Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Hightower Halloween Costume!

It appears even though English is my native language I am not well versed in English either!

:rotfl2:

Just finished reading through the whole trip. This totally puts Japan at the top of my list for must see place, especially Tokyo Disney! I've read your other trip reports too and think they're great, I hope you keep entertaining us all for a long time to come! :wizard:

Hey, thanks for the kind words! I'm so glad to hear you've enjoyed the reports, cuz I have about 3 of them going right now! :rotfl:

Really great trip report. Love that you guys went to the Ghibli museum.

Thanks! We were so glad we made the effort to see Ghibli. We should have watched all the movies *before* we went, though! :teeth:

I wanted to Thank you for this trip report. We will be moving there with the military this year. You really jazzed:yay: all of us to go and see not only TDL:woohoo: but to see other things.

Wow, how exciting to get to actually live there! What a wonderful experience for your family! :goodvibes

I am sorry if you answered this, I am going to Japan in October and I think it would take me longer to read though all of this than to just ask.

You talk about the magical guide book. What is mr. guidebooks name?

You talk about the smoking, can you explain this any better, how bad of a problem is this?

If you have 10 minutes to spare, just read the introduction—it's like a mini guidebook and answers all the basic questions most people have:

http://disneytravelbabble.com/trip-reports/tokyo-disney/tokyo-intro/

I'm not sure which guidebook I said was magical... I used The Rough Guide to Tokyo for that part of our trip. Oh wait—do you mean the Tokyo Disney guide book I'm editing? That one will be called PassPorter's Tokyo Disney, and it should be out in 5 or 6 months...

As to smoking, it's everywhere in Tokyo except the parks. Disney was the least smokey place we found, although the lobby of Hotel MiraCosta smells like an ashtray. I don't know how big a problem it will be for you b/c it depends on how sensitive you are to it. We HATE it. But there were occasions when we sat down in a smokey restaurant and decided to just grin and bear it rather than get up and leave and make a needless scene.

You wrote early on in the report that you would just sit and read your guidebook and it told you where the 100% chocolate place was, and it seems like you had it with you almost everywhere.

Your TR is the single most valuable piece of research for a Tokyo trip I want to plan for next year! Thanks so much for documenting everything :goodvibes:

You wrote early on in the report that you would just sit and read your guidebook and it told you where the 100% chocolate place was, and it seems like you had it with you almost everywhere.

Ah, yes! That was the Rough Guide. Great resource! :thumbsup2

Your TR is the single most valuable piece of research for a Tokyo trip I want to plan for next year! Thanks so much for documenting everything :goodvibes:

No problem! I'm so glad you've found it helpful! :goodvibes I've pulled out all the planning info from the first post and augmented it to make mini travel guide to Tokyo Disney, here: http://disneytravelbabble.com/trip-reports/tokyo-disney/tokyo-intro/

wow wow wow!!!!! This just may be the BEST trip report EVER!!! :worship::worship::worship:It's taken me nearly a week and a lot of neglected house chores, but has been so totally worth it.
My wonderful DH had proposed a trip to Japan as a 35th anniversary present. It's been a dream of mine since I was a young girl (WAY in the dark distant past-or "the olden days" as my children call it):). I've been busy researching the trip ever since.
Being the Disneyholic that I am, it wasn't long before I realized I would have to start the softening up process on hubby re: a stop at Tokyo Disney. Now DH is a wonderful guy, but is not the biggest Disney fan. With a wife and 2 daughters who are huge fans, he is just content to go with the flow, as long as we don't make him go more than once every couple of years.
Anyway, long story short (too late?) I uttered the famous "but Honey, when will we ever get the chance to do this again?" And he caved.:cool1:
We thought to tack the visit onto the end of the trip. Your TR helped us opt for a day at DisneySea. I know it will be frantic busy, but what a way to end the trip of a life time!:dance3: And this will be our 4th park (visited DLP twice while living in Germany)
Unfortunately, with the events in Japan this week, we have had to postpone everything. We're going to wait a year and go in the fall of 2012. Our prayers go out to all of the people of Japan[/SIZE]
Again, thank you so much for your fabulous TR. Can't wait to get my hands on that new Passporter.

This was so great to read! DH was stationed in Okinawa for 3 years, so we went to Tokyo Disney and DisneySea for our 1 year anniversary and had a blast! I still have our popcorn bucket-which is now holding random whosits and whatsits :)

This is also where we discovered the secret lives of some beloved Disney characters. In Japan, Mickey and Minnie are MARRIED!

DSC00688.jpg

I have that puzzle in a frame in my apartment! Japanese are really big at building puzzles and framing them. We have 7 Disney puzzles that we built to hang in our apt :)

Hi Carrie! ~ Coming out of my cushy lair of lurkdom to say thank you *Sanity*. When I read your response on page 30 of this thread to someone's questioning Disney not running the Tokyo parks, I started talking to my computer screen and being thankful that my office mate is home today!

You said:

Greetings, former lurker! I'm so excited that you've been convinced to go to TDR. As ChrisFL explained, it's actually a *good* thing that Disney doesn't manage the Japan parks and it's the reason they are so much better (in many respects) than the other parks around the world.

What I don't understand is how Disney can see the example set by OLC—the pristine parks with constantly updated and enhanced attractions and the hordes of people paying top dollar to see them—and not try to emulate it. If ever there was a classic case of the adage "you have to spend money to make money," this is it! Yet Disney seems to think they need nothing more than a borrowed parade and a recycled fireworks show to compete with the new Harry Potter land at Universal? And they let Future World languish as a hodgepodge of empty buildings with a few character-based patches applied because people still seem to like World Showcase?

I couldn't agree more! As both a Disney stockholder and a Disney patron I feel confused about decisions Disney makes? Heck, in any given attraction que, my 8 year old and I can discuss multiple theming / attraction missed opportunities in WDW, not the LEAST of which now will be why we don't have those super Kawaii awesome popcorn buckets you've shown here!

So thanks, and may someone with some pull and half a brain figure this out one day.

I do have one question: In one of your tr's Patrick is wearing a Disneyland hoodie (blue I believe) that simply has the stylized Disneyland monogram across the chest. Very classic....very retro....very needing to be in my closet! Is it vintage or can I find it through some Disney merchandise sleuthing?

Back to the lurkerlair!

Donna

Lurkyloo, you have a beautiful writing style as it is a reflection of your personality.:lovestruc I have been to Tokyo Disney parks 3 times, and believe that Tokyo Disney Sea is a "Must See" for every Disney fan. As I read your trip report and viewed the photo's, I felt as if I have visited the parks again. You found some spots that I had never seen in my visits but will sure to be looking for the next time I go.
Thank you for including us on your wonderful holiday, and for the memories. :cheer2:

PS... Tell Patrick that "He is a very lucky man." ;)

DSCN3674-1.jpg

wow wow wow!!!!! This just may be the BEST trip report EVER!!! :worship::worship::worship:It's taken me nearly a week and a lot of neglected house chores, but has been so totally worth it.
My wonderful DH had proposed a trip to Japan as a 35th anniversary present. It's been a dream of mine since I was a young girl (WAY in the dark distant past-or "the olden days" as my children call it):). I've been busy researching the trip ever since.
Being the Disneyholic that I am, it wasn't long before I realized I would have to start the softening up process on hubby re: a stop at Tokyo Disney. Now DH is a wonderful guy, but is not the biggest Disney fan. With a wife and 2 daughters who are huge fans, he is just content to go with the flow, as long as we don't make him go more than once every couple of years.
Anyway, long story short (too late?) I uttered the famous "but Honey, when will we ever get the chance to do this again?" And he caved.:cool1:
We thought to tack the visit onto the end of the trip. Your TR helped us opt for a day at DisneySea. I know it will be frantic busy, but what a way to end the trip of a life time!:dance3: And this will be our 4th park (visited DLP twice while living in Germany)
Unfortunately, with the events in Japan this week, we have had to postpone everything. We're going to wait a year and go in the fall of 2012. Our prayers go out to all of the people of Japan[/SIZE]
Again, thank you so much for your fabulous TR. Can't wait to get my hands on that new Passporter.

Oh I'm so glad you'll still be able to go. It has been amazing to see the response of the Cast Members and OLC during the disaster, and I'm sure things will be back in top form when you go next fall. Thanks for your kind comments! :goodvibes

This was so great to read! DH was stationed in Okinawa for 3 years, so we went to Tokyo Disney and DisneySea for our 1 year anniversary and had a blast! I still have our popcorn bucket-which is now holding random whosits and whatsits :)

What a great anniversary present! OK, good tip about the popcorn bucket—I still don't know what to do with ours. Random whosits and whatsits... interesting... :teeth:

I have that puzzle in a frame in my apartment! Japanese are really big at building puzzles and framing them. We have 7 Disney puzzles that we built to hang in our apt :)

Fabulous! What a fun activity-turned-art piece! :thumbsup2

Hi Carrie! ~ Coming out of my cushy lair of lurkdom to say thank you *Sanity*. When I read your response on page 30 of this thread to someone's questioning Disney not running the Tokyo parks, I started talking to my computer screen and being thankful that my office mate is home today!

I couldn't agree more! As both a Disney stockholder and a Disney patron I feel confused about decisions Disney makes? Heck, in any given attraction que, my 8 year old and I can discuss multiple theming / attraction missed opportunities in WDW, not the LEAST of which now will be why we don't have those super Kawaii awesome popcorn buckets you've shown here!

So thanks, and may someone with some pull and half a brain figure this out one day.

I do have one question: In one of your tr's Patrick is wearing a Disneyland hoodie (blue I believe) that simply has the stylized Disneyland monogram across the chest. Very classic....very retro....very needing to be in my closet! Is it vintage or can I find it through some Disney merchandise sleuthing?

Hi Donna! I love the "lurkerlair"—thanks for stepping out of it momentarily! :rotfl2: That sweatshirt was sold at Disneyland around the time of the 50th anniversary. I wish we had bought two, because it is now practically threadbare. :( Every time we go to D-land—EVERY time—I look for another one that's as cool, and we are continually disappointed. They seem to be doing this vaguely Ed Hardy thing now where they'll have the classic logo but then put all this other printing and decoration and crap all over the sweatshirt—sooooo ugly!

Maybe try eBay? Also, I'll try to remember to let you know if we ever do discover something similar! :thumbsup2

Lurkyloo, you have a beautiful writing style as it is a reflection of your personality.:lovestruc I have been to Tokyo Disney parks 3 times, and believe that Tokyo Disney Sea is a "Must See" for every Disney fan. As I read your trip report and viewed the photo's, I felt as if I have visited the parks again. You found some spots that I had never seen in my visits but will sure to be looking for the next time I go.
Thank you for including us on your wonderful holiday, and for the memories. :cheer2:

PS... Tell Patrick that "He is a very lucky man." ;)

Hi there! Thanks for the pic and the kind words! I'm so glad to know you've enjoyed this report even though you're already a Tokyo Disney pro. I wish that more Western Disney fans could experience Tokyo Disney as we have! :)

I just got done reading this TR. Goodness gracious you took a lot of pictures! My husband is stationed in South Korea right now, and Tokyo Disney is on the top of my list of places to go before we head back to the states. I was most interested in the Disney stuff, but some of the Tokyo stuff really made me rethink spending more time in Tokyo outside of Disney. My original plan was to spend have the time at Disney and the other half in Kyoto, but who knows what we'll end up doing now. The 100% Chocolate Cafe sounds lovely.

Anyways, thanks for documenting your trip!

Clicked on the link to this TR when I saw it on the cake thread and boy am I glad I did? I just finished your trip to the zoo. Funny, informative, inspirational and motivational. Can't wait to read more.

Here is a link to some of the photo's I've taken at the Tokyo Parks. I hope you don't mind that I put in a link to your Trip Report.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1765752

Thanks for the link!

I just got done reading this TR. Goodness gracious you took a lot of pictures! My husband is stationed in South Korea right now, and Tokyo Disney is on the top of my list of places to go before we head back to the states. I was most interested in the Disney stuff, but some of the Tokyo stuff really made me rethink spending more time in Tokyo outside of Disney. My original plan was to spend have the time at Disney and the other half in Kyoto, but who knows what we'll end up doing now. The 100% Chocolate Cafe sounds lovely.

Anyways, thanks for documenting your trip!

How fun to be living abroad! You'll have a blast in Japan no matter what you do—I mean, the toilets alone provide hours of entertainment! :rotfl: I'd be interested to hear how your trip goes.

Clicked on the link to this TR when I saw it on the cake thread and boy am I glad I did? I just finished your trip to the zoo. Funny, informative, inspirational and motivational. Can't wait to read more.

Yay! So glad you're enjoying it! It's definitely a time investment, but it's great for shut-ins and those with boring desk jobs. :teeth:

I just came across your trip report, I see it was quite awhile ago. Reading it is bittersweet for me. I lived in Japan for 7 years, until 2007, and my daughter was born there. I made many trips to both Disney and Disney sea, Tokyo Disney was actually the first Disney park I ever went to. I miss Japan desperately and my ultimate goal is to move back one day. I am only on page four but look forward to reading the rest. You give such amazing details and the pictures take me right back! Off to read more..

I feel like I can almost identify—I was desperate to move back to London after living there during college, but that was only 6 months. What a wonderful 7 years you must've had! And to think Tokyo Disney was your first Disney park! I'd be curious to know if you were disappointed when you saw any of the US parks (though I know a lot of the cast members we spoke to at Tokyo Disney said they preferred Walt Disney World, so I guess it's all perspective).

Thanks for reading!

I'd be curious to know if you were disappointed when you saw any of the US parks
Thanks for reading!

I went from Tokyo Disney to Disney World (haven't made it to the west coast yet) and they kind of seem too different to compare. I'm more interested in the other parks at Disney World besides MK and I think that's because it's so similar to the Tokyo one (or vice versa). I wish there was something similar to DisneySea as it was my fav, and still is. From what I've read about the impending Avatar section of AK, it seems it's going to be very similar to DisneySea's concept.

I always felt DisneySea was extra 'special' because it's the only Disney park of it's kind in the world (so far).

I went from Tokyo Disney to Disney World (haven't made it to the west coast yet) and they kind of seem too different to compare. I'm more interested in the other parks at Disney World besides MK and I think that's because it's so similar to the Tokyo one (or vice versa). I wish there was something similar to DisneySea as it was my fav, and still is. From what I've read about the impending Avatar section of AK, it seems it's going to be very similar to DisneySea's concept.

I always felt DisneySea was extra 'special' because it's the only Disney park of it's kind in the world (so far).

Yep, DisneySea and Epcot are my 2 favorite parks, and the 2 most unique parks.

Exactly! :thumbsup2

Awww...seeing this thread pop up on my User CP makes me really miss your TR's. popcorn::

Now, you've seen all these trip reports, right...? ;) http://disneytravelbabble.com/trip-reports/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter