Tokyo Questions

Jose Calvo

Earning My Ears
Hello I'm planning a trip to Tokyo for early next year and Im looking at the Disney hotels but the max days it lets me book is 5 nights. Is that the max number of days you could stay in the hotel? What other hotels will you recommend to stay out in japan?

Thank you.

Hello I'm planning a trip to Tokyo for early next year and Im looking at the Disney hotels but the max days it lets me book is 5 nights. Is that the max number of days you could stay in the hotel? What other hotels will you recommend to stay out in japan?

Thank you.

Personally, I couldn't take 5 days in Tokyo Disney, but that's me. I really enjoyed the parks but the hotel was disappointing.

Where you want to stay depends on what you want to do. Tokyo Disney is not particularly convenient to Tokyo itself because at the very least (from the Ambassador) you're talking taking a train from Maihama to Tokyo station. I like Tokyo Station, but most people visiting Tokyo want to do something other than visit the station and its environs. The Keiyo line is not a particularly convenient transfer line. It's closest to the shinkansen lines vs. the Yamanote, Chuo or Yokosuka, which tend to be the ones people use for sightseeing in Tokyo when they use JR. (and I think it's a hike even to the shinkansen...)

So if you're only planning to visit Tokyo Disney and Tokyo itself.... I love the Tokyo Station Hotel as a luxury hotel. For a more "moderate" hotel, I also liked the Royal Park Shiodome. A good friend loved the Conrad, also in Shiodome. A lot of people like the Shinjuku area, I personally don't so can't recommend a hotel there. There are lots of luxury hotels in Tokyo though.

If you're traveling outside of Tokyo to other Japanese cities, I loved staying in Kyoto.

Personally, I couldn't take 5 days in Tokyo Disney, but that's me. I really enjoyed the parks but the hotel was disappointing.

Where you want to stay depends on what you want to do. Tokyo Disney is not particularly convenient to Tokyo itself because at the very least (from the Ambassador) you're talking taking a train from Maihama to Tokyo station. I like Tokyo Station, but most people visiting Tokyo want to do something other than visit the station and its environs. The Keiyo line is not a particularly convenient transfer line. It's closest to the shinkansen lines vs. the Yamanote, Chuo or Yokosuka, which tend to be the ones people use for sightseeing in Tokyo when they use JR. (and I think it's a hike even to the shinkansen...)

So if you're only planning to visit Tokyo Disney and Tokyo itself.... I love the Tokyo Station Hotel as a luxury hotel. For a more "moderate" hotel, I also liked the Royal Park Shiodome. A good friend loved the Conrad, also in Shiodome. A lot of people like the Shinjuku area, I personally don't so can't recommend a hotel there. There are lots of luxury hotels in Tokyo though.

If you're traveling outside of Tokyo to other Japanese cities, I loved staying in Kyoto.

well we plan on going to Disney 2 days only and do other activities the other days. So i dont want to stay far from the park.

You can either do a split stay (one hotel near Disney, another hotel for when you are visiting only Tokyo) or find a hotel that is in a 'fairly' convenient location for both. I've been twice, and I found the neighboring hotels far too expensive, so both times we stayed in a hotel that was a compromise between the two. The farther in advance you plan, the better your choices will be.

You can either do a split stay (one hotel near Disney, another hotel for when you are visiting only Tokyo) or find a hotel that is in a 'fairly' convenient location for both. I've been twice, and I found the neighboring hotels far too expensive, so both times we stayed in a hotel that was a compromise between the two. The farther in advance you plan, the better your choices will be.

do you remember what hotel you stayed in?

Once we stayed at a hotel that was also convenient to Haneda airport. We were catching a very early morning plane, otherwise we would have chosen a different location.

Another time we stayed at a hotel that has since changed names. It used to be the Hotel Park Lane Nishikasai. It has a subway stop that got us into Tokyo quickly, and it also had its own shuttle bus to Disney. It is now the Best Western Nishikasai, and you'd have to see if it still has a Disney shuttle. A great thing about Nishikasai is that it is one subway stop from Kasai, which is an Airport Limo Bus Stop. it worked out well for us, and it was much less expensive than the neighbor hotels. But we did not plan far in advance. If you book well in advance then you might find even better choices. What week(s) do you think you'll be there?

well we plan on going to Disney 2 days only and do other activities the other days. So i dont want to stay far from the park.

As PP mentioned, I would switch hotels, which was what I meant in my earlier post, but I'm afraid was unclear. I still have quite a bit of jet lag. Where I would switch hotels to, would be somewhat dependent on where I planned to visit and what I wanted to do.

I want to stress now, outside of food, we did enjoy both parks and so I suspect they will be part of the rotation for the 2018 Japan trip, (vs. Universal, which had better food but got dropped from 2016 to 2017) in which case we will probably:

Do our first night in Japan at the Tokyo Station Hotel, since it has much better beds and is above Tokyo Station and will meet us at the NEX to take our bags. Have them hold our big suitcase, and do the next night at the Tokyo Disneyland hotel, because the location is *PERFECT* and the 15 minute early entry was more helpful than I ever could have imagined. If we were feeling alert I would get some sort of pass the day we arrive. The next day we would do early entry to one park, unsure which, prob DL because overall we liked the rides better there, if it was super rainy again, maybe Sea with the park hopper ticket for an afternoon at DL and would then go back to the Tokyo Station hotel for night #3. Would then go to the park we were still missing and commute from the Station hotel. Would then stay at the Station Hotel for other JR East sightseeing, dependent on where we wanted to go. I'm hoping next trip we can fly into Tokyo and out from KIX so we won't need to back track.

I want to stress we liked the parks. DD liked Splash Mountain better in TDR and Pooh's Hunny Hunt is no comparison to the US Poohs. The Happiness on High parade was quite possibly the best Disney parade I've ever seen and super long. I just thought for a luxury Hotel, Tokyo Disneyland Hotel was extremely disappointing. I thought the service was disappointing. I though the beds were extremely uncomfortable and the bathroom, while huge, looked dated. The free toiletries appeared the lowest quality of any of the hotels we visited. The room was bigger and the 15 minute early entry was great, but for the same price I thought the Tokyo Station Hotel was far superior. (Also way better breakfast buffet. >>; ) I read some review claiming the Tokyo Disney hotels were the best Disney Luxury hotels and I just didn't find it so. I preferred the DL Hotel in CA (Haven't tried the Grand Cali yet) and the Grand in FL, particularly the VGF Villas which are top notch. Location wise, Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and I assume MiraCosta can't be beat for convenience. It made the walk from the Beach Club to the International Gateway look long.

Again, it's all about cost and how many of you are traveling together. I usually travel as 1 adult and 1 child, so the huge amount of space of the TDR room was unnecessary, though if I have my big suitcase I find many business hotels cramped.

Last edited:

I would consider booking the Dormy Inn Hatchobori. It is right on the Keiyo line (same line as Disney), about a 5-minute walk to the Hatchobori Station. The Hatchobori subway line also has excellent connections to the rest of Tokyo. It should be a good budget choice. There is convenience store two blocks away and quite a few restaurants within an easy walk. I have not stayed there, but overall I'd say it is a very good location for visiting both Disney and Tokyo.

I see that Pearl Hotel Kasai advertises a free Disney shuttle. That is right near where the Airport Limo Bus stops at the Kasai station. Active neighborhood with supermarket and drug store.

I was fortunate enough to get a business trip to Tokyo, and I took an extra day to do Tokyo Disneyland and Sea-- super worth it, even going solo. For the night before and night of, I stayed at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay, which had fairly reasonable rates-- about $130/night, and it's right across the street from the monorail that goes to both parks (+ Ikspiari, the Downtown Disney/Disney Springs equivalent which is also right next to Maihama Station).

I definitely was glad I stayed close so I could line up for the park early and get as full a day in as possible...but I am equally as glad I didn't try to stay there the whole trip as getting to basically anywhere else was a hassle. I got there earlier on Thursday than expected so I did a jaunt over to Akihabara, but it took a little under an hour and by the time I got there I only had about an hour before the shops started to close. ;)

So, I'd definitely recommend either staying only your Disney days at a hotel in proximity to Disney and then moving to a hotel that's more central to the other activities you plan to do, OR if you want to stay in just one hotel for the whole trip, maybe make it close to Tokyo Station so you can get to Disney with no line-hops (and probably your other destinations as well). I don't know what kind of pricing that might be, though; my business was out towards Minato and we stayed close to Tokyo Tower/Shibakouen.

Have a great time! I was really impressed with the Tokyo parks and can't wait to go back with DH in the (hopefully not-too-distant) future.

We just stayed at the Hilton Toky Bay and at the New Otani Garden Tower in Tokyo. Both hotels were excellent and I can highly recommend them.

The Hilton was extermely convenient for Tokyo Disney. However, being out there in Maihama is not good for touring Tokyo as others have said. We did this as we just did not want to switch hotels too often and we were also meeting up with friends who live in that area.

We got a great rate for the New Otani through agoda. For us having a spacious room was important and the New Otani room was very nice and large. We also felt that the hotel was fairly centrally located with a lot of different subway lines all around.

Switch hotels. Otherwise, you'll be adding a lot of train time to your non-Disney days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!