To a galaxy far far away: March-April-May...no wait...Nov 2020 PTR

I really don't like corn dogs, but oh my LORD, the corn dogs at the Little Red Wagon are PHENOMENAL! They are SO GOOD! I don't even need mustard on mine (DH thinks I'm crazy...he always says, "What?! No mustard?")...it's good without anything on it!
I'm the same way! I've never liked corn dogs, but since they got such rave reviews, I decided to try one and life hasn't been the same since:cool1:

I found a kick butt Baby Yoda t-shirt that I just bought and am going to wear to Disneyland on our trip! I'll post a pic when it arrives. It's really awesome, though...designed by a Hopi Native American artist in Arizona, so it's this cool crossover design with Star Wars and Hopi images in it.

Well, it's been REALLY interesting reading the ROTR thread on the Disneyland board. Yesterday and today, all of the boarding groups for the day were gone in 3 minutes or less! WOW! I'm hoping that it calms down a bit between now and early March when we go.

So it's been 3 days now that ROTR has been open at Disneyland and already people are starting to panic a little bit. I'm pretty sure that when we go to DL in March, ROTR will still be doing boarding groups. Since we'll be driving in from about an hour away (or 90 min away when we're there on that Tuesday), I think that with a ROTR boarding group situation, we need to be at the Toy Story parking lot by 7:00 am.

On Sunday 3/8, this will mean we'll need to be on the road by 6:00 am.
On Tues 3/10, it will mean probably getting on the road by 5:30 am.

There's 6 of us and we all have phones, but Friend 2 is blind so due to the time crunch of needing to get into the DL app ASAP right at 8:00 am, I think we'll have to consider his phone out of the running. That will leave 5 of us: me, DH, ODD, YDD, & Friend 1. From what I've read on the DL ROTR mega-thread so far, I think that our general plan will be something like this:

• get to Toy Story lot by 7.
  • go through security & get in line in the Esplanade.
  • make sure all 5 of us have the Disneyland app installed & updated on our phones w/a login ID already set up in it. DH & I have separate login IDs. The kids will login with our IDs.
  • after we've had our tickets scanned at the main gate, link our 6 tickets together on our phones before 8:00 am.
  • find a spot with good cell phone service & basically camp out to wait. I'm not sure where to go...stay by the Main Street train station? Or head to Tomorrowland? or Fantasyland? Or New Orleans Square? or Critter Country? Or Galaxy's Edge?
  • Before 8:00 am, turn off wifi on everybody's phones. Make sure that everybody's phones for the DL app are set to have it use cellular data service. Hard close out of all other apps except for the DL app.
  • Just before 8:00 am, everybody opens the DL app but stay on the home screen (the one that shows up right after you open the app). Don't click on the "Find Out More" button for ROTR yet.
  • Somebody uses the clock on their phone to keep track of the time.
  • Right at 8:00 am, click on the "Find Out More" button and select all 6 of us and hopefully get a boarding group.

Today's trip prep homework included me downloading the Disneyland app on my kids' cell phones. :-) For our day off in between our park days, I think we're going to visit some friends who live in the area. They live about an hour to 90 min drive from where we'll be staying in Fontana. They're a retired couple and have difficulty driving longer distances now, so we'll probably meet them for lunch in their neck of the woods & then hit the road to be back in Fontana before rush hour begins. We don't get to see them that often and it's hard sometimes coordinating things with several people who we know in the southern CA area. There isn't enough time to get together with everyone!

The goal for Tuesday will be to get to bed early, have the kids shower Tues evening, put their clothes out for the next day, cook the bacon the night before (so we can heat it up quickly in the microwave super early the next morning) and be on the road by 5:30 am! SO EARLY!

The debate between me and my family: :rotfl:
too early.jpg

Hi! We are planning to be there at the same time! (The Monday and Tuesday) I know crowds will be a little extra with a lot of AZ also on Spring Break, but since I'm working part time (with a microschool) this year, it's easiest for me to plan any kind of weekday trip during a school day! It would be so interesting to think about what experiencing Disneyland while being blind would be like! I love that he still loves it, and how fun for your DH to get to narrate the magic for him! We are also going this weekend, so we get to experience the ROTR craziness firsthand. :P Really hoping, like you, that it's calmed down a bit by March!

Hi! We are planning to be there at the same time! (The Monday and Tuesday) I know crowds will be a little extra with a lot of AZ also on Spring Break, but since I'm working part time (with a microschool) this year, it's easiest for me to plan any kind of weekday trip during a school day! It would be so interesting to think about what experiencing Disneyland while being blind would be like! I love that he still loves it, and how fun for your DH to get to narrate the magic for him! We are also going this weekend, so we get to experience the ROTR craziness firsthand. :P Really hoping, like you, that it's calmed down a bit by March!

:) What's funny/weird/cool is that Friend 2 can totally tell what the vibe of a place is just by listening and being there. He loves all of the thrill rides. Loves Pirates of the Caribbean. Probably 1 of his favorite attractions is Autopia because, as he puts it, "That's the only place I'm allowed to drive a car!" :rotfl2: He usually laughs hysterically after he says that. It's really funny. He has this awesome sense of humor. Friend 1, his wife, is a riot, too. She makes up words for stuff. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train got called Slow Choo Choo and BTMRR she renamed as Fast Choo Choo. RSR she calls "the car ride thingy." :rotfl: After a couple of hours with her, we all just somehow start to figure out what she's referring to when she calls something a "thingy." LOL. Other times, we have no clue and I say to her, "I have no idea what you're talking about." Then Friend 2 says, "See? I'm not the only one!" Haha!

I really want to get all of us on the Davey Crockett Explorer Canoes if they're running on that Sunday afternoon. Mostly because our family really loved it last time and, more importantly, I know that Friend 2 would really dig being able to experience Rivers of America in a totally different way. If we can't do that, I'm hoping at least to get us all on the Columbia Sailing Ship. It's been at least 10 years since I've been on that!

:) What's funny/weird/cool is that Friend 2 can totally tell what the vibe of a place is just by listening and being there. He loves all of the thrill rides. Loves Pirates of the Caribbean. Probably 1 of his favorite attractions is Autopia because, as he puts it, "That's the only place I'm allowed to drive a car!" :rotfl2: He usually laughs hysterically after he says that. It's really funny. He has this awesome sense of humor. Friend 1, his wife, is a riot, too. She makes up words for stuff. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train got called Slow Choo Choo and BTMRR she renamed as Fast Choo Choo. RSR she calls "the car ride thingy." :rotfl: After a couple of hours with her, we all just somehow start to figure out what she's referring to when she calls something a "thingy." LOL. Other times, we have no clue and I say to her, "I have no idea what you're talking about." Then Friend 2 says, "See? I'm not the only one!" Haha!

I really want to get all of us on the Davey Crockett Explorer Canoes if they're running on that Sunday afternoon. Mostly because our family really loved it last time and, more importantly, I know that Friend 2 would really dig being able to experience Rivers of America in a totally different way. If we can't do that, I'm hoping at least to get us all on the Columbia Sailing Ship. It's been at least 10 years since I've been on that!

That would be really awesome! I finally rode the Canoes for the first time in November, and I'm hoping they'll have the Columbia running this weekend since the Mark Twain will be down. I've never even walked onto the Columbia! We usually go non-peak days, historically, which is why I've missed out of some of this stuff. I hope you guys have the best trip! Are you doing matching shirts or anything obvious so I can keep an eye out for you? Let me know, if so! :)

I read on the WDW side of Disboards that they've now opened up FP+ for the Millennium Falcon ride on 2/19, so people can make FP+ reservations now for MFSR at HS. I wonder when they'll open up FP for it at DL. Maybe before our trip? The non-FP wait right now for it isn't bad. I look at wait times on the DL app on my phone periodically and it usually hovers around 45-60 minutes. It'll be nice to have FP available for it. I think that eventually once they make FP available for ROTR, THOSE FPs will go like hotcakes just like the RSR FPs do!

hi there! I'm a little late to the party but I'm here!! I love your thinking...I feel like I'm the same way. I'm driving my DH, my mom, and my friend nuts with all of my plans and changes in plans. But I really do love being here...I feel like people here get it! We want to make the most of our trip and not waste valuable time! We're not going until October but love hearing about your plans!

We're not big Star Wars fans but I think my sons may enjoy making a lightsaber or a droid. LMK how that goes! Looking forward to hearing more!

Well, so far, it looks like DL has not yet increased their ticket prices. We haven't purchased our park tickets yet. Maybe later this week.

I've been continuing to follow the huge ROTR thread. So far for this weekend (1/25-1/26), it sounds like the crowds before rope drop have been bigger compared to the week days. And apparently THIS morning (Sunday), they didn't open the gates until 7:30-ish (for 8 am opening). This means that you're at the back of one of the lines (i.e., where the line is wrapping around), you might not actually get INTO DL park before 8:00 am!

Hm...so I might need to rethink when we leave Fontana on Sunday morning (3/8). Originally, my plan was this:

- 6:30 am - leave Fontana
- 7:30 am - arrive at Toy Story lot, park car
- 7:45 am - get in line at DL main gate

But THAT is NOT going to work. So then earlier this week, I thought that this might work instead:

- 6:00 am - leave Fontana
- 6:55 am - arrive at Toy Story lot (according to Google Maps)
- ~ 7:15 am - get in line at DL main gate

Maybe we should leave earlier? If we leave at 5:30, we'll get to the Toy Story lot by 6:30 am. LOL. My family is not going to be happy with getting up so early. Haha!

AND...in addition to all that, for Tuesday 3/10, we'll have rush hour traffic to contend with. So if we want to make it to the parking lot by 7 am, we'll have to leave our friends' house at 5 am! :crazy2:

I'm continuing my obsessive thread watch all about ROTR on the Disneyland board. :rotfl2: This past weekend, I:
  • validated that my phone and the kids' 2 phones all have the most up to date version of the Disneyland app installed (5.8.1, not just 5.8). V5.8.1 was released about a week ago for iPhones. I need to have DH install it on his phone, too.
  • downloaded an app to my phone called Atomic Clock. The standard iPhone clock app only displays HH:MM, not seconds as well.
  • mentally came up with a check list of stuff I should do the night before in order to minimize the amount of time everybody will need in the morning to get ready.
So that "do the night before" list right now sort of includes:
  1. kids & DH shower the night before. I have curly hair, so I always have to shower 1st thing in the a.m.
  2. cook bacon night before so all I have to do is just quickly nuke it to warm it up in the microwave.
  3. Set out DH's travel coffee mug/tumbler thingy that I'll put his iced coffee in.
  4. Pre-pack a lunch box cooler with chocolate milks and orange juices for my kids.
  5. Pre-pack my purse/park bag.
  6. Make sure YDD & ODD have pre-packed their park bags & set them by the door.
  7. Have kids lay out their clothes for the following a.m.
  8. Fill water bottles & put in everybody's park bag for the following morning.
  9. Set out MY clothes for the following a.m.
  10. Charge everybody's phone AND batteries (1 per person).

When I'm planning a Disney trip, at least on past Disney trips, I figure out ahead of time what we're actually bringing w/us into the parks. Real estate in my purse/park bag is at a premium and I don't want to have to bring the kitchen sink if I don't need to. When the kids were younger, I'd need space in the bag for 1 change of clothes per kid (well, at least underwear & pants/shorts depending on the weather). And DH wouldn't want to bring a bag, so I'd end up bringing ponchos for all 4 of us in case we all rode Splash Mtn.

So here's what's going into my park bag:
  • my poncho - a left over from our June 2018 Orlando trip
  • extra pin to trade
  • travel sized sunscreen
  • wallet - yep, I use a dude's wallet because it's compact and I can fit more of other stuff in my purse. I am the keeper of the park tickets, so these get stored in my wallet.
  • a fan I got 2 yr ago from Cost Plus Imports
  • 4 ziplock bags - 1 per person to store a phone in when we go on a water ride
  • couple of pens
  • body glide - for YDD's feet
  • car keys - since we'll be driving in!
  • travel sized tin of this amazing salve that's good for cuts & scrapes
  • a scarf/sarong - this serves multiple purposes. Used to keep me warm when it gets chilly in the evening. Does double duty to act as a space saver/blanket to sit on for parades. Plus, it rolls up very compactly and it's super lightweight. I bought this one in Hawaii 10 years ago. It was about $8-$9 at an ABC Store.
  • Not pictured: cell phone cord & charging battery, couple of granola bars, water bottle

The kids will each carry a park bag and in that bag (small backpack), they'll have:
  • wallet
  • cell phone
  • cell phone charging cord & battery
  • scarf or gloves - we're from Arizona, so when the temps dip below 75 we act like we're in Canada.
  • jacket - when they're not wearing it
  • souvenirs that they buy which can fit in a backpack
  • water bottle
  • couple of snacks
Here's my purse will all of the stuff from the pic above in it:

For comparison, here's what it looks like when it's hanging on something. You can tell that it's hardly full, so there's plenty of room for other stuff. When I use the outside pockets to store a big water bottle (like a Hydroflask sort of thing), the water bottle tends to fall out. So I'll only use the outside pockets if it's a disposable water bottle that I don't mind losing.

Last but not least, here's my current pin collection! I'm hoping to add 1 or 2 pins to it for this trip. But I'm not going to wear this lanyard in the parks. It's heavy with all of the pins on it and I don't want to lose any of them. I got the Happy Camper pin at Fort Wilderness when we went to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue dinner show (that was awesome!). The Kilimanjaro Safaris pin I got at Animal Kingdom. The "We Wants the Redhead" I got about a year before they changed POTC...I prefer the auctioning off the women scene. YDD made me get the Splash Mtn pin because every time we go on it, I scream like a little girl and it makes her laugh. :rotfl:

I got the Merida pin on our 1st family trip to DL when the kids were 4 and 6 (they're 11 and 13 now!). I got all of us Jedi Training Academy pins the following year (kids were 5 and 7) when they did the Jedi Training Academy...man, that was an awesome trip! DH got me the monorail pin on another trip because we all love the monorail so much at Disneyland. The BTMRR pin was also YDD's idea. The train part moves back and forth. My kids really love BTMRR! And the It's A Small World pin I got on one trip to remember a friend who had just passed away...IASW was one of her favorite attractions. The clock face on this pin wiggles back and forth just like it does on the outside of the attraction building.

Yep! And everybody else in my family, too! :rotfl2:
pilot.jpg

And I thought this was fitting, too, for what will probably be the start of a tired and grumpy morning on 3/8! HAHAHA!

wake up.jpg

And then later in the morning hopefully it will turn into this...
boarding group.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!