To do or not to do 11month old..

We decided instead of going in Feb/March like we normally do. To go in October/November so baby will be 17-18months and then we will go again in May for her 2nd bday. We’ve always wanted to go in the fall so this works nicely.

We decided instead of going in Feb/March like we normally do. To go in October/November so baby will be 17-18months and then we will go again in May for her 2nd bday. We’ve always wanted to go in the fall so this works nicely.

I think you’ve made a great decision!

We also stood in some 15-20 minute lines just to change his diaper.

That’s bananas. In 13 years of taking kids to DL I have never once waited 15-20 minutes to change a diaper! Was that in the baby care center! If we are nearby I go there, otherwise honestly I recline the stroller, lay a changing pad down, and change in the stroller. I can’t stand the thought of how disgusting the changing tables in the bathrooms would look in a Petri dish. The BCC is constantly cleaning them and has fresh paper down for every child at least.

She will have fun at either age. It’s all about new experiences and watching the world around them, and spending time with you! My kids have all been going to Disneyland since they were about 2 months old and I wouldn’t trade our “baby memories” at Disney for the world!

We went with our then 2 year old and 13 month old last year (we will be going again in December) and we had a blast. Yeah there were some trying times (figuring out how to get warm milk for 13 month old, which really isn't that hard or any table service experience), but the looks on their faces when meeting characters, watching parades, and even going to the hotel lobby was priceless.

...Our 12-month trip was filled with tons of firsts - first taste of ice cream (France at Epcot), first character meal (Tusker House - and we've gone back for every birthday since), first Mickey waffle (he ate like 4-5!), and my favorite: he started walking at the Boneyard at AK...

I just had to say this was so sweet I actually teared up!

My DS's first trip was at 18 months, and I thought it was perfect! Have a wonderful time!

We've brought DD every year since she was 7-8 months old. The first 2 trips were easy, breezy. The 3rd trip, just before her 3rd birthday was a bit more difficult because she was entering that independent stage. We planned our meals around her meal times and we stuck to her nap & bedtime schedule as best as possible. DH & I were still able to enjoy the parks & rides with her napping in the stroller during the day and sleeping in it at night.

If you want to go, then go. I have been with a variety of ages, and I think 11 months is A LOT easier than taking a 2 year old (and we are about to take our youngest, who is 2, on an upcoming trip)

If you try to go once a year anyway, then I would go for it!

We took our son at 7 1/2 months and 12 months. Both were great trips, and a lot easier than I thought they would be (we drove, but we also took a different trip with him flying right before the 12 month trip).

Here are some things that really helped:
-A front carrier. We kept him in the stroller most of the time, but strollers are not allowed in lines. A front carrier was great because he could be in it in line and stay in it on the ride. It was easy getting on and off rides, and he got to see everything facing forward. The only ride we were asked to remove him from the carrier was on the carousel.
-Baby Care Centers. It was a lot more calm for diaper changes there than in a bathroom. That said, we also used the companion restrooms a couple of times if we weren't close to the baby care center and had a two-person diaper job.
-Johnson and Johnson hand and face wipes (love these!) and disposable plastic placemats if already starting on table food (they come in Mickey versions too!). Those were my lifesavers for keeping everything sanitary.

Trips at both ages were awesome! At 7 1/2 months, we got his first Mickey Ears Hat, and he actually recognized Mickey during the character meet (we had been watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and an old Disney sing-a-long, Disneyland Fun, which shows the characters in the parks).

Our 12-month trip was filled with tons of firsts - first taste of ice cream (France at Epcot), first character meal (Tusker House - and we've gone back for every birthday since), first Mickey waffle (he ate like 4-5!), and my favorite: he started walking at the Boneyard at AK.

So go for it, and make some great memories! Since you go at least once a year, it's also a great time to start some family traditions.
My baby will be almost 7 mos when we go go this Nov. These are some great tips! Thanks! What kind of schedule did you keep in the parks? Like what time did you usually get there & leave for the day? Did yours nap in the stroller or did you go back to the room? Did you do any table service dining & how did that go? I know not every baby is the same, but I’m just wondering how it worked for others since I can’t really know how he’ll be then since he’s only 7 weeks now. He’s a very laid back baby now, but I find it kind of hard to plan since he can/will change so much by then.

I would save the money and take baby during the fall after her second birthday. She's not going to remember her 2nd birthday anymore than her first trip to Disney so it could be a great exercise in accepting the changes that come into your life when you have children as well as a fine addition to the family's savings account with the icing on the cake being visiting WDW during the fall.
Just a suggestion and different way to look at the situ:).

My baby will be almost 7 mos when we go go this Nov. These are some great tips! Thanks! What kind of schedule did you keep in the parks? Like what time did you usually get there & leave for the day? Did yours nap in the stroller or did you go back to the room? Did you do any table service dining & how did that go? I know not every baby is the same, but I’m just wondering how it worked for others since I can’t really know how he’ll be then since he’s only 7 weeks now. He’s a very laid back baby now, but I find it kind of hard to plan since he can/will change so much by then.

We just went for one day at the Magic Kingdom and one night on our first trip (we live a couple hours away), and we got much more done than we expected. We arrived early in the day (maybe 10ish) and left late afternoon, as we were meeting some out of town family members for dinner in Disney Springs.

He easily napped in the stroller, and we had lunch at a counter service restaurant with outdoor seating. That allowed us to park the stroller right next to our table, and he could sleep while we enjoyed lunch.

Rides were super easy with a baby, and since our expectations of what we would get done were pretty low, we ended up doing an impressive number of rides. He loved all of the visuals around the park, and it was just really easy to travel with him at that age (except for the insane amount of baby gear I packed - and didn't need - for one night). A backpack as a diaper bag worked great too.

We flew with a 1 year old and he did wonderful. The flight attendants were really great about helping us too. We opted to skip Disney thinking that it wasn't really worth it - but honestly, we often talk about how much he probably would have enjoyed it at that time. I think as long as you really plan to do comfortable naps and keep a relatively normal schedule that you'd enjoy it. We went with my nephew at 18 months (granted that is a big leap at that age) and he had a blast. We are taking him this summer and he just turned 2 and he is totally psyched for it though - he constantly tells us his toys are going to Disney World when he's playing! :love:

Does anyone know if some of the more family friendly table service places allow strollers? I feel like I’ve been with relatives before who have left s sleeping child in the stroller while they ate.

I would save the money and take baby during the fall after her second birthday. She's not going to remember her 2nd birthday anymore than her first trip to Disney so it could be a great exercise in accepting the changes that come into your life when you have children as well as a fine addition to the family's savings account with the icing on the cake being visiting WDW during the fall.
Just a suggestion and different way to look at the situ:).
Personally, I’ve been with ppl with children that age & it seemed like a lot more work than a baby b/c of some of the reasons ppl mentioned earlier. And it doesn’t seem like OP is having trouble “accepting the changes that come with having children”. I think she just brought up that they go once a yr to make the point that it’s not one of those once in a lifetime trips to avoid the comments about waiting until the child can remember.

We took our son at 18 months old to Disneyland. It was perfect and he was free everywhere we went. He just couldn’t get on some rides but it was ok.

Does anyone know if some of the more family friendly table service places allow strollers? I feel like I’ve been with relatives before who have left s sleeping child in the stroller while they ate.

There may be a few, but most don’t allow it, I’m assuming because of space constraints.

When my son was that age, if we went out to eat, we went when he normally ate. I’d feed him while we were waiting for our food. That way, I didn’t have to take the time to feed him early (or late) at home. We went on his first vacation when he was 8 months old (not to Disney though) and it worked great.

Personally, I’ve been with ppl with children that age & it seemed like a lot more work than a baby b/c of some of the reasons ppl mentioned earlier. And it doesn’t seem like OP is having trouble “accepting the changes that come with having children”. I think she just brought up that they go once a yr to make the point that it’s not one of those once in a lifetime trips to avoid the comments about waiting until the child can remember.
Actually further on the OP stated she was going twice in one year: once in the fall and next time to celebrate her DD's 2nd birthday. I suggested combining 2 trips over a 10 month period in one not abandoning all trips because the child is too young to remember. It's certainly a fact that her DD is not going to remember this trip except via memories of her elders but it's also a fact that it's less expensive to take infants and toddlers on these type of trips.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!