To concierge or not to concierge

But you do sail on Disney and they do have things you don't have access to. There is a private lounge, private sundeck, private hot tub. Even though they offer a lot of things to some guests and not all, when I sailed in a normal cabin I never felt like I was missing out not being able to go into those places.
Those are much more minor than a swimming pool and a restaurant. The restaurants & pools are essential parts of the cruise experience.

Last edited:
Those are much more minor than a swimming pool and a restaurant. The restaurants & pools are essential parts of the cruise experience.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I don't find those make or break for a cruise experience especially when there are still pools and restaurants available to all. I hope if Disney does add a private pool and restaurant on the new ships you still sail them one day, I'm sure they are going to be beautiful ships and with more ships they'll go more places.

Added to the cost of the concierge room is the added cost of the cabana, which is also going up in price. You also have more people to tip. I would only want concierge for the added space that a one-bedroom provides, not the services of a concierge.

Agree with both. As I've said before and will say again, concierge is worth it to me (and more importantly DH, who pays the bills) because we are both huge introverts and while we enjoy sailing we also enjoy the slightly less frentic aspect of Deck 12. DH works very hard, physically and mentally in a service industry and by sailing concierge he can truly relax. Is the price markup worth it? Definitely! We don't pay for every cruise in CL but during busy times (which is when we tend to sail) it is worth every penny to see him comfortable. If we sail less often then that's the trade off--a relaxing vacation v. one perhaps not so much. Regarding new ships and private pool/restaurant...for the same reasons I'd love that.

While we have had a cabana for our honeymoon and didn't find the value then for our cruise over NYE in 2019 for my parents' Golden Anniversary, I'll likely be up emailing shoreside concierge for a family cabana to make life easier (for me and my mother) since my brother and father aren't beach people but niece, SIL, mother and I are. Family harmony? Worth it at any price, in my book!

Wait, wait, wait. Have they now eliminated the ability of all guests to go to Deck 12?????

It is not worth it if you try to compare apples to apples, but the same is probably true for a Rolls Royce. We cruise concierge, and we love it. We will likely not ever cruise any other way, but that is a decision we make based on the intangibles. To that end, I drive an older car at home below what I can afford, because that doesn't matter to me as much as the time relaxing on the ship. You can buy popcorn for the shows, you can pay for all your drinks, and you can check daily for cabana availability on CC, or you can book concierge (where a cabana or even CC is not guaranteed). You'll save money paying out of pocket for the other stuff, but if you can afford the service it's lovely. The rumor is that new ships are going to be rather different with increased concierge cabins and amenities. Disney knows there are several of us fools who will gladly part with our money for the extra pampering and relaxation on vacation. At home, I'm the one doing the pampering and bottom kissing, so I don't mind spending my money on that on vacation. My vacations are limited, and that's where I choose to spend my money. If you do it, you'll enjoy it. But if you total the numbers and compare you'll decide against it. Unless you can cruise with Walt's private captain, that is worth something ;)

Because opportunity cost. I'd enjoy sailing concierge again on our next cruise, but I have other things I want to spend the money on in 2020 - we're doing a ton of stuff vacation-wise in 2019 already. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you want to spend it all... I still prefer a "good deal". :thumbsup2

Bingo! I guess I don't need the extra hand-holding and frankly I'd feel uncomfortable cutting the lines all the time. We are happy with the DCL verandah cabins we've had. We also cruise to travel, not to enjoy the ship, and on our last cruise which was 10 nights we only had 3 sea days. We were off the ship those other days, and no way was I going to spend another $6-$10K for a lounge we would rarely use and services we just didn't need. I think it's better that I don't know what I'm missing since I'm happy with what we have experienced. Also we don't drink and we most definitely did not need more food on this trip, so again I'm not seeing the value there.

Wait, wait, wait. Have they now eliminated the ability of all guests to go to Deck 12?????

LOL! No, I meant the area of Deck 12 with the cabins and the Lounge. It's much quieter there (normally) than other hallways due to size (merely aft) and just less foot traffic overall.

