Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea -Best Parks?

TuneTownMagic

DIS Veteran
I have heard that these parks are incredible...and I, as a person who have been a loyal Walt Disney World visitor throughout my life, have always wondered how the Tokyo parks compare to WDW and Disneyland in CA. From photos I have seen, the architecture looks really interesting and the rides/attractions sound so unique. It looks like there are tons of restaurants and stores too...just so much to explore. I just wanted to get the opinions of fellow Disers who have been to parks in the U.S. and abroad on how great they really are? I hope one day I'll have a chance to see firsthand. :yay: .

Also, I saw a video of the Monster's Inc. Ride and Go Seek attraction, and the animatronics speak Japanese (I think, possible some other language)...are there English speaking versions of any of the rides? (Not that I expect that, just curious).

I've been to every Disney resort except for Paris within the past 8 years.

With a few minor exceptions, yes, the Tokyo Disney Resort is the best resort on Earth.

The parks are meticulously maintained, they have, in general, higher quality versions of attractions we have in the U.S.

Tokyo Disneyland is the largest Disneyland park in the world, and has a lot of attractions, great food, and the fellow guests are typically all very well behaved.

Tokyo DisneySea is the crown jewel of theme parks anywhere, it's far above and beyond any others. It was basically a "spared no expense" project.

As far as attractions, most shows will have an english translator you can use, but the rides are mostly in Japanese...still I don't think it takes away the storyline for most.

I only have Disneyland as a comparison because I've never been to WDW, but I agree. Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea absolutely blow DL out of the water. DisneySea is just amazing and must be seen. While almost all shows and rides are in Japanese, I didn't find this to detract from my enjoyment of them; most Disney themes are so universal that you can follow along even if you don't speak the language.

Thank you everyone for the insight!! It all just makes me even more excited to see it someday! It sounds spectacular. :goodvibes

Agree with Tokyo Disney Sea as the crown jewel of Disney parks-gorgeous!!! We loved Tokyo Disney for its superior customer service and friendliness. The Japanese spiel on Jungle Cruise was hilarious, and we didn't even know what he was saying!!

Absolutely second the comments on the Monsters Inc ride - far superior to Disneyland.

And while I'm not really a Pooh fan, Pooh's Hunny Hunt ride is so unique, its almost worth the cost of the flight alone - but make sure you get your fast pass EARLY... its a truly amazing ride.

Hope you make it there, its definitely worth it.

TDS is phenomenal, and maybe nothing like it will ever be built again. The money the Overseas Land Corporation spent on that park is outrageous. The whole place is mind-blowing in how far the themeing goes.

TDL is about the same as the other versions in the US, with DL being the best. But they are close enough in quality to not make it a huge deal.

TDS is phenomenal, and maybe nothing like it will ever be built again. The money the Overseas Land Corporation spent on that park is outrageous. The whole place is mind-blowing in how far the themeing goes. TDL is about the same as the other versions in the US, with DL being the best. But they are close enough in quality to not make it a huge deal.

This :)

TDS blew my mind! The volcano is truly spectacular, as are the lines at the food stands! Ha. The line for one type of bun and the tarot churros were longer than most boat rides at WDW. But the rides and attention to detail were well worth it.

When we bought our tickets we had to designate what day we were going because it is not uncommon for the park to sell out. The woman at the disney store pointed out the days to us that were already full and the ones getting close.

I have heard that these parks are incredible...and I, as a person who have been a loyal Walt Disney World visitor throughout my life, have always wondered how the Tokyo parks compare to WDW and Disneyland in CA. From photos I have seen, the architecture looks really interesting and the rides/attractions sound so unique. It looks like there are tons of restaurants and stores too...just so much to explore. I just wanted to get the opinions of fellow Disers who have been to parks in the U.S. and abroad on how great they really are? I hope one day I'll have a chance to see firsthand. :yay: .

Also, I saw a video of the Monster's Inc. Ride and Go Seek attraction, and the animatronics speak Japanese (I think, possible some other language)...are there English speaking versions of any of the rides? (Not that I expect that, just curious).

The parks are very different and also similar. Tokyo Disney Sea is like nothing you've ever seen (the detail and beauty of it is astounding) but it does have some attractions found at WDW such as Toy Story Mania (an exact copy of the ride but in a much more beautiful ride building), Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull (which is the same as the Disneyland version if you've been on that but in a much better ride building) and the Tower of Terror (which is themed differently but still essentially the same as the Californian version of the ride (it doesn't have the fourth dimension room). Over at Tokyo Disneyland many of the rides are copies (except for Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek both of which are amazing rides that keep you wanting more!) but they all seem smooth and simple better maintained. Tokyo Disneyland is a weird mish-mash of the familiar and unfamiliar. Parts of it look like Disneyland, other parts like the Magic Kingdom and World Bazaar looks nothing like anything really! The paths are wider and sometimes the landscape is a little less beautiful (Fantasyland is a particular example) but everything is grander and bigger.

If you can one day make a trip it's well worth it. Japan itself is a wonderful place to visit. We just got back from a trip in November where we spent 3 days in Tokyo and 4 at the resort and I wish I'd had more time in Tokyo and surrounds to explore. If you are interested in pictures of the resort I've written a trip report that can be found here

Sorry for the late response everybody! :flower3: I really appreciate all of the feedback and information on Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Seas! It truly does sound spectacular, and all of your descriptions give me a better idea of what to expect and how these parks differ from ones in the U.S.

Thank you for sharing your trip report RachelleBeaney, I will be sure to take a look. I have also thought Tokyo and Japan in general would be incredible destinations to see one day. The culture seems fascinating! Well, a girl can dream! My Dsis and I do hope to see all the parks around the world somehow.

AThrillingChase, I never knew about the possibility of the park selling out, that is interesting to know.

The Hunny ride sounds SO awesome! I took a look at the Ride and Go Seek attraction on a video posted online...maybe I should not have as it kind of takes away from the anticipation and surprise of it! But still, it sounds fantastic to see in person.

Thanks again everyone for your helpful feedback on these parks. It makes me even more excited to see them someday!

Tokyo DisneySea is one of the best in terms of detail in my opinion. There's lots of different places to explore with lots of hidden Mickey's around which I wonder if placed there intentionally or not sometimes. The food is awesome as well, especially the black pepper pork ribs pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter