To Ride Or Not To Ride?

briananddeb

Earning My Ears
A question for others who, like me, have motion sickness - concerning Avatar Flight of Passage. Is it too intense for someone who takes Dramamine Light just to be able to ride Space mountain? I can handle Soaring, Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain when Dramamined up but Star Tours is just too much. We're going to WDW in a month and have fastpasses for the Avatar ride but I'm seriously questioning if I should cancel mine, giving someone else a chance to ride. Just how intensely does that Banshee fly? Thanks for any advice.

Its SIMULATED to be very fast with a lot of sharp turns and quick drops. Of course the actual movements arent too much more than those in Soaring. I would say do it at least once. Its worth the temporary discomfort. Plus all you really have to do is close your eyes if you start to fell ill or dizzy.

I have motion sickness and chose mot to ride it this past trip. My daughter in law, who does not have motion sickness said I mad a good call. I have read of others who have successfully been on it. A girl I work with used sea bands and ginger (at my suggestion) and did ok. I have had too many ruined days to chance it, plus I had my granddaughters, and we went on Na'vi as 1 was too small to ride.

ETA: I have been on a few things I shouldn't have ridden (Harry Potter comes to mind) and I just focus on something like a bolt in the vehicle and I make it through. I would try it and probably will when the DGDs are older.

I can't handle Star Tours or Soarin - but I can handle FoP. BUT - that still means closing my eyes part of the time. I think FoP is easier for me because the banshee moves and breathes, the flight is predictable (so with big, fast swoops, I just shut my eyes for a moment), the wind, and the soundtrack - it all fits together for me. I also really focused on the path in front of me - and didn't really think about the wide landscape views expect when the flight pauses - then I would really look around. For me - it's not the movement - its the movement and the visual not seeming to really agree - that's why I think Star Tours is so rough on me. And unlike Soarin - my brain knows I'm not really up in the air - so there's zero fear of falling going on in my head. And well, Space Mountain is just too rough of a ride for me to handle anymore - I feel like someone beat me up afterwards - the problems of getting older!

But - yep - its risky for someone with motion sickness - definitely. But - if you are willing to close your eyes - I think you can keep the motion sickness away.

I have severe motion sickness! I got sick on the Disney cruise years ago and the boat had not even left the dock yet ! That being said - FOP doesn't bother me at all - ST - another story - makes me sick as a dog !

For me, FoP is less bad for my motion sickness than Star Tours. I actually rode FoP twice in a row (without getting off), which ended up being too much. Once was fine. There is also the fact that on FoP you can turn your head to the side and see the still room around you, which helped me a lot with not feeling sick. If you are someone who will possibly get sick and it will affect your whole day, I might skip it, but if it is just short lived stomach upset I would go for it.

You'll get lots of suggestions here but in the end you won't know if it will affect you unless you actually try it.

Star Tours does me in, but FoP is so much smoother, and I loved it! I did take Bonine each night of the trip just to keep it in my system so don't know if that helped - was going to try EE and nervous about the backwards part, but it broke down during our time for it. Was a little nervous about FoP but was so glad I tried it - more like Soarin on steroids for me - the only time I closed my eyes was when I felt like a quick corkscrew type move was coming. The rest is drops and turns, but very smooth with little pauses and air blowing. The feeling of flying is amazing and the scenery is beautiful. I would take your meds, and try it - can always close your eyes as others mentioned. It is a cool experience so hate for you to miss it if you feel like you might enjoy it!

I can’t do Space Mountain but FOP had no affect on me. I’m assuming it’s because my body isn’t actually moving.

I agree with the poster above....you need to try it to really know.

I had motion sickness in the car as a child, but not as an adult. No other rides bother me.
I was SO SICK on FOP from the first dive on. Closing my eyes didn’t work. I prayed I wasn’t going to vomit. Never again.

I think not also depends on what really bothers you. I can do coasters unless they corkscrew. I can’t do any simulators though. But that’s my type. I guess here are those who can do simulators but not motion rides. Soarin does not make me sick but I won’t do ST.

DH can’t do ST at all anymore but he did ok on FOP but just ok. He still felt a little sick but agreed with some other posters that the feeling of wind helped ease the motion sickness

I can’t do Star Tours or Mission Space (even the green side), but Soarin doesn’t bother me. I did fine on FoP. I wished I could have rode again!

My sister can handle Soarin, but gets sick on star tours, she did FOP with us, and was a little green. She said it wasn’t as bad as she thought it would be, but won’t ride it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts