To stroller or not to stroller

Just curious, what strollers hold kids that are 7 - 8 years old? My 8 year old DGD weighs about 55 or so pounds.

When we were looking for a double stroller for the 4 and 1 year old, mostly I saw weight limit of 50 pounds per child. Some were less than that.
We have a BOB duallie (double jogging stroller) in which I can still easily push my very tall 60+ lb DS7 and my 40+ lb DD. If you'll just have the one child riding, she should fit just fine in a single BOB stroller and it will still be easy to push. Though, keep the air in the tires up to the recommended PSI when you're pushing a heavier kid!

We don't have it anymore, so I don't remember specifically what it was. However, it was a double wide...one step up from an umbrella stroller. Our twins were pretty big for 8 years old...I don't remember how much they weighed then, but it was well over 55lbs each...probably 80lbs each or so. They were a bit squeezed at the shoulders, but they still fit fine. The hardest part is pushing when the stroller has small wheels. Perhaps buy a used jogging stroller, which has large wheels. Much easier to push.

The weight limit thing listed on the strollers is legal liability stuff. Reality is they'll hold a lot more than what's listed. Our stroller held easily 175lbs, between the kids and the food bag we strapped to the back of it, and it never had any trouble.

I think I remember you, you bring in food for the whole day???? That's planning. We go as far as drinks and a few snacks, like string cheese, fishes, and grapes.

We have a BOB duallie (double jogging stroller) in which I can still easily push my very tall 60+ lb DS7 and my 40+ lb DD. If you'll just have the one child riding, she should fit just fine in a single BOB stroller and it will still be easy to push. Though, keep the air in the tires up to the recommended PSI when you're pushing a heavier kid!

Shh don't tell my DGD, she'll be throwing her little sister out of the stroller. Mom already told her the weight limit is 50 lbs.

I'm done buying strollers. We have a single seat purchased 12 yrs ago for neighborhood walks with our first DGD and last yr purchased a sit and stand. That was bought for disney, but that also has been used for walks in the neighborhood.

Agreed! (Though, I am not as fit as your wife. Haha!) WDW is a giant, tiring place even for fit adults and the strain of walking is greater on kids than adults. As is the change in sleep, schedule, diet, etc. We're not out to prove anything about our kids' fitness level &/or their ability to power through tiredness without complaint. We're there to have fun. Strollers help us have more fun.

I guess - except you spend most of the time behind the kids, not actually interacting with them - how fun and memory making is that? I don't agree that the 'strain of walking' is greater on kids though - I believe it is the opposite. Kids have much better joints than adults. My 5 year old made it all day, day after day, without a stroller at WDW. I still question a kid's 'fitness' if they can't walk with a parent all day.

We don't have it anymore, so I don't remember specifically what it was. However, it was a double wide...one step up from an umbrella stroller. Our twins were pretty big for 8 years old...I don't remember how much they weighed then, but it was well over 55lbs each...probably 80lbs each or so. They were a bit squeezed at the shoulders, but they still fit fine. The hardest part is pushing when the stroller has small wheels. Perhaps buy a used jogging stroller, which has large wheels. Much easier to push.

The weight limit thing listed on the strollers is legal liability stuff. Reality is they'll hold a lot more than what's listed. Our stroller held easily 175lbs, between the kids and the food bag we strapped to the back of it, and it never had any trouble.

Pushing around 175 lbs all day? That's ridiculous, unless the kids are disabled, IMO.

I strongly discourage ignoring the posted weight limits on strollers. They are there for a reason. They are not built to withstand very high of weights and can be damaged when those weights are exceeded. Wheels can come off, fabric can split, the frame can bend or crack, and all of these possibilities could end with your child hurt.

I guess - except you spend most of the time behind the kids, not actually interacting with them - how fun and memory making is that? I don't agree that the 'strain of walking' is greater on kids though - I believe it is the opposite. Kids have much better joints than adults. My 5 year old made it all day, day after day, without a stroller at WDW. I still question a kid's 'fitness' if they can't walk with a parent all day.
You're right. We don't interact with our kids or make memories in Disney due to the stroller. :rotfl2:

Curious if you remember how far you walked each day?
Not this poster, but we walked 71 miles over 9 days... 7 park days, one Disney Springs day, one resort day. That averages 7.8 miles a day. I think our high was around 12 miles. My daughter was 5y3m and never complained.

Not this poster, but we walked 71 miles over 9 days... 7 park days, one Disney Springs day, one resort day. That averages 7.8 miles a day. I think our high was around 12 miles. My daughter was 5y3m and never complained.

:eek: I'm impressed. I know my 6 year old would probably complain. And the 3.5 year old...forget it. She'd be 70% complaint with that much walking.

:eek: I'm impressed. I know my 6 year old would probably complain. And the 3.5 year old...forget it. She'd be 70% complaint with that much walking.
I was impressed and surprised too. I think they were distracted and having fun and just never really thought about it. They often complain about the 3 block walk to the bagel place! I wouldn't go strollerless with a 3.5 year old- no way!

I don't get the judgmental folks on this board. Seriously, it's your vacation. If a stroller makes it better, why wouldn't you use one. Heck, if I thought someone would push it, there are times that I would hop in!!

I agree! Use a stroller if it makes your vacation better. Don't use one if it makes your vacation better. Do what you want with you own family, and let others do the same.

What honestly burns me is the attitude of some that not using a stroller somehow makes them better parents. Yeah, no. Not at all. A 5 year old is not a 5 year old is not a 5 year old. They can be very different. Do what works and keeps your family happy.

I wouldn't go strollerless with a 3.5 year old- no way!

That's the conundrum, we need to have a stroller for the 3.5 year old but simply having the stroller for her increases the likelihood of complaints from the 6 year old. "Why does she get to ride in the stroller" etc...If it was just the 6 year old, we might be able to get away strollerless.

Will be taking Grandsons 5 & 7 @trip time Easter '18 - great information - know 7 yr old will want to take "a turn" - single jogger sounds good

That's the conundrum, we need to have a stroller for the 3.5 year old but simply having the stroller for her increases the likelihood of complaints from the 6 year old. "Why does she get to ride in the stroller" etc...If it was just the 6 year old, we might be able to get away strollerless.
That was our exact reason for not getting one upfront for the 5 year old too. If she had it... he would want it! If we rented onsite (was our plan if needed) we would have gotten the double.

I am worried now about the weight limit. I planned to rent if my child gets tired but she is at least 50lbs and then we would hang a bag off the back.
Are the Disney strollers pretty sturdy?

We rented a City Elite from Kingdom strollers. It was $65 for the week and pick up/delivery was free to our resort hotel. Not only was it less expensive than park strollers, it was nicer and it could leave the park. That's when you want the stroller the most -- in the way back to the hotel.

50 lb kid plus bags, etc was completely balanced and easy to push.

Just curious, what strollers hold kids that are 7 - 8 years old? My 8 year old DGD weighs about 55 or so pounds.

When we were looking for a double stroller for the 4 and 1 year old, mostly I saw weight limit of 50 pounds per child. Some were less than that.

Baby Jogger makes a series of strollers and the City Mini GT and Elite would fit a child that weight. The question would be the child's height. My 7 year-old son weighs 56 pounds so he is within the weight limit of both of these. He is just barely within the height limit at 48.5 inches. I believe the height limit is 49 inches.

This is a personal thing. And a lot of factors go into the decision. The child’s personality (how they react when tired), length of the trip, your touring style (mainly how willing you are to adjust), etc. How much stuff you bring into the park can even be a factor because with no stroller, you’re carrying everything or renting a locker. We went last month. My son (now 7) had a stroller on our previous trips; but we had not been since he was 4. At 5 he only used a stroller at our state zoo which has a lot of hills. At 6, he did the zoo on foot. He is also an athlete. WDW is thankfully pretty flat. We were only going to have 4 park days and I changed our normal touring style and planned to do midday breaks so we went without one. I figured if it didn’t go well, I could still get one once we were there. But it would be a Disney one. I have declared myself done with lugging a stroller onto the bus. He did really well; but did confess once we were home that he wished I had brought one.

I think it was more the heat than the actual walking. That and the noise as he has some sensory challenges. He has headphones for that. But we took breaks within reason. If we got a drink for instance we sat. When we ate lunch we didn’t eat heavily and didn’t get right up on full stomachs. The only time I refused a break was when we sat for 30 minutes, then my 14 year-old requested another break 5 minutes later. Instead of just sitting doing nothing we went to a show we enjoy. And on the day I planned for us to see the MK fireworks, we stayed at the resort until around 3:30 and got to the park right at 4pm.

I think what I would do in your case especially since your spouse is against renting is see how it goes once you are there. Offsite folks will probably still have some and if not, you can rent one from Disney. Just note it is a price difference renting from Disney, the strollers aren't the most comfortable and they can't leave the park. If either of you have issue with carrying a sleeping child at the end of the day, that is something to think about depending on how he/she reacts if they are woken up after falling asleep on the bus.

I am worried now about the weight limit. I planned to rent if my child gets tired but she is at least 50lbs and then we would hang a bag off the back.
Are the Disney strollers pretty sturdy?

We've never rented them (just my opinion, but they're an incredible waste of money...they're ridiculously expensive), but yes they appear to be built like tanks. I've seen 150+lbs in them, many times. Besides, the "weight limit" is a liability thing for the manufacturer. Reality is they can hold a lot more. We had darn close to 175-200lbs in our umbrella style (not the cheapest Wal-Mart one, but one step up) double wide stroller many, many times. No issues.

We've never rented them (just my opinion, but they're an incredible waste of money...they're ridiculously expensive), but yes they appear to be built like tanks. I've seen 150+lbs in them, many times. Besides, the "weight limit" is a liability thing for the manufacturer. Reality is they can hold a lot more. We had darn close to 175-200lbs in our umbrella style (not the cheapest Wal-Mart one, but one step up) double wide stroller many, many times. No issues.
Thanks for the insight.
I agree the cost is stupid but we might not even need it. I dont want to push one around all day (and yes you can park it but then you have to walk back to it) so I don't want to rent from a weekly type.
I think just world showcase might be a long walk because it is also less interesting for her. But we will see.
I could also be the tired one and may rent a wheelchair instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!