TIW

Brook1099

DIS Veteran
We recently had to sell our DVC points. Our card does not expire til 12of 2021.
Was wondering if we could still purchase tables in wonderland for 175$ with that card for an upcoming trip?

Do you mean your DVC card? I wasn’t aware that they have an expiration date.

Don't know the true answer and I guess it just depends on whether the computer checks whether you are a real member when you try to use the card to purchase TIW at WDW (or use any discounts such as the merchandise discount). TIW cards (and discounts at WDW) are available only to DVC members, i.e. to get them you must be a member, not just someone still holding a DVC member card. By the terms of the POS, when you sell and transfer all of your membership interests to another, you are automatically no longer a DVC member, despite that you may still have the blue card. Just be aware that the attempt to intentionally use the member card to obtain discounts to which you are not entitled could actually be considered a crime.

And as to the expiration date, the DVC cards issued for many years did not have an obvious one, but if you actually looked on the back of the card, you would often find a "valid through" date, but then several years ago, DVC changed that and issued already-existing members a new, replacement card that provides an expiration date of 12/2021 on the front of the card, at which time new ones will be issued to existing members. I assume it likely that DVC provides expiration dates because actual membership is not always checked when the card is used at WDW to obtain discounts, and it wants to provide at least some end date to prevent previous members from continuing to use card to obtain discounts.

Last edited:
I thought it was $150 for DVC/AP...has that changed?

A bit off topic, but is the start date of TIW the day you order it or from the day of first use? I have three trips planned in a 12 month period and want to make sure my TIW will cover them all. But I'd like to buy as soon as I can in case they decide to increase the price.

It is currently when you buy it because you cannot buy it as a DVC member except at WDW. DVC members used to be able to buy it in advance and it had a date of issuance start date even though you may not be immediately going to WDW. The price is is still $150 for a DVC member or annual pass holder. It is $175 for a Florida resident).

If you buy it the day you arrive for your first trip. It will then be good for at least 13 months-- the expiration date is always the last day of the month after the month of purchase, e.g., buy it on any day in August 2019 and it will be good until September 30, 2020, i.e., if you buy on Aug 1, it is valid for 14 months, buy on Aug 31 and it is valid for 13 months.

Last edited:

We recently had to sell our DVC points. Our card does not expire til 12of 2021.
Was wondering if we could still purchase tables in wonderland for 175$ with that card for an upcoming trip?

Are you talking about using a DVC membership card to obtain the discount? Or just using your TIW card to renew ?

The problem I have with TIW is the guaranteed 18% gratuity. So you really are not saving a whole heck of a lot. My standard tip has always been 15%, but if service is not up to par I will TIP less. Buffets are almost always tipped less than 15%. Tried TIW once that covered 2 trips, and when I totalled the amount spent on food compared to prior trips (or for that matter when I took trip after it expired) found I had spent considerably more with TIW. However with the current price increase on the DP, not sure what the next step is---my wife does not like cooking at home so cooking on vacation is not an option-LOL.

The problem I have with TIW is the guaranteed 18% gratuity. So you really are not saving a whole heck of a lot. My standard tip has always been 15%, but if service is not up to par I will TIP less. Buffets are almost always tipped less than 15%. Tried TIW once that covered 2 trips, and when I totalled the amount spent on food compared to prior trips (or for that matter when I took trip after it expired) found I had spent considerably more with TIW. However with the current price increase on the DP, not sure what the next step is---my wife does not like cooking at home so cooking on vacation is not an option-LOL.
So you were saving 20% with TIW but the tip negates 18%. So you are saving 2%. But somehow you spent more than not saving any or were you using other discounts and then paying 15% tip. My standard tip is 20+% and poor service gets 15%. So we save a bunch with TIW.

So you were saving 20% with TIW but the tip negates 18%. So you are saving 2%. But somehow you spent more than not saving any or were you using other discounts and then paying 15% tip. My standard tip is 20+% and poor service gets 15%. So we save a bunch with TIW.
We are huge TIW people. Like you, we are 20%+ tippers. We also drink and use valet parking. We save a boatload.

No one tips 15% anymore. I will only tip less than 18% if service was very bad. Which has only happened on rare occasions for me at WDW. Stuff happens and if a waiter does their best, they get at least 20%.

I travel for work a lot and if I go out to dinner, I’ll usually tip 22-25% since they are only getting one service from me.

Short tipping at a buffet has been long debated on these boards. A buffet still requires a lot of work behind the scenes and tips are generally pooled between wait staff and the people replenishing the buffet and carving your meat.

I would assume TIW chose an 18% gratuity because it is an industry standard.

If you don’t think a modest 18% tip before tax is warranted, you can ask for a manager to remove the tip.
That said, even if you give only 15% you are still saving about 17% on your dinner.
I realize some restaurants have a DVC discount of 10%, but that does not include the booze.
It really can be a money saver depending on your dinning habits and how often you eat at certain restaurants.
If you don’t drink, don’t do many signatures, don’t visit often, don’t valet.... it may be questionable.

Seems many believe 15% is out of step with today, to each is own. I have 2 DD who both put themselves thru college as waitresses and I appreciate how hard they work. Yes, I use other Disney discounts. The one thing is, not a consumer of alcoholic beverages. When you take that into consideration, maybe it becomes more clear why TIW just is not a cost savings to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!