Tips to keep you kids safe.

Petals & Pixie Dust

DIS Veteran
I'm curious how everyone makes sure that their child has their contact information on them. When DS was 2 we wrote DH's phone number on his magic band. This worked well.

DS is older now-7 at the time of the trip, but I think like all parents, I still think about how he might be able to connect with us if we get separated. He does not have a history of wandering off, but he is a curious kid that will try to pull away if he really really sees something he wants to see without communicating with us. Luckily, I can tell when he is trying to wiggle away, which prompts me to say, "We don't just pull away. We talk and let mom and dad know what you want to go see."

I see our hands being sweaty, him pulling away, and getting sucked into a sea of people...

I know that there have been tattoos people have used before. We will talk about finding a cast member only. Most likely putting our cell on his magic band.

What are your tips to keeping your kids safe????

When my kids were small I had Silver Bracelets made (like the name ID bracelets from years ago). On the front was sports stuff for DS and Flowers for DD. On the back I had listed our cell phone #'s. Used this for any outing we were taking. They knew if they got lost to find a worker and show them the bracelet with our phone #'s on them. Used them for years.

We did the safety tats. Also, talking about what to do if separated (showing them someone with an Cast Member badge).

Also, be vigilant, but remember that generally, your child is safe at Disneyworld even if separated from you.

Any reports I have heard about real harm to children at Disneyworld have revolved around bodies of water (drowning in pools or the incident with the poor boy being attacked by the alligator). Anyhow, I would avoid bodies of water that aren't pools and practice extreme vigilance in and around the pools.

My daughter’s favorite was when I made her one of the Disney themed dog tags and she got to wear it like a necklace. It had enough room on it to put my name and cell# and our emergency contact back home’s name and cell#.

We made ours in Downtown Disney when we first got there but I see them now in local grocery stores all the time.

When we went when DD was 7, she had my cell number memorized, so we didn't worry about anything for her. DS was almost 2 and we didn't think of doing anything for him either. Sure enough, we had been at the resort for less than an hour and he managed to disappear when we were getting dinner at the QS. We found him less than 5 mins later in the gift shop sitting on the floor looking at a Mickey post card. After that, we took a pic of him every morning on my cell, so we could show it to CMs and know exactly how he was dressed to make it easier for others to help find him if he ever wandered off again. Thankfully, he didn't. We also let him wear glow bracelets at night as that made it a little easier to spot him.

I've also heard of people putting a dog tag with contact info on a kid's shoelace, as it's highly unlikely to fall off, and worst case scenario, in abduction cases, shoes generally aren't changed the way clothes are, and ID bracelets/ necklaces would likely be removed.

Nothing.

Our kids are, well were not wanderers. They always stayed close by and we always stayed by them either with them in a stroller, our hands or our eyes.

But I would say write your number on the clothing tags because I would be concerned the child would take a bracelet or necklace off, you know how kids are!

What about small number beads on a shoelace? Or a pin with beads with the phone number in attached to the shirt, different pins to match different days or Disney colors “lets wear the mickey colors today and see how many Mickey things we can find.”

We use ID bracelets, and at night give them some sort of glow necklace so I can spot them more easily if they wander a little ways away from me. But honestly, Disney World is probably the safest place for kids to get lost. We have seen lost kids a couple of times and the cast members instantly zeroed in on them and kept them happy and entertained until their parents were located.

I'm curious how everyone makes sure that their child has their contact information on them. When DS was 2 we wrote DH's phone number on his magic band. This worked well.

DS is older now-7 at the time of the trip, but I think like all parents, I still think about how he might be able to connect with us if we get separated. He does not have a history of wandering off, but he is a curious kid that will try to pull away if he really really sees something he wants to see without communicating with us. Luckily, I can tell when he is trying to wiggle away, which prompts me to say, "We don't just pull away. We talk and let mom and dad know what you want to go see."

I see our hands being sweaty, him pulling away, and getting sucked into a sea of people...

I know that there have been tattoos people have used before. We will talk about finding a cast member only. Most likely putting our cell on his magic band.

We have RoadId bracelets for all our kids. We actually have them for all of us and my father. They are marketed toward athletes and folks out on the road without ID, but they make kid sized bracelets and they hold up really well and they are not expensive. The kids have the plates with the raised edges because it keeps them from scratching. They wear them all the time, not just at Disney. We have never had to use them for the purpose they are intended, but they have them just in case. They do have different options for your information. You can just put a name and your number right on the plate (that is what we have - actually, mine, my husband's, and my mom's numbers) or you can buy a subscription and you get a bracelet with a number that is called to get the contact or medical information. This is a little more secure if you want to protect your information, but not as easy to use.

This is the website.
https://www.roadid.com/

As far as what we tell our kids, we have always told them to find someone who looks like a mommy. My husband is a firefighter, so he wants them to find a firefighter or police officer, but in reality there are a lot more mommy's than firefighters and not everyone in a uniform is necessarily "safe." I think at Disney finding a cast member is perfect; it doesn't transfer outside of Disney. Disney is really good at finding people. We lost our middle son at Typhoon Lagoon (he didn't know he was lost) and it was minutes before they found him. They same thing happened to family friends on a Disney cruise.

we had tags engraved at a local petco (don't laugh!) - we picked a pink heart shape. Its tiny, maybe an inch big. One side just says mom cell, followed by the number, and the other side says dad cell, followed by the number. I was told somewhere (not sure if it's true) that CMs are trained to look for trinkets or tattoos with numbers on kids. We attached it to her sandal. We also took a picture each morning so we'd remember exactly what she was wearing that day just in case. We also had the tags made for my nephew. He had just learned my brother's cell number, but in a panic we were worried he'd forget.

Nothing.

Our kids are, well were not wanderers. They always stayed close by and we always stayed by them either with them in a stroller, our hands or our eyes.

But I would say write your number on the clothing tags because I would be concerned the child would take a bracelet or necklace off, you know how kids are!

What about small number beads on a shoelace? Or a pin with beads with the phone number in attached to the shirt, different pins to match different days or Disney colors “lets wear the mickey colors today and see how many Mickey things we can find.”
We ended up losing my 6 year old static cling child after turtle talk, the kids sat up front, when they opened up the exit she just walked out and kept going. We found her a minute later, she was upset. She would never wander on purpose, unlike some of her siblings.

We just snap a picture each morning of DD so we know what she was wearing that day. We also wrote our phone number with a sharpie on her hand DD has known our names, city and cell numbers since we stared going.

We didn't do any of those things. We just always had out eyes or hand(or in the stroller) on them at all times. Thankfully we have never lost either of our kids. But I would say that WDW is great with lost kids. Even if they don't have your info, a cast member calls in a lost kid and you go to the nearest cast member and you will get reunited.

We had purchased these tags that went around the kids shoelaces ( they went around the velcro shoes too ) and it had our phone number as well as our name and the child's name.

We also told the kids if they got lost to go to the ride ( or closest ) cast member and ask for help. We told them to give them the tag on their shoe so they could call us.

the main tip I give to this question is take a picture on your phone each day so you know for sure what he is wearing each day. had it happen at small park I work at mother was sure child had green shirt on but when dad came back child had a red shirt on. security had already found child but would not take mother there until they knew for sure they had right parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter