To GO or NOT to GO, that is the question!

disneydreamer21

disneydreamer
First of all, my biggest mistake was visiting the Disboards. You simply cannot visit this site and not get the compelling urge to go to WDW! My advice to anyone who won't be visiting WDW in the next 2 years should NOT read any posts! Don't do it! It is TORTURE!
So, here is my dilemma: We haven't been to WDW in three years (this July) and our last trip was, well, less than what we expected. The reason being is b/c on our first full day/night at MK, my mom slipped on a very steep stairway at MK, and broke her leg! Of course, at the time we didn't know her leg was broken. The costs for medical care out of state would've been outrageous, so she was toted around in a wheelchair the entire trip with excruciating pain. It was a rough time for us all. (although we did get to skip to the front of the lines in most cases, it wasn't worth the "lack of memories" for my mom. She could barely walk, so helping with the 3 grandkids was out of the question!)
We swore we would come back when my youngest was over 40 inches tall, and according to my calculations last week, he's hit that milestone 1/2 an inch ago! YIPEEE!!! Now we can all go and ride most everything. (with a few exceptions, I know)
There is one problem, however. My DH is a total el cheap-o. He doesn't like the idea of spending $1000 on plane tickets, another $500 on hotels/house rental, and another $1200 for tickets. (I know there are food expenses, but I tend to leave these out b/c technically we would be spending $ on food anyway, so it doesn't count in my book)
My DH is very against spending any $ on vacations. But every year I beg and plead about memories mattering more than material things, and we go on one anyway. I've added the expenses to these last minute trips up, and let me tell you folks, it's almost as much as it would cost to go to WDW!!! For example, we went to Branson, Missouri two years ago. We stayed 6 nights, and with costs for theme parks, food, shows, hotel, and gas, it was over $1700!!! Nothing against Branson or anything, it was beautiful, but nothing compared to WDW.
Another example, last year we went the "Great Outdoors" route, and rented a lakehome near Tulsa, Oklahoma for 7 days. The rental home cost us about $1000, food, $300, fishing/boating expenses were $400, and gas around $300. Am I crazy or are we spending almost as much on these little insignificant vactions as what WDW would cost????
San Antonio "Sea World" trip is another example.
He likes going on those "last minute" vacations that cost you an arm and a leg, but doesn't feel like you are spending money b/c it's all last minute, and no one really adds it all up until it's already spent. Does this make sense???
So, I need your help. I need some ways to convince my el-cheapo hubby to go to WDW. I'm currently watching the flights to Orlando from my hometown to see if any cheap flights come up for this summer. My sister and her hubby are thinking about joining us, which could go in "halvesies" on the rental house. I'm tempted to ask my mom and dad to go again, to help with the house expense, but then again, last time they were more work than help! Are there any other ways to save money so I can go??? My kiddos are 9, 6, and 4.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

i can totally sympathize with you!! first things first, there are a lot of deals right now out for disney, gift card promotion, PINs for getting percents off etc. those are great deals! also, pop is no more expensive than a regular hotel, don't be tempted to stay off property or else you will have to spend money on a car or cab. I would suggest give a day get a disney day program but i heard thats over now. We recently bought airfare for 150 each. Disney is never outta reach!! gift card could help cover food costs is DDP was too much for you guys financially. Last minute vacations are never a good idea they end up cost so much more when you could have planned well and in advance for dis!! :woohoo: i hope this helps and good luck!!

Thanks, lindsayp, that does help! I recently found airline tickets that would require a 3 hour drive to another airport, for $120 p/p round trip. This is a GREAT deal, but I'm nervous about going with my gut and getting them before I convince my DH. I am currently in the "hunting" stages for good deals. I did just get an email about the free dining plan for the entire summer. It is tempting.....

no problem! my sister is the queen of finding great deals haha that's how i know about deals :P if you have any other questions you need help with i would be happy to give you advice, if i have some to give :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter