a boat from the Hollywood Studios parking lot. It will stop at all the resorts including The Beach Club, The Yacht Club, The Boardwalk, and The Swan&Dolphin. Stroll the Boardwalk. Get ice cream at Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club Resort, or at Ample Hills Creamery. Visit all the lobbies and porches. Watch the Epcot fireworks from the bridge.
This is just a start. There are many more things to do including enjoying your resort pool!
Have fun!

Looks like you have stayed at the resorts several times so you know about most of the stuff: trivia and games by the pools, hidden Mickey scavenger hunts, etc. There are pony rides and the horse barn over at Fort Wilderness, campfire & smores with the movie under the stars with visits from Chip & Dale. They also have wagon and carriage rides.

Thank you! It's been a very long time since we've visited Fort Wilderness. We'll have to check it out!

Although we've been to Disney many times, we've mostly spent our time in the parks. Our resort experiences have been limited to the pools and dining

~AKLodge:
1.Go out to the savanna viewing spot at both Jambo and Kidani. Use the night vision goggles and ask the Animal experts questions about what you see.
2. Take the free tour of Boma and a Jiko. This tour explains the African foods and also includes samples of soup, and breads, etc.
3. Sit on the Savana view porches in rocking chairs.
~Grand Floridian Resort:
1. Watch Cinderella and her Prince Charming come down the grand lobby staircase as they lead a parade of children, then waltz together, each afternoon. Check for times, but usually around 3:30ish or so.
2. Also, you can arrive at the Grand Floridian by boat or monorail so that’s part of the fun.
3. Watch the fireworks with piped in music from the garden behind the marina, or the dock area.
4. Listen to live music in the comfortable lobby. There is a piano player and also an orchestra.
~ Port Orleans Riverside Resort:
1.Arrive by boat from the Disney Springs Market place dock. Stroll the paths and bridges along the river as you take in the beautiful landscaping including magnificent huge trees, fountains, and a gazebo.
2. Take a horse and carriage ride along the river.
3. Go fishing at the old fishing hole. You can rent the pole and get bait for a very low price.
~ Epcot Resorts:
Take a boat from the Hollywood Studios parking lot. It will stop at all the resorts including The Beach Club, The Yacht Club, The Boardwalk, and The Swan&Dolphin. Stroll the Boardwalk. Get ice cream at Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club Resort, or at Ample Hills Creamery. Visit all the lobbies and porches. Watch the Epcot fireworks from the bridge.
This is just a start. There are many more things to do including enjoying your resort pool!
Have fun!
Great suggestions! Going fishing will definitely be on the agenda. I had no idea that was possible without renting a boat.

Thanks so much!

Great suggestions! Going fishing will definitely be on the agenda. I had no idea that was possible without renting a boat.

Thanks so much!

You can also rent poles and bait at Fort Wilderness and fish in the Meadow's pond. They also rent bikes and canoes and have archery lessons. We love to do the canoe run.

AoA has daily drawing classes.

If you’re at any of the MK hotels later into the evening you can watch the Electroc Water Pageant on the Seven Seas Lagoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter