to invite or not to invite, that is the question! opinions on inviting ppl on a Disney trip?

I am coming from a different prespective. Invite your mother. For the days you are there, have a talk before leaving as to expectations. If things start to turn, stop and let it go. Your child deserves the opportunity to vacation with her grandmother.

I'm talking from experience. We did this on one trip (PaPa not grandmother). Child love d closing down MK riding Dumbo with PaPa. So many good memories. Well a few weeks after PaPa died. Child's favorite memory - riding Dunno with PaPa. No one is guaranteed another day! Don't deny your child happy memories!!!

When my parent (or anyone else) expressed interest in coming and I wasn't overjoyed about them being with me right then and there then I would not invite them.
If I had to try to convince myself that "it might be good" to have them along then I'm just ignoring the truth that it really wouldn't be an enjoyable trip with that person.
Go and enjoy your trip with your daughter. There are other ways, like day trips or visits you can do with your mother. After doing those a few times maybe it will feel right to invite her along on a big trip with the two of you.

I am coming from a different prespective. Invite your mother. For the days you are there, have a talk before leaving as to expectations. If things start to turn, stop and let it go. Your child deserves the opportunity to vacation with her grandmother.

I'm talking from experience. We did this on one trip (PaPa not grandmother). Child love d closing down MK riding Dumbo with PaPa. So many good memories. Well a few weeks after PaPa died. Child's favorite memory - riding Dunno with PaPa. No one is guaranteed another day! Don't deny your child happy memories!!!

She won't be, she'll be making memories with her own child.

So traveling with family can be tough. I enjoy traveling with my husband and kids. When I start expanding that, it gets tricky. We took my brother last year because he'd never been and probably would not get another opportunity to go. Overall I'm glad we invited him, but I don't really have any plans to take him again. We get along MOSTLY in regular life, but he can be a little difficult.. ok A LOT difficult with certain personality issues and we did get into several arguments during the trip. Never again.

Wow, what a dilema you are in! I guess I am in the "don't ask her to go with you" camp. It sounds like a problem no matter what,, and kids do pick up on tension.
ROTR will be at disney for a long time. It might be that you have Mom watching your daughter while you are trying to get a boarding pass. That in itself sounds like it might get complicated. from what I read on here, sometimes you get a later one and have to wait for a text to go whenever. Sometimes you get an early one and have to wait in the park to get to it. So it seems like the riding ROTR will probably be a little, or a lot, longer than an hour? How would your Mom handle that?
You will be able to ride it someday without depending on a whole day or half a day of babysitting by your Mom, which I think is more the reality of the situation. Check out some of the reports on getting the BP and what people do.
I hope this works out for you!

We did 1 big extended family vacation, and I learned the hard way. Never ever again!! Not for the cost, experiences etc. Its a vacation we enjoy as a nuclear fam and I don't want it to get ruined.

I've invited my mother on all of our WDW trips, even though she and I can get into big fights sometimes. She's a Floridian now, and it's an easy way to knock out a trip to take the kids to see Grandma without having to drag them to her town. But, and this is a big but, she puts up with me bossing everyone around and planning the whole trip down to the minute detail, because she enjoys just showing up and cruising past the standby lines with all my perfectly-timed FP. I would never, ever, attempt WDW with my kids' other grandparents, who hate Disney because it's commercial, artificial, or what have you. It's too much money to have someone put the whole trip down. I even left DH behind on our last trip.

She won't be, she'll be making memories with her own child.

Yes! thank you! haha

at this point i am leaning way towards not having her go with even if we are just meeting for lunch each day.

I suspect that she might just book a trip the same days and say it is her own trip & that we don't have to see each other. LOL

WDW ramps up the stress for people who already don't get along, I would definitely take a pass. If you don't believe me, walk through Fantasyland at 3:00 on a busy day. It's like a meltdown contest.
oh yeah! i have witnessed it before!

i nearly saw a lady rip her husbands head off for spilling his drink in the kids stroller.

I am with the others that say, "no way". My mother and I could not get along because she was a miserable drunk who took her misery out on me. She never transitioned from seeing me as a 13 yo to an adult. We do not travel with extended family, ever. Problems and differences don't go away because you are in a different state. Go and have a fabulous time with your daughter.

My mom and I generally get along but we have our moments. I used to be able to travel with her but now that I am married with a kid it comes with additional stress. Last trip my mom was tired so she left the park early, apparently took the wrong bus, blamed me for it and didn't speak to me the rest of the trip. (literally, wouldn't even ride with us to the airport, go to any remaining reservations etc.) I would vote no, or at the very most, agree to her only being there for a few days of the trip.

I'm taking my toddler daughter to wdw & I could tell my mom wanted to meet us there/ get her own room/ take her own flights/ would agree to have days/ time apart.

I'm hesitant because
1- we just can't seem to get along even for an hour when hanging out in regular life
2- we are different kind of travelers and (see 1) we also haven't been able to get along travelling before.

I'm for it because:
I feel like I'd have a chance to ride rotr! it will be a while before my daughter is 40 inches & we only get to go every year.

Yes it's a selfish reason! Haha and she just wants to do anything involving my daughter. she'd be happy just having lunch with her daily (her words)

It's kinda a unique situation so any thoughts of traveling with family? I feel like it's all regrets from what i read lol

Honestly, this sounds like a recipe for a trip disaster. Especially since you: (1) can't get along with each other even for an hour; and (2) you're both very different types of travelers.

Are you REALLY willing to have a potentially miserable time just so you can go on ROTR? ROTR isn't going anywhere any time soon.

When you say that you could tell that your mom wants to go, what do you mean exactly? Did she communicate this directly to you? Or did she play some passive-aggressive game and drop a bunch of hints?

How old is your toddler? 2 or 3? How much time has your mom spent around your toddler when your child is tired and cranky? Does your mom respect your parenting decisions when she's around or does she undermine your authority? What sort of traveler is she? Is she physically able to keep up with an energetic toddler at a Disney theme park all day long? Can she handle walking up to 9-12 miles in a day? Does your mom expect you to read her mind or will she tell you when she wants to do something different than what you've planned?

All of these and more questions are what you need to consider.

2 years ago, we took my MIL with us to Disneyland. I will never again do that. We did ALL of the things that people recommended ahead of time. For example:
  • we had a couple of family meetings before the trip w/MIL.
  • we explained how things would go.
  • we told her to pick ONE thing that she wanted to do on the trip. Just one. And told her that we'd try to do that on the 1st day.
  • We told her that our family expectation is that once you get to do the ONE thing, then you have the attitude of "everything else is icing on the cake."
  • We told her to speak up when she got tired.
  • We told her that she could take breaks at the hotel when she got tired.
  • We told her to tell us ahead of time when she needed to stop and rest or eat a snack (she's diabetic).
  • We told her to rent a scooter and have it delivered to the hotel ahead of time (DH helped her arrange this beforehand).
The trip was hell. We learned that if your eye sight is bad enough that you can no longer drive a car, then you should not be driving a scooter (MIL plowed into several people, including driving over my ODD's foot, and then laughed about it). My MIL accidentally stole some other lady's scooter and then laughed about it. The other woman was in tears. MIL spent lots of money on herself, but not once did she even buy either of my kids an ice cream cone, let alone a souvenir. She complained that she didn't get enough time to shop (she never spoke up about it; turns out she wanted to spend an entire afternoon shopping and have us follow her around doing that, but she never said a word about it until we got home).

MIL is also very hard of hearing and refuses to get hearing aids. So we basically had to yell at her all of the time. Many times, she would nod as if she understood, but then she'd take off in the scooter at break neck speed in the wrong direction and 1 of us would have to sprint after her.

Her one goal was to eat lunch at the Blue Bayou. All OUR family could afford was for DH to eat there. So DH & MIL ate there by themselves while the kids & I had a wonderfully casual lunch at the French Market while listening to the Dixieland jazz band play. MIL didn't offer to treat us or anything.

We DROVE from AZ to Anaheim with MIL in our car with us. Not once did she offer to pay for part of the gas.

Every time she needed to use the restroom, it took 30 minutes.

She decided that she needed to bring a purse into the park with her that was big enough to fit a toddler. Every time we went through security, she forgot the routine & the procedure. Because she has a pace maker, she couldn't be wanded. This meant that they had to hand pat her down. MIL getting through security took 20 minutes every single time. It was so bad that by Day 2, YDD said, "Mama, we're 'THAT family,' aren't we?" LOL!

My kids didn't want to go on rides with her because she was such a huge pain in the neck. She'd talk through the ride, and would talk really loud so everybody else around her, including other park guests, could hear her. It was embarrassing. As a result, DH rode w/MIL on every ride. The kids rode together. And I rode every ride by myself.

My kids love their grandmother very much, but they said, "Mama, can we please not do that again with Gram?" And then on the long drive back home, what did my DH blurt out to his mom? "Do you want to go again next year?"

AAAHHHH!!! I told him privately that he's welcome to take his mom to DL again, but neither the kids or I will be joining him. He'll be doing it by himself.

And oh by the way, my sister-in-law told my DH (her brother) that she thought he was nuts for pitching the idea to MIL in the first place.

Honestly, it was like having to deal with a very needy preschooler for 3 consecutive park days. I had to think about the needs of my own kids, but also had to constantly check up on MIL and ask her all the time whether she was hungry, or thirsty, or oh here's a bathroom, do you need to use the bathroom, etc. My MIL has a LOT of health problems. On top of it, she is NOT the sort of person who will speak up when she needs something. She expects you to somehow auto-magically just KNOW that since it's 11:00 am and since she apparently eats lunch at 11 am every day, that she needs to eat something at that time every day.

But she won't say anything until an hour and a half later, when her blood sugar is starting to crash.

She has to be reminded to drink fluids because otherwise, she just won't. And then it goes downhill and she ends up with health issues from that. So both DH & I had to remind her to drink water all day long. And then we had to remind her to go to the bathroom.

And no, this isn't a woman who has dementia of any shape or form.

Leave your mom at home. IF you consider having her tag along in the future, wait a couple of years. Wait until your daughter is about age 6. And then go back to this thread and re-read it and reconsider.

I went with my in-laws, even with separate flights, separate rooms it was too much time together. Day 1 my MIL was melting down over something stupid my husband did or said (or she interpreted it as such), my 20 month old didn't do that until day 3.
And we get along normally in our regular lives...heck they CO-OWN our condo.

I wouldn't do it. Had gone on a trip with my parents and my family in 2016 and it was difficult trying to cater to everyone's needs. My family gets along fine but the trip can easily go awry if one person or more in the traveling party get tired or cranky. I think that it is just a recipe for stress and I would avoid it.

I wouldn't do it. Had gone on a trip with my parents and my family in 2016 and it was difficult trying to cater to everyone's needs. My family gets along fine but the trip can easily go awry if one person or more in the traveling party get tired or cranky. I think that it is just a recipe for stress and I would avoid it.

I find it difficult enough to cater to everyone’s needs when it’s just my family of 4.

Last trip I did a mother daughter trip and I loved it. I’m doing a mother son trip in March.

I really feel that the less ppl the better a Disney vacation turns out lol. Honestly it just made it more easy going when it’s less demands and wants. Picking rides and meals with only two tastes in mind. Picking what to do during “down time” is easier with only two opinions.

In my opinion, most GPs' hearts are in the right place but they just don't realize how taxing and tiring a Disney trip can be. Most GPs have a vision in their head of spending hours and hours with giggling, joyful grandchildren who are on their good behavior the whole time. But they don't realize how much walking they will really be doing. They don't take into account the Florida weather and how that might sap some of their energy. They don't realize that they'll want to spend every waking moment with the grandkids, but they forget that sometimes when little kids get overstimulated, they have melt downs.

And sometimes the GPs don't realize that they, themselves, will have melt downs, too. Some GPs will just keep quiet about what they want to do because they want to maximize as much as possible the time spent with their grandchildren. But they forget that maybe they're used to having a leisurely breakfast, followed by watching TV for a couple of hours before they leave the house, whereas on a trip like this, they'll need to be more flexible.

OR you'll TELL them "Ok here's the plan, blah blah blah." You'll be up front and communicate clearly with them. You'll give them an out and you'll tell them flat out that they do not have to spend every waking moment with you. But they'll say "Oh it'll be fine." And then at the end of day 1 or part way through day 2, they'll realize that you were right. They'll realize that they need more down time. But they won't say that because they want as much grandchild time as possible. Add onto that over-tired toddlers and you can see the recipe for disaster is about to boil over.

Fast forward a few hours later and 1 of the GPs snaps and has an adult hissy fit.

So let's say that you've decided to go the Pollyanna route and agree to have your mom go with you, even though the 2 of you can hardly stand each other's company for more than 60 min at a time. And then the inevitable happens and your mom has a temper tantrum. What do you do? How do you handle it?

You handle her EXACTLY like you'd deal with your toddler whenever your toddler has a temper tantrum. In my opinion, this means the following:
  1. You outwardly remain calm. Take a deep breath.
  2. You acknowledge to your mom that she's upset. "I can see that you're pretty upset right now."
  3. You tell her that she's on a time out right now for a few minutes. "DD & I are going to give you a time out right now. We're going to go step into this store/get an ice cream/go to the bathroom and we'll be back in 10 minutes."
  4. Then you walk away.
  5. When the grumpy adult toddler yells back at you, you remain calm once again and repeat back what you just said and then you continue walking away.
  6. When your toddler asks you why Grandma is so cranky and why is she throwing a hissy fit, give your DD a simple answer. Something like "Grandma is just a little over stimulated right now and needs a little time out to calm down. You know, sort of like at your preschool when you or one of your friends has a temper tantrum, you get a time out. Grandma just needs a few minutes to herself right now." I guarantee that your DD will understand.
I've done this with my MIL in front of my kids when my kids were younger and it totally worked. It was also effective because my kids got to learn that in OUR family, we don't tolerate ADULTS acting like grumpy hissy-fit-throwing toddlers either. They got to see that the rules apply to EVERYONE and that it is OK to establish boundaries with someone and to tell them what is not ok and to back up what you say with action.

Good luck in your decision making!

Mom and I are literally best friends & I brought her with and my toddler daughter in 2018. On day 3 of 6 we had a disagreement over the price of Disney diapers & she said I shouldn’t have brought her on a trip I couldn’t afford. Planning (& saving) again for 2023 and she’s dropping hints she wants to come along 😂
Goodluck with your decision!

I would suggest having her join you for part of the trip. Have some time w you and your daughter and a couple days w mom who can love touring w your kid. Some of the stress is gone cuz you had just you time and maybe some great mom memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter