To-Go Lunch Ideas Needed!

Heather.Mohler

Mouseketeer
I spend all day away from home (in another city, even) at class. I don't have access to a microwave or oven and all I have to keep foods at a safe temperature is a cooler and gel packs. I need ideas of what to take for lunch that is above all healthy, but also will satisfy me. The more ideas the better!

Here are just a few quick ideas of what I fall back on when necessary.

Cold cereal and milk (bring the milk in a thermos), plus fruit.

salad.... I buy the bagged stuff to make it faster. I throw in a handful of baby carrots and some prewashed grape tomatoes.... sometimes cucumber if I have the time to cut it up. For protein I might put a few hardboiled egg whites or some other leftover lean meat on top (chicken breast, pork tenderloin). I premeasure my dressing into a tiny tupperware container. Don't forget your fork!

Sandwich made with Hormel all-natural lunch meat (the honey ham and smoked turkey are both good). Three slices of the turkey are 1 point and four slices of the ham are 1 point. That on a large one point wrap (Smart Tortilla Company) loaded with spinach, lettuce, and tomato is very filling. Sometimes if I want to spend more points I will spread a wedge of LC cheese on the wrap or maybe some guacamole (the 100 calorie packs work well). I might bring along a handful of baby carrots or some celery sticks also or Baked Lays if I really want a special treat.

If you need something warm you could bring soup or oatmeal or even leftovers in a thermos. If you pre-warm your thermos in the morning with hot water and be sure the food is really hot when you load the thermos, it will still be hot at lunch.

Yogurt parfait.... 1/2 C fat free vanilla yogurt (2 pts for the Stonyfield Farms) in one large container, and bring along a serving of chopped fruit in another container and then a small baggie of granola or nuts or some other cereal. Make your own parfait at lunchtime by adding the cereal and fruit to the yogurt. You can make this more or less points, depending on how much fruit you add and what kind/portion of cereal you use. When I am using more points I will use the Special K lowfat granola. When I am trying to use less points, I will use a few Tb. of Fiberone. Strawberries, blueberries, banana, mango, pineapple all work well for this.

SOrry... I'm not sure if you are doing Weight Watchers and I noticed that I kind of automatically added point for some of this stuff.... ignore that info if necessary! Anyhow, hope some of this helps............P

Hummus and egg salad sandwich.

Fresh Fruit and Yogurt.

Whole Wheat Pasta with Fresh Mushrooms and Tomatos. No pasta sauce! Just chopping up the tomatos and the Mushrooms and cooking them in some garlic and edamame is great! all the flavor you need!

Risotto.

Sandwiches with different fillings each day. Try Tofurky one day with hummus instead of mayo. Ham the next with swiss cheese. don't use cabbage because it doesn't do anything for you. Instead use spanich for your greens!

Shepperd's pie is quick and easy for dinner the day before and great for lunch left overs the next day.

Red Beans and Rice is always great!

And soups and salads are always great make sure you use red cabbage or spiniach!

Hummus with whole wheat pita bread, carrots and/or celery

Sandwiches on whole wheat such as All-natural peanut butter and strawberry jam or turkey and cheese

Fresh, seasonal fruit

Fat free yogurt (usually Activia)

I like to snack on unsalted almonds, homeade granola, homeade Chex mix, and Cheerios

Hope this helps

If there is a subway nearby, both BL and WW say the turkey or the veggie six inch is good. You just want to be careful with what you put on it. I usually use the sweet vidalia sauce and tell them just a little. Also, if you are doing WW, a cup of the LF soups at Panera are 2 points. Almost all restaurants have their nutritional values online, so you can look up any places around you. Of course, this is if you really need a break from packing your own food, which is cheaper, but sometimes you just need something different. Never allow yourself to get bored with your food or you begin to binge on the wrong foods!! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts