To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

21 Days to Go! (All Star) + Olympic Distance Triathlon - Mid-Vol - Week 6 + 80 Day Obsession - Week 9 (Phase 3)

5/20/19 - M - 80DO-D55-Cardio Core
5/21/19 - T - 80DO-D54-Total Body Core + Gendarme-3 (45 min; 51 TSS)
5/22/19 - W - 80DO-D51-AAA + [3x2 min @ I] (Run)
5/23/19 - R - Scott Peak-1 (30 min; 32 TSS)
5/24/19 - F - 20 min Easy Run
5/25/19 - Sa - 25 min WU + BratFest 5k + Townsend (90 min; 60 TSS)
5/26/19 - Su - 60 min Easy Run + Polar Bear-3 (120 min; 102 TSS)

Total Run Miles - 17.5 miles
Total Run Time - 2:32 hours
Total Run TSS - 169 TSS

Total Biking Time - 4:45 hours
Total Biking TSS - 245 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:44 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 31 TSS

Total Training Time - 10:02 hours
Total TSS - 445 TSS

Monday

80DO Cardio Core workout. A series of cardio HIIT moves and then a core move.

Tuesday

80DO Total Body Core workout. Again a 2x15.

Series 1: Surrender to Shoulder Press, Quad Ped Crawl, Burpee Sliders
Series 2: Bent Over Row Tap Back, Squat Tabletop Row, Saw on Sliders
Series 3: Modified 1/2 Turkish Push-up, Side Reach Push-up, V Crunch to Scissor Crunch
Series 4: Runner's Lunge Curl, Static Sumo Hammer Curl, Slider Crawl Out
Series 5: Tricep Push up w/ knee tuck, Squat Hold Kickbacks, Weighted Windmills

Cycling: Gendarme -3 is trimmed down to 2x15-minute sets of 30-second VO2max repeats at 120% FTP. The breaks within the sets of repeats match the work intervals at 30 seconds each and rest between the sets is 5 minutes long.

Wednesday

AAA was 2 x 15 and go through all moves before going to the top but now in Phase 3 with all new moves.

Series 1: Czech Press, Front Raise, Slider Windshield Wipers, Side Lunge Hold
Series 2: Bridge Pull Over, Camel Bicep Curl, Weighted Twisted Roll Down, Marching Bridge
Series 3: Bridge Bilateral Press, Tricep Kickback in Lunge, Weighted Knee Drops, Curtsy Lunge Pulse

Run: My last hard workout prior to BratFest 5k. Coach decided to come out for this one to motivate me to push hard.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 14mph to 30mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 79°F + 55°F; FL - 79°F
End: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 55°F; FL - 79°F

The right glute was still super tight. Wasn't sure what the fast pacing was going to feel like. This was a fairly small workout at 3 x 2 min at I.

I pace - 5:46, 5:52, 5:53

WOW! I should get coach to come out everyday! I was flying. And it felt oh so right.

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 6.40.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 6.40.11 PM.png

Thursday

Cycling: Scott Peak -1 is 30 minutes of easy, aerobic riding with 4x45-second race openers between 135-150% FTP somewhere near the middle of the workout. Recoveries between openers are 90 seconds long.

Friday

Run: An easy run

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 63°F; FL - 72°F
End: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 63°F; FL - 72°F

2.1 miles in 20 min at 9:16 pace and 131 HR average.

Saturday

BratFest 5k Recap

Cycling: Townsend consists of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP.

Went swimming and then out to dinner for my MIL's birthday. Picked up a foam roller from my SIL and gave it a try on my right glute. It was sore and it felt somewhat better afterwards, but not great. I'm going to keep up the foam rolling to see if I can induce some recovery.

Sunday

Run: An easy run. My right glute was super tight. Never really felt like it released the entire run, but around 3 miles it felt better than when I started. About the same as the WU prior to BratFest 5k.

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 4mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 62°F + 53°F; FL - 62°F
End: Temp+Dew = 64°F + 53°F; FL - 62°F

6.4 miles in 57 min at 9:01 min/mile pace and 131 HR average.

Cycling: Polar Bear -3 is 120 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 105 minutes between 70-75% FTP.

Went to a birthday party and retirement party.

Time for some peak week training. I am going to be conservative with 80DO. To date, cycling causes no issues with the glute. Running makes it sore, but not feel any worse. And it isn't noticeable at fast paces. But reaching and picking up weights for 80DO is questionable. So I'm just trying to be conservative.

21 Days to Go! (All Star) + Olympic Distance Triathlon - Mid-Vol - Week 6 + 80 Day Obsession - Week 9 (Phase 3)

5/20/19 - M - 80DO-D55-Cardio Core
5/21/19 - T - 80DO-D54-Total Body Core + Gendarme-3 (45 min; 51 TSS)
5/22/19 - W - 80DO-D51-AAA + [3x2 min @ I] (Run)
5/23/19 - R - Scott Peak-1 (30 min; 32 TSS)
5/24/19 - F - 20 min Easy Run
5/25/19 - Sa - 25 min WU + BratFest 5k + Townsend (90 min; 60 TSS)
5/26/19 - Su - 60 min Easy Run + Polar Bear-3 (120 min; 102 TSS)

Total Run Miles - 17.5 miles
Total Run Time - 2:32 hours
Total Run TSS - 169 TSS

Total Biking Time - 4:45 hours
Total Biking TSS - 245 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:44 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 31 TSS

Total Training Time - 10:02 hours
Total TSS - 445 TSS

Monday

80DO Cardio Core workout. A series of cardio HIIT moves and then a core move.

Tuesday

80DO Total Body Core workout. Again a 2x15.

Series 1: Surrender to Shoulder Press, Quad Ped Crawl, Burpee Sliders
Series 2: Bent Over Row Tap Back, Squat Tabletop Row, Saw on Sliders
Series 3: Modified 1/2 Turkish Push-up, Side Reach Push-up, V Crunch to Scissor Crunch
Series 4: Runner's Lunge Curl, Static Sumo Hammer Curl, Slider Crawl Out
Series 5: Tricep Push up w/ knee tuck, Squat Hold Kickbacks, Weighted Windmills

Cycling: Gendarme -3 is trimmed down to 2x15-minute sets of 30-second VO2max repeats at 120% FTP. The breaks within the sets of repeats match the work intervals at 30 seconds each and rest between the sets is 5 minutes long.

Wednesday

AAA was 2 x 15 and go through all moves before going to the top but now in Phase 3 with all new moves.

Series 1: Czech Press, Front Raise, Slider Windshield Wipers, Side Lunge Hold
Series 2: Bridge Pull Over, Camel Bicep Curl, Weighted Twisted Roll Down, Marching Bridge
Series 3: Bridge Bilateral Press, Tricep Kickback in Lunge, Weighted Knee Drops, Curtsy Lunge Pulse

Run: My last hard workout prior to BratFest 5k. Coach decided to come out for this one to motivate me to push hard.

Conditions - ☀ Clear, Wind 14mph to 30mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 79°F + 55°F; FL - 79°F
End: Temp+Dew = 78°F + 55°F; FL - 79°F

The right glute was still super tight. Wasn't sure what the fast pacing was going to feel like. This was a fairly small workout at 3 x 2 min at I.

I pace - 5:46, 5:52, 5:53

WOW! I should get coach to come out everyday! I was flying. And it felt oh so right.

View attachment 403561

View attachment 403560

Thursday

Cycling: Scott Peak -1 is 30 minutes of easy, aerobic riding with 4x45-second race openers between 135-150% FTP somewhere near the middle of the workout. Recoveries between openers are 90 seconds long.

Friday

Run: An easy run

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 9mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 63°F; FL - 72°F
End: Temp+Dew = 72°F + 63°F; FL - 72°F

2.1 miles in 20 min at 9:16 pace and 131 HR average.

Saturday

BratFest 5k Recap

Cycling: Townsend consists of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP.

Went swimming and then out to dinner for my MIL's birthday. Picked up a foam roller from my SIL and gave it a try on my right glute. It was sore and it felt somewhat better afterwards, but not great. I'm going to keep up the foam rolling to see if I can induce some recovery.

Sunday

Run: An easy run. My right glute was super tight. Never really felt like it released the entire run, but around 3 miles it felt better than when I started. About the same as the WU prior to BratFest 5k.

Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 4mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 62°F + 53°F; FL - 62°F
End: Temp+Dew = 64°F + 53°F; FL - 62°F

6.4 miles in 57 min at 9:01 min/mile pace and 131 HR average.

Cycling: Polar Bear -3 is 120 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 105 minutes between 70-75% FTP.

Went to a birthday party and retirement party.

Time for some peak week training. I am going to be conservative with 80DO. To date, cycling causes no issues with the glute. Running makes it sore, but not feel any worse. And it isn't noticeable at fast paces. But reaching and picking up weights for 80DO is questionable. So I'm just trying to be conservative.

Oh my gosh, G is soooo cute in her coaching outfit!

Congrats on the race! Not too bad for the first race back post-injury :).
I really need to step up my prediction game, though. Or you need to speed up significantly. One of the two. And I'm stubborn, so you may have to speed up.

I love G's coaching outfit! Are the Badgers looking for a new coach? She seems like a good candidate - looks good in the colors and is clearly an excellent motivator.

Congrats on the race! Not too bad for the first race back post-injury :).

Thanks!

I really need to step up my prediction game, though. Or you need to speed up significantly. One of the two. And I'm stubborn, so you may have to speed up.

:lmao:

I love G's coaching outfit! Are the Badgers looking for a new coach? She seems like a good candidate - looks good in the colors and is clearly an excellent motivator.

Seems like a fit to me.

👩‍🏫

14 Days to Go! (Bicycle) + Olympic Distance Triathlon - Mid-Vol - Week 7

5/27/19 - M - Juneau-3 (120 min; 128 TSS)
5/28/19 - T - 90 min Free Run (Tried to be around LR effort)
5/29/19 - W - Sierra+5 (120 min; 144 TSS)
5/30/19 - R - Collins (75 min; 58 TSS)
5/31/19 - F - Collins+1 (75 min; 63 TSS) + Mist+3 (90 min; 122 TSS)
6/1/19 - Sa - Pettit (60 min; 39 TSS) + Townsend (90 min; 60 TSS)
6/2/19 - Su - Vogelsang+3 (210 min; 178 TSS)

Total Run Miles - 11.5 miles
Total Run Time - 1:30 hours
Total Run TSS - 111 TSS

Total Biking Time - 14:00 hours (PR)
Total Biking TSS - 793 TSS (PR)

Total 80DO Time - 0 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 0 TSS

Total Training Time - 15:30 hours
Total TSS - 904 TSS (PR)

Monday

Hooray for a holiday! It meant I could keep this bicycle train rolling and have a longer bike ride at 2 hours on a weekday.

Cycling: Juneau -3 is 4x18-minute intervals at 88-92% FTP with a few brief, 1-minute intermediate recoveries during each long interval. 6-minute recoveries fall between intervals.

Tuesday

Run: This was a watershed run. After the weekend run's last week, my right glute was still sore. Arguably more sore than it's been. But Tuesday, it felt ok. So I decided to see how it felt to do 60, 90, or 120 min at long run effort. I was also going to try out the super concentrated Tailwind Mandrin Orange. So instead of the normal formulation that I use (1 scoop to 8oz water or 1 scoop to 12oz water) this super concentrated form was going to be 1 scoop to 1 oz water. I was interested to see if it even dissolved at that concentration. For the most part it did, it did slightly fall out of solution, but a quick shake got it back in mostly. So what did it taste like? A liter punch to the taste buds. Ever had a super sour Warhead? Like that. Didn't bother me one bit to have a sip of it. I had it in my 8oz Nathan bottle and wore my special Nike G shorts with the pockets. It fit nicely in the back.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 9mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 59°F + 54°F; FL - 59°F
End: Temp+Dew = 58°F + 53°F; FL - 59°F

Well first things first, the 5oz of super concentrate in the Nathan bottle made my shorts fall down as soon as I started running. So that was essentially a no go. Going to have to rethink the strategy there. But I did just carry it along and try it out. No issues as long as I sipped the concentrate lightly every 15 min or so and drank plenty of water in addition.

The bad news was the right glute was super tight and sore essentially the whole run. It was definitely uncomfortable to run and was pulling on my leg awkwardly unlike any previous run in the last two weeks. I hemmed and hawed during the run and afterwards as to whether I was going to shut it down.

Overall, the run splits weren't that bad. 11.5 miles in 90 min at 7:47 pace with HR of 144. All about where I expected it to be.

When I got home, I felt it was the necessary move for the time being. Maybe some rest now would heal it in time for Hot2Trot. But with 80DO and running out of the picture it meant only cycling for the next week or so. So I went through and edited the rest of the week removing the running from peak week and throwing as much bike training as I could fit in.

I went back and checked the logs and confirmed the strained glute likely came on Friday May 17th. I had a "burnout" leg day in 80DO where you use sliders to do curtsy moves and normal lunges. You hold this move for several repeated slides without allowing the glute to release. I probably pushed it a bit too far. And it manifested on the Saturday HM Tempo run (since I felt it right from the start). And the lack of resting it only allowed it to progress instead of heal.

Wednesday

With no running, I decided to take the training to the moon with the highest FTP cycle ride yet. And it looked like a lot of fun. A crescendo of intervals with equal rests between them.

Cycling: Sierra +5 is an assortment of suprathreshold efforts consisting of 2x7 minutes at 102% FTP, 3x5 minutes at 105% FTP, 3x3 minutes at 108% FTP, 3x2 minutes at 112% FTP and 3x1 minute at 115% FTP. Recoveries between intervals are between 1-5 minutes long.

G had fun doing an official fitting for her commercial filming. She had to parade around in front of the clients to get approval for the outfits. Apparently she was a mjor ham (as always).

Thursday

Cycling: Collins is 75 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent somewhere between 65-75% FTP.

Got an interesting call that night in advance of Gigi's commercial shoot with Associated Bank. They wanted to know if Steph and I would be extras and play her parents. I told Steph it was up to G because I didn't want to take away from her experience. But G was on board, so we would all do the shoot together. Didn't have much time to find some clothes for Steph and I that fit the looks they were going for, but we found some options.

Friday

Got up at 4am so that I could finish the bike ride before we had to leave for the commercial shoot.

Cycling Morning: Collins +1 is 75 minutes of aerobic endurance riding spent somewhere between 65-75% FTP and includes 3 late-ride sprints

Can't really give any specifics about the shoot itself due to NDA and confidentiality agreements, but it was an interesting experience. Gigi had a ton of fun. I had to have her show me the ropes and she did a great job giving me directions. It was an interesting experience getting my "look" approved by the clients and having to switch out all the small details on my clothing. I'm excited to see what comes of it. They were filming three different commercials at 12 different locations on three separate days. So it was a legit production with a Hollywood based crew. Steph said it was the highest quality shoot G's been a part of yet. Did one funny thing where I held a GoPro in my mouth and then swung G around in a circle. That was definitely a first for me.

Cycling Evening: Mist +3 is 3 sets of 3x3.5-minute VO2max repeats that start at 118% FTP and drop to 115% and then 112% over the course of the 3 sets. 3.5-minute recoveries fall between intervals and 6-minute recovery valleys separate the sets.

Saturday

Flipped the morning and evening workouts due to weather. Steph wanted to go look at plants since our lawn is probably going to be planted next week. And with rain in the forecast mid-day the sooner we started the better.

Cycling Morning: Pettit is an hour of aerobic Endurance work spent between 60-70% FTP.

Cycling Evening: Townsend consists of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP.

Sunday

It's game time. Ready to tackle the longest ride yet. The goal was to take peak week as high as I could without pushing this specific training cycle too far. The most I had done prior was 2.5 hours. So I thought somewhere between 3-4 hours would be reasonable.

Cycling: Vogelsang +3 consists of 4 hours of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-65% FTP except for 4x20-minute Tempo segments at 80% FTP.

I had a peanut butter sandwich after 2.25 hours. I drank Tailwind throughout. I had to get off the bike after 2.75 hours just to stretch a little. Ended the ride after 3.5 hours after the last Tempo interval. The only thing left was 15 min at recovery pace and 15 more min at less than recovery pace. My rear end was getting sore from grinding in the saddle for so long and being absolutely soaked. Without any breeze, the moisture I was generating wasn't going anywhere.

The ride ended up being 52 miles.

The week ended up at 219 miles of cycling which blows my previous high WAY out of the water. Other than being sore from sitting, I don't feel half bad. Definitely a manageable week and didn't push too far at all.

Hoping to run again on Tuesday to see how the glute is feeling. It feels much better and I haven't had many issues doing normal activities. So I'm hopeful I've done enough to help heal it.

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 5.48.43 PM.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter