To DISers who've brought your kids' friends to WDW - I need your help!

grinningghost

<font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family
Today is the big day. We've asked our DD's friend to join us on our WDW trip in August. We gave her parents a few weeks to think it over, but today we're going to call them and ask for a definite answer. What can I say to make them say yes? We really would love it if she came. She's a very nice girl, and I know her and DD would have a ball together. (They will both be 14). We're taking care of expenses, except souvenier, snack money. So money isn't really an issue. Help me guys! If you've taken a friend - I'd especially like to hear from you.

When DD was 14 I took her and two friends to WDW for a grad from middle school trip. We had a ball! The girls paid their own way and I paid for treats...Cirque, a Kitchen Sink, upgrade to AKL, etc.... It was great!!!

I think the fun of going to WDW speaks for itself so how could the parents say no???? Good luck and have a GREAT trip!!

Melissa

Here's the best part - this girl has never been to WDW - she's never even been to Florida. It would be such an incredible trip for her. I really hope they say yes.:D

....that the Mom and Dad understand how much it would mean to not only your daughter, but also to you and your spouse.

Hmmm....I would give the folks a call and invite them to dinner, or have them come over for a social call....if the parents have never been to Disney, maybe show them a planning video.

I will assume that your daughter is an only child, or has siblings much younger??in either case, I would explain to them the issues surrounding the whole"ride" thing...as in, "We wont ride particular rides, and Daughter has to usually sit with a complete stranger, and not be able to share the experience."

If they end up stating that they want to go to Disney with their child, maybe you can arrange it to have her go with you on this trip, and then have her go with her friends folks and become a sort of 'tour guide'....that may be something that would not only work, but get the girls a chance to go twice!

(See, this is an evil plan....in fact, its very devious...LOL...two trips...what kid would want to go twice in a row??LOL)

I hope that it all works out for you and your daughter......I know that I personally would be hard pressed to not allow my child a trip to Disney(although I would be very jealous)especially if your picking up what seems to be 90% of the tab.

Hi:

I posted on the CB recently because we're taking my kids' (DD15, DS13) friends with us in August. So, while we haven't done it yet, I just wanted to offer the following words of encouragement. When DS invited his friend, it was an easy choice as his friend practically lives here anyway and was always around to hear our discussions about vacation. He pretty much invited himself:p DD, on the other hand, had a much more difficult time choosing which friend to invite as she didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. There are a very close group of 5 or 6 girls that are together constantly. Anyway, she decided to ask one girl she had been friends with since Kindergarten and we spoke about the choice beforehand as I felt there was a good chance she would not be able to go. Well, as it turned out, she wasn't. This girl had never flown before and both she and her parents were a little afraid of her flying for the first time without them. Perfectly understandable and a reason I totally respect and could not "argue" with. She invited friend #2 (whom I thought would come) and although she also had never flown, her parents said yes and she is THRILLED to be coming.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is not to be too disappointed if this friend can't go. Is there an alternate choice? I know if someone had invited my daughter (and I knew them) and was paying most expenses, I would've called and said YES to them before they had a chance to call me.:)

I hope she can go and that it all works out. Keep us posted!

I'm in the same boat as you right now. We have asked DD(11)'s
best friend to come with us to "the world".Her Mom has been thinking about it for 2 MONTHS!!! I wish she would just make up her mind. Even if the answer is no, at least we wouln't be hangin here in limbo.

She says the only reason she is hesitant is the war.:confused:
She's afraid there might be a terrorist attack while were there or something. I totally understand this, and have tried to make her more comfortable. I even found her several articles on the internet about the saftey measures Walt Disney World takes,etc...

DD's friend is such a sweet girl, and we all love her so much.
Her mother is raising her and 2other girls and 2 boys all alone.
They have never been nor will they ever go to WDW in the foreseeable future. We have offered to pay every dime of her expences.(I know her going would not be an option otherwise)
Her Mom has to let her go right?????

I'm 24 and wanted to take my 16 year old cousin last summer to WDW, as she had never been before. It took my Aunt a couple of months to make a decision. My cousin's parents are divorced and I haven't seen my "aunt" in about 14 years, so while I am very close to my cousin, my aunt doesn't really know me that well. To ease her worry about the war I told her that if we went to a red terror alert, were being attacked ANYWHERE on our homeland, or there were very serious threats regarding WDW before we left, we would definately cancel the trip and I would just be out some money. That's how life goes. She seemed to feel better knowing that I was putting our safety before fun! Then I told her I would also have my cousin call her and check in every day. We even set up a time period (between 3 and 5) so she wouldn't have to start worrying unless she hadn't heard from her by 5. I gave my Aunt our hotel phone number and my cell phone number and told her she was free to call anytime, we would call her back as soon as we could. I had her send my cousin down with a medical insurance card "just in case." I think things like that can help put a parent as ease when they are letting "their baby" go on vacation with people they don't know very well.

Lynn :D

We're in the same boat too - lol

We have only one child - boy age 9 - and we're trying to talk bil & and wil into taking their kids - ages 10 - 13 - - none of them have ever been to WDW before - our only glitch is that sil was previously married and my niece - age 12 - well... her father may not let her come - due to - being an ex husband thingy. Eventhough they've been divorced 5 years. Now they don't know if they should let the boys come if my niece can't come.
Cost wise is that Grammy is willing to buy their airfare and park tickets so all they would have to come up with his souvenir and a contribution toward the food.

I wish us all luck in bringing the magic into their lives.

These are all interesting stories. I guess I'm not alone in this. That's good to know. :D I'll let you know what the answer is. I wanted to call tonight, but they're having a family birthday party, so I guess I'll call tomorrow.

I think it would definitely be a good idea to have a second friend choice as a backup. While i have never been in this situation from either side, I will tell you that my own personal policy is that my children do not get on a plane to go anywhere without me. If anything, God forbid, were to happen, I know that I would always regret that I was not with them. On the other hand, I can understand a once in a lifetime trip. But as, you or someone said, they may want to take her the first time with them. It is a hard decision for a parent to make, especially if they don't know you very well. Best to have a second choice! Good Luck!

hi: we've been taking the kids' friends since '93 (all teens at the times of the trips!) it is a great experience for both the parents and the kids. you will get some parents that will worry constantly and have to be called by their son/daughter at least once per day, other parents who couldn't care less, and parents that appreciate what a positive learning experience this is for their child. we did have one set of parents that took a little convincing-but we allowed the boys to do most of that. we just told them about all the potential learning experiences their teen would have. some have requested specifically that we be with their child at all times, and others have just placed their trust in us and the kids to behave responsibly. we have had a few sets of parents ask us to take them instead of the kids on the next trip after they hear about all the things we've done. just talk to the parents and answer any of their concerns. let them establish some of the ground rules for their children while on the trip. above all, don't stress and have fun!

There's nothing you could say to me to get me to say "yes" to this question.

I would not allow my child to travel out of state without family for any reason. Scout trips, church trips, school trips? Sure, she can go -- but I'm going along as a chaperone. With another family? Nope. Don't take it personally, but my child can't go.

I would be concerned about her being away from family (14 is young!). And -- even if the host family was paying -- I'd feel uncomfortable with my child accepting such a large "gift." If I allowed my child to go on this trip, I'd feel obligated to "return the favor" by taking that child on my next family trip -- something I don't want to do. I see vacations as family time, and I don't want another child (no matter how sweet, well behaved, etc.) tagging along.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, so don't be insulted if the parents you've asked say no. One more note: I hope you spoke to the parents and not the child. That could lead to seriously hurt feelings on the child's part.

Just wanted to update you all - my two nephews are joining us on our next trip - I'm so excited to be able to do this for them. It is still undecided whether my niece is coming - she would like to come but her father is undecisive about this.

We have an only child DS who is almost 11 and are considering taking a friend for him when he is 13. My side note is to realize that though it may seem unlikely, the parents may say no to save face for their DD who may not be confortable being away from home for that period of time and that distance. Fourteen is not so old and at fourteen I know i was not ready for a week long trip that far from my parents and i doubt my DS will be either. Many kids are used to weeks alone at camps and friends but for other this can be very embarassing for them. I would not try to talk them into anything but just let them know how much your family wants her to join you. I doubt money is the issue at all unless they are uncomfortable with such a generous gift.

Jordan's mom

Actually, the girl who was our first choice declined due to a homesickness problem, which I fully understood. The girl we are taking now is much more independent and has no qualms about going. Oh, and by the way - she's going!:D

Your child will enjoy having a friend along so much! We have never taken a friend to WDW (because of the expense) but we have taken them to the beach for a week. We started letting each kid take a frind when they were 13. At that age, peer friendships are extremely important, and they enjoy spending time with each other. I really enjoy getting to know the friend, too.

My daughter 15 and we have been taking a friend since she was 8, no matter where we go. The last 4 trips to WDW, in the last 4 years, she has taken a friend, and has a much better time. I am a single mom, so the friend pays their air fare, entrance into parks, and gives me about $200 for food for a week, I pick up the rest. I have found that this works great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter