Titanic, the Exhibit....

Mickey's sunshine

<font color=darkgreen>Had a blast at MGM's Super S
Has anyone visited it yet? This is the one on Interantional Drive. I can get discounted tickets from my job and was wondering what everyone thought of the place. Is it worth the time? About how long does it take to get through it all? Thanks!

AGELBUTT.gif

Thumbnail

<font size=4 color=violet>~Christine~</font>
<font size=2 color=violet>Mickeys_sunshine@yahoo.com</font>

Here's a trip report from 8/99:

During each of my Orlando visits, I’ve wanted to visit the Titanic exhibit. I think that it’s due in part to James Cameron’s Titanic movie. I finally had some time, so I thought I might as well.

The exhibit is located in the Mercado (located on the uncluttered end of International Drive). I noticed that a Guinness Book of World Records museum is being built right next door. I hope it’s not a gross-out fest like the TV show.

I arrived there around 8:30 pm. The Titanic exhibit is very easy to find since there are many signs. I got my tickets at the ticketing office. The admission price was $14.95 plus tax (total: $15.85). On the ticket was a name of one of the passengers or crewmember. At the end of the exhibit, I could check to see if that person survived or not. The name I had was Mr. William G. Dashwood. Then I had to walk into the Mercado to the exhibit. The attendant took my ticket and I entered. The first room had an actress who took the group back to a time before the Titanic was built. She points out details about the ship. Then the group was lead into another room where we met one of the ship builders and he explained more about the ship. After that, we were left on our own.

The first room was a loading dock with a platform to enter Titanic. All around the room were displays explaining a little more about the ship. I heard a voice calling for passengers to board. After entering the ship, I went into a large room that showed off the grandeur of first-class accommodations. There were displays of first-class plates, furniture, and other objects. A roped-off area showed what a first-class room looked like. I suppose this is what a room would look like at a high-end Disney resort. There was a screen that was a CGI walk-through of parts of the ship.

The next room was another first-class area, although I didn’t know which part of the ship it was. There were several wicker chairs and mirrored windows. Behind the window you could hear first-class people talking. There were several more displays of first-class items. I turned the corner and there was a recreation of the grand staircase. Overhead you can hear the instrumental for “My Heart Will Go On” and I heard a voice of a Titanic survivor. I had a hard time hearing her voice though. The next room was a hallway where you saw a gated area. This gated area lead to the third-class area.

The next room took me into the storage area of the ship. I saw crates, bags of mail, and a car. Then I went though a door and this room was about the actual collision of the ship to the iceberg. I learned a bit about what happened and the SOS transmission. There was a mock-up of the steering wheel and the telegraph. A big piece of ice was on the wall. This represented the iceberg. I put my hand into the handprint area and I thought my hand would go numb. It was very cold! Screens overhead showed a CGI recreation of the Titanic hitting the iceberg.

A door lead to the next room and this room was the most moving to me. It was the deck of the ship. I saw a big starfield and you could see the water right over the edge. Titanic was sinking at this point. I could hear in the background people rushing to the lifeboats. You could also hear the string quartet playing. The room was also quite chilly, much like a night on the North Sea. I felt like I was right there, sinking along with the Titanic.

I exited through the doors and the room showed a CGI recreation of the ship sinking. The compartments filled up on the bottom and the ship sank, broke apart, and finally went into the sea. It reminded me of the part in the Titanic movie where the explorer explained to Rose how Titanic sank. I turned the corner and there were a few more artifacts. One wall listed all the passengers and crew on Titanic. I took out my ticket stub and checked to see if Mr. Dashwood survived or not. He was a crewmember and was lost at sea. I sighed and felt a bit sad.

I then turned the corner and this was a dark room with small glass displays. Each display had a personal item that was recovered from the Titanic, like a mirror, bowl, and a necklace. Light shone from the bottom of each display. This gave the room a “graveyard” type of look. The next room showed a few letters and other tidbits about the Titanic sinking. The final room was a display about every film made about the Titanic. Did you know that there was a Nazi propaganda film about the Titanic? It showed the ineptitude of the British Navy. I thought that film would be an interesting one to see. This room also had some costumes from the Titanic musical.

The next door was the exit and it lead to the gift shop. You can buy mugs, t-shirts, books, and all other things with the Titanic name on it or books and videos about the Titanic. I did not see a video for the Nazi propaganda film though.

I would call this exhibit a “living history” exhibit. It is a museum exhibit, but with the recreations, it felt like a dark ride without the cars. You moved yourself along with your feet. I would have liked to have seen more actors. One actress was in one of the rooms, but she left before I could talk to her. Near the exit, I saw two actors walking out to their respective rooms. It took me about an hour to get through it and I lingered over most of the items. It’s an interesting exhibit and worth a visit if you have an hour or two to spare.

guy.gif

Barry Hom
The moderator formerly known as Barry aka usagi
Moderator, Universal and Sea World Boards

"If you were me, you'd be good looking."

My family and I visited the Titanic exhibit on International Drive last summer in August of 2000. We enjoyed it quite a bit and it was very intriguing although somewhat whimsical in nature. The audience is led on a walking tour by several guides that are dressed in costumes appropriate to the time period of the ships' history; they also speak in accent as well.

When you purchase your tickets at the museum desk there is a name of one the Titanic's passengers printed on each individual ticket stub. During the tour, the guests pass through several rooms displaying numerous artifacts (dishes, letters, furniture, etc.) that detail and outline the ship's makeup. Also, during the tour's progression the guides explain and tell different stories about how these items were used by Titanic's passengers.

The things that really stick out are the replica of the ship's mirrored dining room and the decorated grand wood staircase with the distinct big crystal chandelier in the middle that was very similar to the one that was showcased in the popular "Titanic" movie.

Toward the tour's conclusion, the audience is led back to a room which has been converted to look like the ship's deck where the lights are turned down and the the ceiling is made into a dark blue sky with twinkling stars. The temperature is turned down really low to capture the same cold temp. outside as it was at the point the Titanic started to experience trouble (when all the passengers started to congregate on deck).

The guide then gives the guests a running commentary of the different individual events that were taking place as the ship was going down. At the end, everyone is allowed to touch a large icy structure that resembles an iceberg which gives a vivid idea of how freezing cold it was on that particular night.

Also, there is a large board with all of the Titanic boarded passengers listed along with their known state of survival. Guests can then glance at their ticket stub to find out if the person listed on there survived the journey or not.

The tour lasted for rougly an hour and a half (maybe a little shorter actually) and I learned little facts about the ship's history that I was not aware of previously just from reading books or on t.v. programs.

So, I would say if you are really interested in the Titanic, this would be something that you would enjoy.

Just wanted to remind you to take a camera or camcorder. We were there in January 2001 and they said you can now take pictures of everything. They also tell you to go back and wander around the exhibit again after the tour to get the photos you missed. We took several rolls of film of the Titanic exhibit alone. If you have a boy in your group around the age of 10, warn him that when they divide the women and children up in one room for the life boats, he will be left behind with the men. I didn't have any idea, and my son was shocked. It's kind of funny to listen to how a kid thinks. After we were told that the lifejackets that were supposed to help save you, actually killed many people that jumped in, my 9yo son spent almost an hour trying to get someone to answer his question to his satisfaction. His question was, "If a person would dive in head first, would the lifevest still kill them?" After about the third person he finally recieved an answer he liked but has brought the subject up many times since. You will have a great time here. My kids thought we would be going back here on our next trip!

I think Barry's review is very good. If you are a big Titanic fan then Titanic Exhibit is worthwhile. I paid the $15 (or there abouts), and ,not being a fan, I didn't think it was worth it. I mean I am sure it takes a lot of money to pay all the actors. But the performances I saw were at best inadequate. The accents that the actors attempted were poor and the dialogue bland. The first hostess had said, "We don't have scripts. Each actor has developed his own script so the experience is different every time." How many actors do you know that have enough creativity to "develop thier own scripts"? In short, the actors ruined it for me. I would have enjoyed an on-your-own walk-through much more. Even then it wouldn't have been worth $15. It was an $8 attraction at tops.

I don't doubt your experience, but take exception to your characterization of actors. You say "How many actors do you know that have enough creativity to "develop thier own scripts"? I say, "How many actors do you know?" Most of the actors I've known have been able to improv. I don't know of a single acting school that doesn't teach it in greater or less degrees. Further, an actor who can't improv at all is going to be in serious trouble when someone on stage blows a line. I've even worked with people who could improv in rhyming couplets when performing Shakespeare. How's that for creative.

I'd really love to see this exhibit, but my kids are too little. Maybe next time. (It does appear to be a permanent structure, doesn't it?)

sorry Fleur, didn't mean to offend you. I read my comment and realize it did come out a little harsh. My point was simply that writers traditionally do a better job scripting than actors. Most productions have other artistic managers ---not to mention directors. To me, the Titanic Exhibit lacks continuity and direction. The exhibit doesn't know whether it wants to be a museum or a piece of historical fiction. ---And I have known many actors. It has been my observation that many actors (not all) when left to their own devices fall into the trap of entertaining themselves instead of the audience.

Yes, the Titanic does seem to be a permanent structure and here to stay. So, whenever you are back into town, I think there wil be ample opportunity for you and family members to go down and check it out. When we were there, it was busy while everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and having a good time.

I was very impressed with the unique format in which the actors were presented...and the whole nine yards. You could really tell that there was a lot of hard work, talent, and creativity that went into the whole project. I found it to be a refreshingly 'different' vacation alternative and was a day's welcome break from the massive fast-paced crowds of all the theme parks.

I only wish that we were allowed to take camera pictures inside the exhibit at the time like the above poster mentioned but was told by deskstaff that it was not permitted when we went in August of 2000. I guess at that point last year during our visit the attraction was so new and in the beginning stages of operation that more rules were in place.

I plan on visiting again the next time I am in Orlando and hope you enjoy your day there too.

I found out that this attraction has a website which is www.TitanicShipofDreams.com if you are interested in reading more about it and need specific info.

I don't know if anyone would be interested in this website or not, but http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/index.html has the most extensive resources available from any site I've ever encountered. (I've researched Titanic extensively)
Here you can find the passenger list as well as pictures of so many of those passengers. If there is a picture available, this is the site to find it. I just thought it might be interesting to anyone who has visited the Titanic exhibit to put a face to their ticket if it's available.

I haven't visited the exhibit (yet!) but still want to check out the website. Thanks for sharing it!

I would gladly post some of the pictures if I knew an easy way to do it. When my son showed the pictures at school, some of the kids that went to the moving exhibit were upset because they were not allowed pictures either. When the man told us it was now ok to take as many pictures as we wanted, I wondered if it was a new policy by the way he said it. anyway, I'm so glad we took pictures and so glad we rented a car to go to the exhibit. It was well worth our money and very educational. Something the kids could do a report on if they were taken out of school for a WDW vacation. The only bad part was that every one of the people on our ticket had died. This is something we went to after the parks closed (which is early in January).

Thank you Barry and Deena for the trip reports!

It does sound interestng so when I go I will defiately have to check it out.

Thank you, thank you to all that replied!

AGELBUTT.gif

Thumbnail

<font size=4 color=violet>~Christine~</font>
<font size=2 color=violet>Mickeys_sunshine@yahoo.com</font>

I've read everyone's raving reviews and I was already anticipating this. Now I know that it will be one of our highlights to DIS CON 2001.

Just to add, the Exhibit has actually developed quite a bit since it first opened three years ago and I have been three times in all. Now, I think the actors and actresses have really honed their part in all of it to a great degree and add a lot to the experience. It IS very different to anything else in the area, but Barry's observation of it being like a dark ride without the cars is pretty good. It tells a tragic story very well, although whether this is actually 'entertainment' is another argument!

My MIL visited the Titanic exhibit last year. She is a teacher, and absolutely loved it.

From the gift shop, she brought back a cookbook for me Last Dinner on the Titanic.
It describes the restaurant, dining saloons and reception rooms on the Titanic. It also lists the menus and the recipes of the meals served in the first-, second-, and third-class dining saloons. There is even a section on how to host your "Last Dinner" Titanic dinner party.
I've never made any of the recipes, but it does make for a fascinating read!

Krissalee :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter