To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you've got a (-) 388 right now. So your guess of 1:39:52 is in effect a 1:33:26 actual finish time (since the goal is to get you back to zero).

1:39:52 - 6:28 (388 seconds) = 1:33:26

A 1:33:26 would be a 7:11 pace for 13 miles. So either you went the wrong way on your prediction, or you think I'm going to have a hard time pulling back on race day (which isn't necessarily a bad bet). Just want to make sure this is the case.

1:34:15

(I have to try and make up for that terrible prediction last time that left me with +298!)

The beauty of the game is that in one race prediction you can nullify all your guesses that were off in the prior races. That's where the fun math comes in trying to get yourself back to zero. The other fun aspect is, if you try looking at other people's guesses for help on where you should be, it may screw you over since some people have +/-6 min gaps they're trying to make up for.

I have a big gap to make up. I’m assuming you stick fairly closely to the training run plan with some additional pep in your step for the final 2.1 miles.

1:41:41

Since my understanding is that I can pass without penalty (HM already covered), I’ll pass.

Since my understanding is that I can pass without penalty (HM already covered), I’ll pass... Or will I be missing bonus points if I do?

ETA: Reread the rules... Still passing.

Since my understanding is that I can pass without penalty (HM already covered), I’ll pass... Or will I be missing bonus points if I do?

Yeah, me too. I am on the fence as to whether or not you will actually rein yourself in and treat this as a training run. I have a feeling the competitor may come out.

Yeah, me too. I am on the fence as to whether or not you will actually rein yourself in and treat this as a training run. I have a feeling the competitor may come out.

You are correct. You do not need to play and can pass. The downside is missing out on the 15 second bonus which would be attributed to your time at the end of the game.

Well shoot, maybe I should pass? Hmmmm

That is the questions isn't it....

13 Weeks to Go! (Apollo 13) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 15/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 1/Week 1

10/7/19 - M - OFF
10/8/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Bago (90 min; 120 TSS)
10/9/19 - W - 11 x 1 min @ Max (Run)
10/10/19 - R - Gibralter (90 min; 111 TSS) + 30 min Brick Run at HM Tempo
10/11/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Pettit (60 min; 39 TSS)
10/12/19 - Sa - Gasherbrum (270 min; 199 TSS) + 45 min Evening Run at Easy
10/13/19 - Su - 150 min Run at LR + 80DO-Cardio Flow

Total Run Miles - 35.6 miles
Total Run Time - 4:52 hours
Total Run TSS - 283 TSS

Total Biking Time - 8:45 hours
Total Biking TSS - 469 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:16 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 31 TSS

Total Training Time - 15:53 hours
Total TSS - 783 TSS

Monday

Off day.

Tuesday

80DO-AAA in 2 sets of 15 cycle through whole workout then back to top.

1 - Upright Row, Bent over Fly, Frog Sliders, Glute Bridge w/Loop
2 - Push-up, Skull Crusher, Weighted ab sit-up, Quad Ped Heel Press
3 - Bent Over Row, Hammer Curl, Knee Tuck, Fire Hydrant

Cycling: Bago is made up of 3 sets of 4x3-minute VO2max repeats between 110-115% FTP. Equal, 3-minute recoveries fall between intervals and longer, 5-minute recoveries fall between sets of repeats. RPM at 97. A real doozy with a fair warning at the start. I was able to survive and thrive throughout.

Wednesday

Evening Run:
Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 9mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 62°F + 45°F; FL - 62°F
End: Temp+Dew = 59°F + 44°F; FL - 62°F

11 x 1 min @ Max

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 8.10.42 PM.png

Ended up averaging a 5:17 using GAP. Felt smooth throughout. No hamstring issues.

Thursday

Cycling: Gibraltar is 105 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 90 minutes between 80-85% FTP. RPM of 87. It was ok, but this was a bit of a drag. Just didn't feel very smooth. Didn't know what that was going to mean for the HM Tempo brick to follow. The FTP is Half Ironman bike leg pacing.

Brick Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 5mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 53°F + 48°F; FL - 53°F
End: Temp+Dew = 54°F + 49°F; FL - 53°F

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 8.17.08 PM.png

Based on a Garmin VO2max 58-57, I was aiming for a HM Tempo pace of 6:44-6:52. Overall I averaged 6:56 with a GAP of 6:51. So it was good, but not quite able to get down to pace. But definitely within the right place and was rather consistent. A total of 4.46 miles in 30 minutes.

Friday

80DO-Total Body Core. It was a 2 x 15 rep count through each series then back to top.

Shoulders: Squat Rotating Press, Lateral Bear Crawl with RL, Spider Loops with RL
Back: Bent over Row, One Hand Renegade Row with RL, Boat Pose Lat Pull with RL
Chest: Push-up Leg lift with RL, Chest Fly with Leg Lift with RL, Side V Loop Kicks with RL
Biceps: Staggered Stance Bicep Curl, C-Curve Crunch w/ weights at 90d, Side Knee Plank Pull with RL
Triceps: Tricep Kickbacks, Single-Arm Extension Loop, Tricep push up

Felt a twinge in my left ankle when walking to the car in the morning. Immediately thought it was related to the side planks. Was very nervous this was an early sign of something looming. It lasted throughout much of the day, but by late afternoon I wasn't feeling it anymore.

Cycling: Pettit is an hour of aerobic Endurance work spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM at 91. Nice and easy.

Saturday

Early morning because family was coming over and Steph was leaving for work at 7:15am. So up at 4:30am and started at 5:15am.

Cycling: Gasherbrum is 4.5 hours of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 65-75% FTP. RPM of 82. OOooff! Just did not have it for this one. Took some extra breaks along the way. I did complete it in full, but it was not smooth at all. The FTP is Ironman bike leg pacing.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 14mph to 26mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 36°F + 34°F; FL - 28°F
End: Temp+Dew = 36°F + 33°F; FL - 28°F

Had to wait until Steph got back from work at 7:45pm. Then I was out the door as fast as possible. MAN it was COLD AND WINDY!!! What the heck happened... I was definitely bundled up. I was worried about whether the left ankle was actually healthy or not. Thankfully there were zero issues. Ended up running 5.1 miles in 45 min at 8:47 min/mile with HR of 127. So while it was windy and I was slower than normal, the HR was nice and low as well. I just stayed easy to keep it easy. Especially with a 150 min long run looming in less than 10 hours.

Sunday

A birthday party for my nephew that afternoon, so another early morning. So up at 5:30am and the run started at 6:50am.

Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 8mph to 8mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 33°F; FL - 31°F
End: Temp+Dew = 38°F + 33°F; FL - 31°F

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 8.27.19 PM.png

Another cold morning. I hemmed and hawed which upper to wear. I was definitely wearing the Nike shorts. I decided to go with a thin long sleeve, thin gloves, and thin hat. Everything ended up being a good choice. I was also trying out my new marathon nutrition plan.

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 8.29.24 PM.png

-Maurten 320 15 min prior to starting the run (or in training I'm using SIS Beta because it's cheaper)
-Swig of concentrated Tailwind (2oz and 1 scoop) at 45 min and 1:45
-Maurten Caffeine at 60 min
-Maurten regular at 120 min
-Egel at 1:15 and 2:15.

This will give me 93g carbs/hr.

The practice went well in today's run. This was my first time trying Maurten gels. They are the consistency of Jello shots (flashbacks to college...). They were in-between needing to be chewed and just swallowed as is. Neither the regular or caffeine had much of any flavor. The benefit to them is they need zero water to be absorbed.

Pace-wise everything was rather consistent. Never really felt overly tired during the run. The fast finish was solid too.

All in all 19.3 miles in 150 min at 7:47 min/mile (GAP of 7:42) with a staggeringly low HR of 133. Based on historical data, I'd say this puts me on the cusp of 58/59 again (although still sitting at 58 after this run).

80DO-Cardio Flow to close out the week!

Happy to survive this week. Now I get another down week. Only a TSS of 585 projected and 11 hours.

Confused about the game or what will actually happen on race day?

So you've got a +147 cumulative time score right now. Which means you think I'll run:

1:37:13 + 147 seconds (2:27) = 1:39:40

If I run 1:39:40, then you will be back to zero.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!