Tolls from WDW to Tampa

tidblgrrer

Mouseketeer
After our WDW stay we are going to Tampa. We have a rental car but I don't know what the best way to handle the tolls. Thanks

No tolls on I-4 between WDW and Tampa. There are some tolls roads in the Tampa area, but many ways around the area to avoid those tolls.

If you are flying into MCO, you can sign up for the Visitor Toll Pass (LINK) from the Central FL Expressway Authority. This toll pass will work on all toll roads and most toll bridges in Florida and charges you the electronic toll rate and no fees.

No tolls on I-4 between WDW and Tampa. There are some tolls roads in the Tampa area, but many ways around the area to avoid those tolls.

If you are flying into MCO, you can sign up for the Visitor Toll Pass (LINK) from the Central FL Expressway Authority. This toll pass will work on all toll roads and most toll bridges in Florida and charges you the electronic toll rate and no fees.
Not necessarily the OP’s plan, but for others who might be doing a one way rental with MCO pickup and TPA drop off, Visitor Toll Pass will not work. I did this during a WDW-Gulf Beach trip last June, but we have an Epass transponder that we use with rental cars in Florida, so not an issue for us.

@tidblgrrer as @erionm said there are no tolls on I-4, you can use Google Maps or many of the others, they usually have an option to "Avoid Tolls" that way if the quicker route is on a toll road it won't route you. Two years ago went did the same thing you did, and made it without any tolls. This next trip I'm driving from Clearwater Beach to WDW, then picking my wife up at MCO. I've setup my route from WDW to MCO to avoid tolls and another with tolls. I will have the option and cash on hand.

Where in Tampa are you going? It makes a difference

I4 has no tolls.

Depending on where you are going you may or not encounter tolls. For example I can get all of the way to St Pete downtown without encountering tolls.

However depending on how I get to St Pete Beach, I can encounter a toll.

If we decide to add in the St. Pete Beach --- which toll pass do you recommend?
Either Sunpass or Epass will work. Both work statewide. You can do an online order for the portable version of either one, at about $20 plus tax for Sunpass (Sunpass.com) or $10 plus tax for Epass (Cfxway.com). There is also a premium Epass Xtra at about $18.50 plus tax that also covers the entire EZ-pass parts of the country if you happen to travel in a number of states east of the Mississippi.

If we decide to add in the St. Pete Beach --- which toll pass do you recommend?

Are picking up the rental at MCO.

If so...

Are you planning on taking future trips to the Orlando, St Pete, and not mentioned the Miami (perhaps traveling between Orlando and Miami or vice versa, and the same for Orlando and St Pete Beach.

Then I am not in a position to compare Sunpass vs EZpass. I have a Sunpass that I bought years ago in Jacksonville where I live even though until the last year there were no tolls in Jacksonville. I bought because of our multiple trips to Orlando and to Ft Lauderdale (for cruises). So not sure of the benefits of each other

If this is a one off trip, I would say neither.

You will need to pay toll between MCO and WDW. They accept cash.

The only other place you would need to pay a toll would be getting to St Pete beach and it would only be a dollar and the booths are manned. Plus there are ways to get to beach side without paying the toll.

In the latter case it would be more of a convenience factor if you decide to buy either version of the passes.

A couple of other things, even your car has navigation, take a look at google maps where I-4 ends and you get on I-275. What lane you need to be in to get on the correct ramp can be a bit tricky. Once you cross over the causeway, stay out of the right lane until you actually need to exit. It often turns into an exit only lane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!