It is not worth it if you try to compare apples to apples, but the same is probably true for a Rolls Royce. We cruise concierge, and we love it. We will likely not ever cruise any other way, but that is a decision we make based on the intangibles. To that end, I drive an older car at home below what I can afford, because that doesn't matter to me as much as the time relaxing on the ship. You can buy popcorn for the shows, you can pay for all your drinks, and you can check daily for cabana availability on CC, or you can book concierge (where a cabana or even CC is not guaranteed). You'll save money paying out of pocket for the other stuff, but if you can afford the service it's lovely. The rumor is that new ships are going to be rather different with increased concierge cabins and amenities. Disney knows there are several of us fools who will gladly part with our money for the extra pampering and relaxation on vacation. At home, I'm the one doing the pampering and bottom kissing, so I don't mind spending my money on that on vacation. My vacations are limited, and that's where I choose to spend my money. If you do it, you'll enjoy it. But if you total the numbers and compare you'll decide against it. Unless you can cruise with Walt's private captain, that is worth something ;)

This is the first post justifying concierge that has actually made sense to me because instead of trying to say the upcharge is "worth it" because of specific benefits or services you get, it acknowledges that it would never make sense if you crunching the numbers, but would make sense if it really just made you happy. And touche for getting me where I can't argue because I am one of those fools that paid for a new overpriced car because I just needed the piece of mind of knowing it is totally accident-free, in perfect condition, and built to last, even though that is so not at all a good value if I were really crunching the numbers compared to a comparable used car. So I hear you, and that makes sense.

So well put!

There really is no "right" answer to concierge or not to concierge. It all comes down to preference. White flannel pajamas or silk pajamas? I think the only time NOT to concierge is if it puts you into debt or causes financial strain in other areas in your life.....

First Dream 1 Bedroom Concierge 2015 was FABULOUS. Well worth the $$$$ for the cabin space/comfort but we did not avail ourselves of the services except for having dinner in our "dining room" every night. That was exquisite. Dream 2017 cruise again 1 bedroom was just not the same. The magic was gone for some reason and even the dining-in did not feel the same. Decided that we would not do Concierge again on DCL.

Will be experiencing a Crown Loft(deck 17 for main living/full bath with deck 18 a loft bedroom/full bath) next month on 7 night Oasis. I anticipate no issues arising having our own lounge and also restaurant especially since the cost is almost half DCL. 2019 trying a Yacht Club Class 7 night at the same pricing with separate lounge/restaurant/pool and the additional personal butler service.

Too much happening to cruise a bunch, so when we can manage a cruise I will try to make a concierge up-grade work out.

First Dream 1 Bedroom Concierge 2015 was FABULOUS. Well worth the $$$$ for the cabin space/comfort but we did not avail ourselves of the services except for having dinner in our "dining room" every night. That was exquisite. Dream 2017 cruise again 1 bedroom was just not the same. The magic was gone for some reason and even the dining-in did not feel the same. Decided that we would not do Concierge again on DCL.

Will be experiencing a Crown Loft(deck 17 for main living/full bath with deck 18 a loft bedroom/full bath) next month on 7 night Oasis. I anticipate no issues arising having our own lounge and also restaurant especially since the cost is almost half DCL. 2019 trying a Yacht Club Class 7 night at the same pricing with separate lounge/restaurant/pool and the additional personal butler service.

Too much happening to cruise a bunch, so when we can manage a cruise I will try to make a concierge up-grade work out.
I look forward to trying the Oasis in the higher level rooms once our DD is at the age where she isnt as consumed with princesses and Mickey Mouse. Right now though, the DCL cruises give us the best experience for our family and being in concierge only makes that experience better.

My family and my parents traveled on the Fantasy last April. We were in Concierge. If it were just my immediate family we would not have done Concierge but for my parents it was worth it. For them (and honestly us), the biggest perks were things like getting to board first, not having to deal with guest services, other things like that. Also for us a Cabana was very important since they didn't really want to sit out in the sun and at the time I had a 2 year old who we wanted to be able to take a nap in the cabana. We will be on the Magic in April coming up all of us again and again in Concierge. We had a wonderful experience. The only not great part was we didn't have the best serving team. That was the only negative.

We just got home tonight from the Fantasy and stayed concierge in cabin 12522. My answer of whether or not it is worth it is, it depends!

From a financial perspective is it worth it? No, not strictly speaking.

From an experience perspective, it is totally worth it.

So if you are coming from a place where one needs to get the most bang for the buck, concierge isn't going to make you happy. But if you want a smooth, high-benefit experience, it's very worth it.

These are the things that I enjoyed the most:

-Not having to stand in line and deal with Guest Services for anything
-not having to go grab our photos we ordered on the morning we were disembarking (concierge had them)
-a quiet lounge to drink the dozens of lattes and teas we enjoyed
-a quiet hot tub with champagne, wine and beer nearby
-not having to pack sunscreen, slippers, or a robe.
-the ability to book Palo and Remy just weeks before we sailed (we booked late), as well as character breakfasts
-being able to have someone change our dining reservations and nursery reservations, and just have it done
-not having to go to Future Cruise sales or whatever it's called to book future cruises (concierge handled that)
-endless bottles of still water for me and sparkling water for my husband
-they tracked down a lost toy for us, saving us hassle
-the ability to be walked off the ship at disembarkation - we didn't do this and I regret it now
-our luggage was in a much smaller area and so was easier to find when we got off the ship.
-snacks all day and an ability to grab a quick breakfast and avoid busier places
-better pillows
-the sundeck was relaxing and a really nice place to hang out. If I wanted an ocean view, there are doors leading out to the rest of deck 12 and it's easy to come and go
-the concierge staff was very nice to the kids in the lounge, allowing us to hang out more casually and chat with other guests, as the concierge hosts chatted up the kids

Concierge felt like a hub for us. The ship can be very crowded and busy, and the concierge lounge was quiet, serene, and comfortable. We met some very nice fellow cruisers and it was nice to see them again and again as we passed by.

Everything was just so smooth with concierge assisting us. I lost a room card, for example. It was replaced in about 90 seconds, no hassle. The kids club forgot to send our kids' art work - it was waiting for us an hour later in our stateroom. My husband forgot nice pants - a tailor visited us 20 minutes later and had a pair of pants for my husband to borrow. That kind of stuff. It was lovely.

We just got home tonight from the Fantasy and stayed concierge in cabin 12522. My answer of whether or not it is worth it is, it depends!

From a financial perspective is it worth it? No, not strictly speaking.

From an experience perspective, it is totally worth it.

So if you are coming from a place where one needs to get the most bang for the buck, concierge isn't going to make you happy. But if you want a smooth, high-benefit experience, it's very worth it.

These are the things that I enjoyed the most:

-Not having to stand in line and deal with Guest Services for anything
-not having to go grab our photos we ordered on the morning we were disembarking (concierge had them)
-a quiet lounge to drink the dozens of lattes and teas we enjoyed
-a quiet hot tub with champagne, wine and beer nearby
-not having to pack sunscreen, slippers, or a robe.
-the ability to book Palo and Remy just weeks before we sailed (we booked late), as well as character breakfasts
-being able to have someone change our dining reservations and nursery reservations, and just have it done
-not having to go to Future Cruise sales or whatever it's called to book future cruises (concierge handled that)
-endless bottles of still water for me and sparkling water for my husband
-they tracked down a lost toy for us, saving us hassle
-the ability to be walked off the ship at disembarkation - we didn't do this and I regret it now
-our luggage was in a much smaller area and so was easier to find when we got off the ship.
-snacks all day and an ability to grab a quick breakfast and avoid busier places
-better pillows
-the sundeck was relaxing and a really nice place to hang out. If I wanted an ocean view, there are doors leading out to the rest of deck 12 and it's easy to come and go
-the concierge staff was very nice to the kids in the lounge, allowing us to hang out more casually and chat with other guests, as the concierge hosts chatted up the kids

Concierge felt like a hub for us. The ship can be very crowded and busy, and the concierge lounge was quiet, serene, and comfortable. We met some very nice fellow cruisers and it was nice to see them again and again as we passed by.

Everything was just so smooth with concierge assisting us. I lost a room card, for example. It was replaced in about 90 seconds, no hassle. The kids club forgot to send our kids' art work - it was waiting for us an hour later in our stateroom. My husband forgot nice pants - a tailor visited us 20 minutes later and had a pair of pants for my husband to borrow. That kind of stuff. It was lovely.
who were the hosts? I heard Michelle from the Magic was moved to the Fantasy............but not sure who else is on there.

who were the hosts? I heard Michelle from the Magic was moved to the Fantasy............but not sure who else is on there.

It was Erika, Ashley and another guy - his name is escaping me at the moment.

DH and I were just on the Fantasy 9/08 to 9/15 and the concierge hosts were the amazing Tawanda, Amanda and Michelle. They were wonderful!

I think you will enjoy the Crown Loft suite. We sailed in one on the Harmony during 2017 Spring Break. Concierge service was fantastic especially enjoyed the reserved seating at the shows for suite guests, no reservations necessary. The girls loved the unlimited vroom internet...they could snap story and instagram to their hearts content.

We are sailing on the MSC Seaside over Christmas in their Yacht Club class. We were fortunate to score one of the two Royal suites on board plus a YC inside across the hall for our oldest two girls. The YC experience gets fantastic reviews and the price was quite reasonable especially for a Christmas cruise.

Spring Break 2019 we are back on the Disney Wonder in a midship Cat.T LOL, I guess you can say we like spread our concierge dollars around. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter