Tips to Protect Yourself from an Attack

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
<font color=navy>With this rapist loose in Torrance (a city right near where I live), everyone is kind of on edge in this area. My dd's classmate's father is a police officer in another neighboring city (if you know LA, you know that we're a conglomorate of cities running into each other), and he sent out the following email. His wife was kind enough to forward it to me:

Hi everyone.

I'm sending this email as a result of the recent serial rapist in the Torrance area. Many of you grew up in that area and many of you still either live,shop or work in the area. This message is mainly for the women-folk, but the men can also use it and maybe pass it on to wives, girlfriends, kids, etc. It's vital that you are constantly aware of your surroundings. This rapist is described as at male black adult, 23-40, stocky build, short/shaved hair, slight mustache, fair-medium skin,driving a white van or light blue compact car. The suspect is apparently armed with some type of handgun. He drives around and is pretty much an opportunist, taking advantage of women (various ages and backgrounds) who are walking alone. He speaks to the intended victim and attempts to lure her toward his vehicle. Once the victim is close enough, the suspect points the gun, threatens her and makes her get into the car. This suspect has attempted this four times and has been successful twice since July 4th. He raped the two victims he successfully captured.

If you happen to be alone and walking somewhere (anywhere) there are certain things you can do or keep in mind:

-Always try and be aware of what is going on around you. Look around once in a while

-If you have to walk, do so in a group

-If approached, you can just keep on walking. If the suspect persists, make a lot of noise: DO NOT YELL "HELP!" YELL SOMETHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY LIKE "RAPE!" OR "FIRE" this will get people's attention faster than just yelling for help.

-If you happen to be near the suspect's vehicle, try and remain calm. If he points a gun at you, run quickly in the direction of the REAR of the suspect's vehicle. This will force the suspect to aim the gun in an uncomfortable fashion and increase your chances of getting away. Run for some type of cover (something hard like a building, car, etc) as soon as possible.

-If you can, always carry a cell phone. Program in the local PD's phone number because if you call 911 directly you will be routed through the CHP dispatch system and it will be an extended time before they can figure out the proper agency to call. Call the police, take a deep breath and give them the best description of the suspect as you can. Remember, you can call the PD anytime. We get paid either way.

-If, for some reason, you find yourself in the suspect's vehicle (or any jerk's car) remember the saying:"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." In other words, close the gap with the suspect and take advantage of your surroundings. There are many things you can do, such as jerking the steering wheel of the car to make it crash, pulling on the parking brake, slamming the car into park or reverse,screaming/kicking out the window, honking the horn, etc. You can also pull the suspect's hair, punch/kick/choke him, or if all else fails and you can do it: Take one of your hands and place it on the suspect's face as if you were going to carress him. Then take your thumb and push it into his eye until you feel warm and tingly, he begins to seize, or both. I know that seems a bit extreme, but it's either you or him. This is what I teach my wife and kids.

-Do not let the suspect get you to a private place or somewhere that is secluded.

-Bring as much attention to yourself and the possible suspect as possible. This type of creep is an opportunist and will do anything in his power to avoid attention.

I hate to make you worried or seem paranoid, but I would hate to hear that something happened to a friend of mine. If you ever get a chance, take a self defense class or meet up with someone who trains on a regular basis. It's self-protection, as well as a good work out. You can call me if you have any questions. Guys like Derrick, Danny, and Mark have a lot of knowledge on this type of stuff too. Remember, it's you or him.

I will keep you all updated on things that I hear from my colleagues at TPD.

Be safe and take care.

Vince

It has some good hints on taking care of ourselves, and I thought I'd share.

Thanks for sharing MJ.. there were very good points here.. we have something like that going on in Boston right now....in a very secure neighborhood where tourists travel all the time.. Women are quite frightened and so far they have not caught this man...I think I will send this along to my daughters..

Great and very timely advice...thank you! I am passing this one along today!

Thanks Mary Jo. Very helpful advice...especially with the serial killer that's running around down here. :( Thank goodness my DH will be home today...that'll at least allow me to sleep in my own home again.

I hope they find the serial rapist and the serial killer here quickly!!

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

I took a self-defense for women class in college. A police officer who came to our class one day basically said those same things. She also said that when you get the feeling that someone is following you, you shouldn't try to discreetly look out of the corner of your eye to check. Turn around and look the person in the eye. That way the man knows that you're aware of him and that you can identify him. They'll go after the woman who looks like she's the easiest to get, so stay alert and act like you're ready to put up a fight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter