To DDP or not to DDP...my calculations for MY family

01Sweetpea

DIS Veteran
My family of 5... Me, DH, 13, 11 & 11 are going to WDW from 11/18 - 11/25... 7 nights during Thanksgiving week staying at the Poly. I have being going back and forth trying to decide if the DDP is for us.

After HOURS spent printing menus, going over them with DH & the kids, and creating a spreadsheet that lists 3 meals for everyone for everyday, this is what I have come up with.

IF we eat at Disney like we normally do:
Breakfast - at the resort - usually food court
Lunch - counter service at a park
snack
dinner - sit down either in a park or resort... ENTREE ONLY and a beverage

It would cost $1,521.31... which included tax & tip.

IF we used the DDP... which would cost us $1330 PLUS add the OOP expenses of $310 for breakfastes & the 11yos to eat off the kid menu some nights... it would cost $1640. So it would cost us $120 MORE... AND we'd have to eat alot of appetizers & desserts that we normally don't eat when we go out.

The reason there is OOP for the kids for some nights is the ADRs I want to make are more than the TSs we have.

ADRs:
Chef Mickey's
Kona - 11yos OOP
Mama Melrose w/fantasmic - 11yos OOP
Coral Reef - 11yos OOP
Le Cellier - 11yos OOP
HDDR
Whispering Canyon - 11yos OOP
1900 Park Fare - for breakfast

Now I know that I could have the kids "share" lunch meals and have some of those credits carry over for breakfast, but I can NEVER count on 2 kids wanting the same thing on the same day. Nor do I want to deal with the hassle of that on vacation.

So, at this point, I think we are going to forgo the DDP and HOPE & PRAY for a really great code!

You're in the no-man's-land between when the Dining Plan is worthwhile for families with young children, and is worthwhile for parties of all adults. You're correct that you're probably better off without the Dining Plan.

Whether or not the DP is a good value is different for every family. You seem to be very organized about your approach in figuring out whether it would save your family money or not. We also don't usually eat appetizers and desert with our meals. Since it's just my DH and I for 5 nights, we had planned to buy the DP anyway and try some new restaurants. Now that it's free, it's even easier to justify...and I won't feel like I have to eat desert.

Hope you get a great rate!

Have you thought about getting an AP for someone, and then getting the DDE card? I have been having the same issues you are having. We are traveling in Oct...2 moms and our 2 dd's, who turn 13 on the trip. My dd is very picky. She could live on mac and cheese, chicken strips and cheeseburgers at WDW, so the $37 per day for the DDP for her isn't a great deal. I sat and figured costs for 2 weeks...using DDP vs DDE. It looks like we'll be using the DDP, if only to make it easier to keep the two family's costs separate! But, since I have the DDE, and will be renewing it at the end of May, I can still save 20% on the stuff that isn't covered by DDP.

Goofy4tink... I never thought of an AP... I figured since we are only going for 7 nights, it's not cost effective. But now I may have to weigh out the options.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Very interesting... As pointed out by bicker, it's got to be the kid factor. If everyone in your party were "eating like adults" and not just "paying like adults", then it seems like the DDP would be a perfect fit (i.e. one CS meal a day for lunch and one TS a day for dinner).

At least you will save a little money by avoiding the DDP and you will have some flexibility if you decide one evening that you just don't want to do a TS meal afterall. You won't feel forced to go just to get the value out of your plan. :thumbsup2

As for purchasing the AP, there are times when WDW issues room discounts for AP holders only. If a discount like this comes up when you plan to visit, it can contribute to the overall benefit of purchasing an AP. Its possible for the AP room discount (assuming no other major discounts are available) to pay for itself when compared to rack rates on the room and the one MYW ticket that it would take the place of.

I did the same thing you did. Chose where we would eat and printed out ALL of the menus. Estimated what my DH and DS's would eat. It would have cost us a couple of hundred extra. The one thing I like about DDE is that most of the food is already paid for. The amount of money you lay out during the vacation is considerable less, but it doesn't offset the extra $200 it would cost. I'm leaving on Sunday and plan to save all of our food receipts so I can get a clearer picture of savings.

Only you can decide if it is a good value for your family and the way YOU choose to eat. With 5 of you, if you choose to order appetizers and desserts 4 meals could easily feed 5 people. however, I totally understand the concept of "no hassles" while on vacation.

You've done a great job of looking and planning. Do consider the AP with DDE card and see if the AP rate will save you $$ on your hotel.

Another consideration--do you have one of those kids who can/will make a meal out of an appetizer? My teen will do this (her choice) when we go out to dinner at home. If she chooses to do this at WDW, it essentially saves a TS.

So many alternatives......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter