To do list of what to do before vacation

jnkrim

Earning My Ears
I've seen packing lists, but I'm wondering if there is a good list of what to do to prepare your house before you leave. Such as turning off the water, putting lights on a timer, etc. This is our first trip in our current house and I am thinking of things such as we have an indoor water heater right down the hall from where we keep our photos and our computers. Thanks!

I obsessively clean my house from top to bottom before our trips. I really have NO idea why?? Clean and organize everything. We have 7 kids so I "think" its because I just like to know it will look nice for a week while we are gone! Hahaha!!

I also like to clean my house from top to bottom before leaving on a trip! LOL I like to come home to a clean house! I don't turn off the water or put lights on a timer; my neighbor will keep an eye on things... I do have the post office hold my mail.

Turning off the water is interesting, we have never done that. We do make sure ALL of our TV's, power strips, microwave, washer and dryer are all unplugged. We also take A/C units out and make sure all windows are locked. We put a hold on our mail (which I extend until a few days after we are expected to return, just in case) I admit I do not clean top to bottom, but make sure all laundry is done and bathroom/kitchen are clean, all dishes are done and all trash is taken out. I also called our bank and put alerts on our credit cards to let everyone know we are traveling so there are no issues while we are away !!

Unplug all unnecessary items, adjust the thermostat, fresh sheets on all the beds, empty all trash, wash all dishes.

I also clean from top to bottom. I've always done that. The very last thing I want to do when I come home from Vacation is clean. All I want to do is toss the Laundry from vacation in the wash and sleep lol!

A few other things -
stop mail and newspapers
adjust thermostat
take trash & recycling out of house (and have neighbor set outside and return trash cans if needed)
mow before leaving (so you don't come home to tall grass)
schedule dog sitting or kennel if needed / or set auto feeder for fish
make sure dishwasher and washing machine are empty

I also clean obsessively before leaving for vacation my mom always cleaned her way out the door so I do it too. When I was older and asked her why, she said in case we were robbed while on vacation the police wouldn't be coming into a messy house :sad2:

DH plugs a LOUD radio & light on a timer so it goes on & people think we're home. We stop our mail & newspaper delivery, unplug all appliances. I also like to arrive back to a clean home!

Clean the house, do any laundry, clean all dishes, and take out the garbage

Unplug power strips, coffee pot, ac, and toaster.

Stop mail

Set up timers and automatic fish feeders

I also lock all windows and close all blinds and curtains so no one can see in.

Notify your credit card companies that you are vacationing so they don't put a hold on your accounts.

I've seen packing lists, but I'm wondering if there is a good list of what to do to prepare your house before you leave. Such as turning off the water, putting lights on a timer, etc. This is our first trip in our current house and I am thinking of things such as we have an indoor water heater right down the hall from where we keep our photos and our computers. Thanks!
Have somebody you trust collect mail for you, so it doesnt pile up. We hook up a Nest camera facing our cars in the driveway. Notify bank of plans to be in Florida. Clean out the fridge, flush toilets (especially if you have litttles that like to leave things), lights off and GARBAGE OUT and lock up! We also unplug a/c units and tv's. We clean house and try to get laundry done and put away.

Insurance agent here - Yes turning water off is actually a great tip for vacation when no one is checking on your home!!!!! Just make sure to empty the lines after you turn it off and empty the ice tray in your freezer. Doing these things can help prevent a water loss in your home if a pipe breaks or freezer burns out. It's also great to keep a light on a timer inside of a front window to make it appear someone is at home. If it is winter, do not turn off the furnace but you can adjust the settings for a lower temperature. You can also put a coin on top of a cup of frozen water in the freezer so you know if the power went out long enough to defrost your food. Lastly, check with your neighbors or police department to keep an extra watch on your home while you are gone. Our local police department offers this as a service and it's great. I second all the other posters suggestions as well.

- Clean the house and leave clean sheets on the beds
- Leave several ready-to-bake meals in the freezer ('cause you won't feel like going to the grocery store immediately upon your return)
- Stop the mail -- it's easy to do online
- Board the dogs
- Turn off water, turn down thermostat
- Assuming we're driving, have the car serviced and cleaned
- Pay all bills
- Verify double-check all our travel plans and pick up cash

For longer trips, we put a few ice cubes into a container in the freezer. If you return from your trip and instead of ice cubes you have one solid mass, you know that you lost power long enough for your freezer items to melt and re-freeze, and that food in your fridge/freezer might not be something you want to eat!

I always put mail on hold until I return.
I always clean, and make sure the trash can is empty from the house.
Have a meal to come home to.

Like others, I clean. I hate to come home to a dirty house.

Now, I clean so our son knows what it should look like when we walk back in.

I leave a list of what to pick up before we return. That way he can stop at the store and get cream for tea, milk, and anything else I list.

We don't have to stop our mail since our mailbox has a floor that lifts out.

We notify our bank, since that one time that they put a hold on our credit card and we ended up having to pay cash for gas.

We also clean out the car, wash the windows and change the oil.

When I was leaving the cat in the house, I always changed the smoke detector batteries before I left. Didn't want the cat to have to listen to the dying battery beeping, and didn't want cat sitter to have to change it.

When turning the water off in your house, which i think is slightly overly cautious, I would focus on the weak point in your water system. Thats the rubber connection hoses from the valve to your washing machine. Those hoses never last long and can fail even under non-operating conditions. That valve they connect too should be shut off if you are worried.

We don't unplug all of the computers/wi-fi stuff because we set up a few nanny cams. We don't use them when we are home (creepy), but we do when we are gone. That's how we knew a smoke detector was beeping (and texted the pet sitter to change the battery - she is the best!). We also like to spy on the cats.

I don't clean - the cats trash the place while we are gone.

I update an external drive that I keep a decent amount of important things on. I then bring it with me.

I unplug the coffee maker - it is the only nonbuilt-in resistor-based appliance that we leave plugged in (my husband insists on using the timer or I would never leave it plugged in).

I make sure no one has posted something stupid online - like "we're heading to Cancun - see everyone in 10 days!" Because that is asking for someone to break in.

I buy a lot of candy for the trip.

Give any leftovers/fruits/veggies/milk that won't last to a friend so you don't end up with something smelly when you get home :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter