To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Lots to read thanks! Due to a work scheduling mishap, I decided to do a 5mi M tempo run last night and boy was that rough! I've been pretty haphazard in my SOS runs and haven't done LR pace in a while but apparently my locals trails will be reopened Monday, so ... we shall see. They'll likely be mobbed so social distancing will be impossible. I don't dare do hills on my treadmill as the tech who helped move it said it was on its last legs and expressly told me it's not worth repairing when it breaks down. :oops:

Due to a work scheduling mishap, I decided to do a 5mi M tempo run last night and boy was that rough! I've been pretty haphazard in my SOS runs and haven't done LR pace in a while

Just don't beat yourself about it too much. Remember, as you said, you're just in maintenance mode. So, you're not really expected to bust out SOS type workouts in the same manner as when you're in the middle of training.

Week 7 of Mile Training + Some Cycling + Yoga Retreat

4/27/20 - M - OFF
4/28/20 - T - Yoga Retreat-Core + [6x800m at 3k pace] (Run)
4/29/20 - W - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS) + 60 min @ Easy Run
4/30/20 - R - Gibbs (120 min; 82 TSS)
5/1/20 - F - Yoga Retreat-Stretch + [5x300m + 2x150m + 300m] (Run)
5/2/20 - Sa - Townsend-1 (90 min; 55 TSS) + 60 min @ Easy Run
5/3/20 - Su - [5x450m + 4x150m] (Run) + Yoga Retreat-Balance

Total Run Miles - 33.2 miles
Total Run Time - 5:04 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 4:30 hours
Total Biking TSS - 164 TSS

Total Yoga Time - 1:35 hours
Total Yoga TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 11:09 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Highlights
-Week 7 of mile training. Did the following on Tuesday: [6x800m at 3k pace]

First I pace (3k pace) workout of the training plan. Based on the R pacing I've been able to do, the I pace should have been around 5:40 min/mile or 2:50 for 800m. I pace is really difficult and truly telling about fitness levels. So I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

Splits were:
800m = 3:01, 2:54, 2:55, 2:59, 3:01, 2:57 (avg. = 2:57, 5:58 min/mile)

My best split was 5:50 min/mile pace. Not quite sure if it was me being too conservative, granted all the intervals were plenty tough. Feel like maybe I was still feeling this pace out and it's going to take a few reps before I'm where I want to be on this one. But a 5:58 min/mile I pace is nothing to be discouraged about though because that's still indicative of 5:30ish mile pace. Next week I've got another I pace workout at 1000m, but it does come after the triple speed in five days which is fairly difficult (Fri, Sun, Tues). So we'll see.

Upped the Wednesday and Saturday evening runs up to 60 min. Also, bumped the Thursday ride up to 120 min.

-Did the following on Friday: [5x300m + 2x150m + 300m]

Alright, so my 400m PR is now 1:14 (4:57 min/mile), yet my best 300m rep average to date was 58.2s and 5:11 pace. The fastest 300m split to date was 57.8s (5:10 min/mile). So I felt like I had more to give on 300m reps and really took the mindset of attacking this workout. I wanted to make up for Tuesday's workout mentally as well as take a mentality of running with wreck-less abandonment rather than a conservative measured approach.

Splits were:
300m = 56.2, 54.1, 54.7, 55.3, 57.3, 57.0 (avg. = 56.2, 5:01 min/mile)
150m = 28.7, 27.3 (avg. = 28.0, 5:00 min/mile)

Now that's more like it. In fact, all 6 reps of 300m were faster than my fastest 300m rep from the previous 7 weeks. Clearly, the training is paying off and now that we're getting past the 6 week mark my body is starting to reflect the training that has been put in thus far. The fastest 300m rep (54.1s) was 4:50 min/mile pace and if it weren't for a few milliseconds I might have been able to get my average sub-5 for the first time at any distance. I'm liking where the R pace is right now, but would this workout be an overreach and not leave me well enough rested for Sunday's speed workout (the first of the training plan)?

-Did the following on Sunday: [5x450m + 4x150m]

Alright, no time to let up now. Put the foot into the pavement and fly. I got up reasonably early to do this one since summer seems to be creeping up on us ever so slowly. So I'd rather take 50s in the morning than 70s in the afternoon.

Splits were:
450m = 91.7, 87.9, 84.6, 86.0, 86.2 (avg. = 87.2, 5:11 min/mile)
150m = 29.1, 29.1, 28.9, 28.6 (avg. = 28.9, 5:09 min/mile)

My back has been acting up again ever since the last LIIFT4 workout. I've been able to manage it, but the Saturday/Sunday workouts haven't been the easiest to get started. Really trying to be diligent with the stretching and moves the PT showed me last year. The first rep felt really fluid and "easy". Ended up being too easy at 91.7s and 5:28 min/mile pace. So while it was slower than I wanted the first rep to be, I'll actually take it as a good sign that 91 seconds of 5:28 min/mile pace actually felt "easy". After that one, I really tried to be less conservative and attack. The 87.9 seconds was good, but I still felt like I could do more. Then I pulled off 84.6 seconds (5:01 min/mile) which is easily the fastest 450m rep thus far. Just think, on 3/24 my 3 reps of 450m were 97.6, 99.7, and 96.1 seconds as full on fastest possible reps. And now I've cut about 12 seconds of even the fastest rep from then. Astonishing! I finished off the workout with a solid 86.0 and 86.2 seconds, and then rounded everything off with the 150m reps. I matched my 400m PR (74s and 4:57 min/mile pace) in this workout.

Next week is the 3rd of the triple on Tues (1000m reps of 3k pace) and a 4x1 mile T pace workout which I'm going to attempt to get down to 6:09 pace again. Hoping for the best!

Week 8 of Mile Training + Some Cycling + Yoga Retreat

5/4/20 - M - OFF
5/5/20 - T - Yoga Retreat-Flow + [5x1000m at 3k pace] (Run)
5/6/20 - W - Gibbs (120 min; 82 TSS)
5/7/20 - R - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS) + 60 min @ Easy Run
5/8/20 - F - Yoga Retreat-Flow on the Go + [4 x 1mi at LT] (Run)
5/9/20 - Sa - Townsend-1 (90 min; 55 TSS) + 30 min @ Easy Run
5/10/20 - Su - 76 min at Comfortable (Run) + Yoga Retreat-Relax

Total Run Miles - 34.1 miles
Total Run Time - 4:57 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 165 TSS

Total Yoga Time - 1:22 hours
Total Yoga TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 10:50 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Highlights
-Week 8 of mile training. Did the following on Tuesday: [5x1000m at 3k pace]

Second I pace workout. The R pace suggested something around 5:42 min/mile I pace, but the first workout was 5:57 min/mile. Today was 1000m instead of 800m and the workout was done with reduced rest intervals. So my goal was 3:35-3:40 (5:45-5:53 min/mile range).

Splits were:
1000m = 3:35, 3:40, 3:46, 3:39, 3:44 (avg. = 3:40, 5:52 min/mile)

I really attacked the first interval because I knew my 1000m PR was 3:37. So selfishly, I kind of wanted to get that one nailed off on the first one. Got that one checked off and then went about the rest of the workout. I also got a 0.5 mi PR at 2:50 as well. I think I got complacent and unwilling to really push the effort in the later intervals. But at the end of the day, off a longer interval set with less rest, I was still able to reduce the pace per mile closer to where I wanted to be. The 5:52 min/mile average suggests a mile time of 5:24.

-Did the following on Thursday: [4 x 1mi at LT]

I decided to base the goal LT pace on the VO2max pace from Tuesday. So I was aiming for a 6:23 min/mile.

Splits were:
1 mile = 6:37, 6:31, 6:27, 6:22 (avg. = 6:29 min/mile)

It was a pretty windy run. The pace didn't feel smooth on the first one, but the effort did. So I just stuck with the effort. After each interval, I maintained effort and the pace kept falling. The HR stayed pretty much the same which adds further evidence that the effort was constant. It just took a bit to get me in the groove. I ran this route exactly where I plan to run my one mile time trial in a couple of weeks. While it wasn't spot on goal pace, I'm fine with it.

This week was an absolute struggle for my back and SI joint. I've been trying my hardest to get it realigned myself using the stretches my PT gave me about a year ago, but this is lingering longer than it has since the original occurrence last May. I think if it lasts much longer, then I'm going to schedule a PT visit again. It's really making running less enjoyable than it should be.

Week 8 of Mile Training + Some Cycling + Yoga Retreat

5/4/20 - M - OFF
5/5/20 - T - Yoga Retreat-Flow + [5x1000m at 3k pace] (Run)
5/6/20 - W - Gibbs (120 min; 82 TSS)
5/7/20 - R - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS) + 60 min @ Easy Run
5/8/20 - F - Yoga Retreat-Flow on the Go + [4 x 1mi at LT] (Run)
5/9/20 - Sa - Townsend-1 (90 min; 55 TSS) + 30 min @ Easy Run
5/10/20 - Su - 76 min at Comfortable (Run) + Yoga Retreat-Relax

Total Run Miles - 34.1 miles
Total Run Time - 4:57 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 165 TSS

Total Yoga Time - 1:22 hours
Total Yoga TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 10:50 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Highlights
-Week 8 of mile training. Did the following on Tuesday: [5x1000m at 3k pace]

Second I pace workout. The R pace suggested something around 5:42 min/mile I pace, but the first workout was 5:57 min/mile. Today was 1000m instead of 800m and the workout was done with reduced rest intervals. So my goal was 3:35-3:40 (5:45-5:53 min/mile range).

Splits were:
1000m = 3:35, 3:40, 3:46, 3:39, 3:44 (avg. = 3:40, 5:52 min/mile)

I really attacked the first interval because I knew my 1000m PR was 3:37. So selfishly, I kind of wanted to get that one nailed off on the first one. Got that one checked off and then went about the rest of the workout. I also got a 0.5 mi PR at 2:50 as well. I think I got complacent and unwilling to really push the effort in the later intervals. But at the end of the day, off a longer interval set with less rest, I was still able to reduce the pace per mile closer to where I wanted to be. The 5:52 min/mile average suggests a mile time of 5:24.

-Did the following on Thursday: [4 x 1mi at LT]

I decided to base the goal LT pace on the VO2max pace from Tuesday. So I was aiming for a 6:23 min/mile.

Splits were:
1 mile = 6:37, 6:31, 6:27, 6:22 (avg. = 6:29 min/mile)

It was a pretty windy run. The pace didn't feel smooth on the first one, but the effort did. So I just stuck with the effort. After each interval, I maintained effort and the pace kept falling. The HR stayed pretty much the same which adds further evidence that the effort was constant. It just took a bit to get me in the groove. I ran this route exactly where I plan to run my one mile time trial in a couple of weeks. While it wasn't spot on goal pace, I'm fine with it.

This week was an absolute struggle for my back and SI joint. I've been trying my hardest to get it realigned myself using the stretches my PT gave me about a year ago, but this is lingering longer than it has since the original occurrence last May. I think if it lasts much longer, then I'm going to schedule a PT visit again. It's really making running less enjoyable than it should be.
Sorry to hear about the SI joint :(

Thanks! It hasn’t inhibited my ability to run fast, but rather it just makes it uncomfortable to do so. But running fast actually feels slightly less worse than running slow. But if this is indeed the same thing as last year, then I know taking time off didn’t help. So just continuing to try and correct the issue while maintaining the training.

Thanks! It hasn’t inhibited my ability to run fast, but rather it just makes it uncomfortable to do so. But running fast actually feels slightly less worse than running slow. But if this is indeed the same thing as last year, then I know taking time off didn’t help. So just continuing to try and correct the issue while maintaining the training.

I noticed when I had rib issues that somehow running faster wasn't painful but I could barely limp around during WU/CD/easy pace. Maybe it was endorphins or my posture/gait was different based on pace.

Week 9 of Mile Training + Some Cycling + Yoga Retreat

5/11/20 - M - OFF
5/12/20 - T - Yoga Retreat-Take 30 + [6 x 3min at 3k pace w/ RI + 4 x 150m] (Run)
5/13/20 - W - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS) + 60 min @ Easy Run
5/14/20 - R - Gibbs (120 min; 82 TSS)
5/15/20 - F - Yoga Retreat-Core + [4 x 450m + 5 x 150m] (Run)
5/16/20 - Sa - [2 sets of (4 x 150m + 2 x 300m)] (Run) + Yoga Retreat-Stretch
5/17/20 - Su - Townsend-1 (90 min; 55 TSS) + 30 min @ Easy Run

Total Run Miles - 26.8 miles
Total Run Time - 4:21 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 162 TSS

Total Yoga Time - 1:32 hours
Total Yoga TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 10:23 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Highlights
-Week 9 of mile training. Did the following on Tuesday: [6 x 3min at 3k pace w/ RI + 4 x 150m]

Goal was 5:40-5:55 min/mile range.

Splits were:
3 min = 5:54, 5:42, 5:47, 5:52, 5:54, 6:01 (avg. = 5:51 min/mile) *GAP Splits
150m = 29.3, 30.0, 30.4, 28.0 (avg. = 29.4, 5:15 min/mile)

Daniels I pace workout with reduced rest. Oh yea, that sounds fun! Take literally the hardest endurance pace and reduce the time between reps. Yeesh! Game on! The first rep was really smooth and something I felt like I could have held for much longer. But the reduced rest really added up on me. Especially because the reduced rest forced me on a slightly modified route. I normally do these faster paced workouts on a loop with a small downhill and small uphill. But sometimes on a loop I do the down twice and the up once. But because of the reduced rest I was getting the uphill twice and the downhill once. So in post-run analysis I evaluated the GAP because of the double uphills, which is mostly obvious on the second interval. I'd say everything went as planned until the 6th interval. I got a side stitch in the 6th interval and instead of fighting through it, I shut it down. Finished with a 5:51 min/mile average which is the second fastest I paced workout average. Wrapped up the run with 4 x 150m.

-Did the following on Friday: [4 x 450m + 5 x 150m]

Hello SPRING! It's been relatively mild here this Spring, but this run was on one of the hottest yet. Since I'm on work at home duty, I did a rather poor job of drinking water throughout the day. I came to the realization late in the day that I probably didn't drink enough water and it was going to bite me.

Splits were:
450m = 86.3, 86.1, 86.9, 88.4 (avg. = 86.9s, 5:10 min/mile)
150m = 29.2, 27.5, 29.0, 28.8, 29.0 (avg. = 28.7, 5:07 min/mile)

Thankful on the first hot run for it to be an R day. Since the purpose of R is form and neurological, then it's advised to take as much time as needed as to not negatively impact the next one. The first rep felt really smooth again. Starting to notice a trend where the first rep feels really easy which is a good sign towards the mile time trial. Took plenty of rest between each interval and was pretty consistent on the splits. Finished with an average of 86.9s which was the second fastest to date. Wrapped up the workout with 150m reps. It took a TON of effort to get these done. The dehydration was really taking a toll on me. It was a rough post-run stretch.

-Did the following on Saturday: [2 sets of (4 x 150m + 2 x 300m)]

Had to make a tough decision about the Sunday Q workout. There was almost 2 inches of rain forecasted for Sunday, so there was almost no window for a fast hard R workout. Daniels says that back to back Q workouts are ok in Phase 4 when prepping for a race, so it seemed reasonable to do b2b in Phase 3. But I wasn't sure whether my body could handle workouts separated by a little more than 12 hours and dealing with SI joint issue. I decided to just go for it.

Splits were:
150m = 37.2, 36.0, 35.7, 34.1 (avg. = 35.7s, 6:22 min/mile)
300m = 61.2, 57.9 (avg. = 59.5, 5:18 min/mile)
150m = 27.6, 28.7, 27.2, 28.9 (avg. = 28.1s, 5:00 min/mile)
300m = 55.8, 56.5 (avg. = 56.1, 5:00 min/mile)

My body was INCREDIBLY stiff to start. My WU miles were 9:45-10:00 min/mile, not because I was tired, but because my back just didn't feel great. I tried to ease into each of the intervals. As things progressed, I got looser. The first set of 150m was slow and methodical. Then I tried to let loose on the 300m reps. It wasn't without it's tightness, but tolerable. Averaged a 5:18 min/mile. Then was better able to be more normal for the second set. The 150m and 300m both averaged a 5:00 min/mile. My body pretty much hated me after the intervals were done.

Overall a solid triple speedwork week. Still doing my best to manage the SI joint. I feel like I was making progress and then had some setbacks. I'm going to see how next week feels. I'm going to have to be extra diligent these next few weeks as the weather starts to change to warmer.

Hope your PT appointment went well!

It was good. The issue is apparently a little different than last year which is why the exercises weren't quite working. So I've got some new ones to try and then report back in a week.

Have you ever looked at this website? It's free and seems to have a lot of analytics (though you probably have it all already):

Haven't heard of it before but a lot of what they're taking about is very familiar. VO2max estimation, training load, race prediction, comparing performances over time, and others. Marathon shape is an interesting calculation that seems to be a combination of estimated VO2max, weekly distance over the last 6 months, and weekly long run distance. Can't remember the name of the author who wrote a paper very similar to that (Tasuda?). Seems like a cool website. The forum appears mostly German. I wonder if @DerTobi75 has heard of it?

Hi Billy. I have a nutrition question I thought others might benefit from as well, so I thought I'd ask here.

I've noticed, pretty much every marathon I've run (all 5 lol), I get a little lightheaded or nauseous after taking so many Gu gels. I take one every 4 miles or so, so for me, by about mile 16, I'm ready to puke. Then I don't take anything else in from then on, when I could probably benefit from one more hit of something to take me to the finish line. I think it's a sugar overload, and I want to try other options, maybe Maurten, but my training will never get above 13-14 miles on your plans so I can't really test whether another product solves the problem. Do you have any suggestions for how to solve this? Can I get a clue what will be better by looking at the ingredients? Is it possible I'm just fueling too often? One thing I have noticed, running all my marathons at Disney, is that I never prepare well for breakfast morning of the race and I just grab whatever sugar-bomb donut or pastry is immediately available at race start. I'd love to get a better handle on this. The good news is my next marathon is near home so I can eat whatever I want for breakfast and have everything just the way I like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!