Tomorrowland expansion

Putting a coaster into the Speedway area is neither sufficiently forward thinking nor sufficiently different from existing rides.

Instead, it should be much newer technology, such as the robot arms in Forbidden Journey. Programmability allows them to change the ride, and they could even have on-demand tamer versions and wilder versions. With enough excitement built in the ride, it could give a nod to nostalgia with a Mission to Mars story line, or it could use one of the newer themes already mentioned.

Then, as much as I liked Alien Encounter, they could balance the thrill ride with something much tamer in Stich's space. Imagine a high-tech, indoor carousel, with a space fantasy theme (Wall-e, Stitch, Tron, etc.), perhaps two levels, geared to the younger kids, but with some interactive controls. Maybe get inventive and design a two level carousel where the seats move up and down between levels, and perhaps the motion built into the seats instead of the platform. Or some other kid-age interactivity. Or instead of carousel, an electric, drive-yourself, multi-level, indoor slot car replacement for Speedway, with a lower height limit.

Putting a coaster into the Speedway area is neither sufficiently forward thinking nor sufficiently different from existing rides.

Instead, it should be much newer technology, such as the robot arms in Forbidden Journey. Programmability allows them to change the ride, and they could even have on-demand tamer versions and wilder versions. With enough excitement built in the ride, it could give a nod to nostalgia with a Mission to Mars story line, or it could use one of the newer themes already mentioned.

Then, as much as I liked Alien Encounter, they could balance the thrill ride with something much tamer in Stich's space. Imagine a high-tech, indoor carousel, with a space fantasy theme (Wall-e, Stitch, Tron, etc.), perhaps two levels, geared to the younger kids, but with some interactive controls. Maybe get inventive and design a two level carousel where the seats move up and down between levels, and perhaps the motion built into the seats instead of the platform. Or some other kid-age interactivity. Or instead of carousel, an electric, drive-yourself, multi-level, indoor slot car replacement for Speedway, with a lower height limit.

The problem with all of these simulator rides is that there are a lot of people that can't ride them, or at least can't enjoy them. Perhaps that's true of coasters as well, but look at all of the other simulators in Disney, how popular are they? Except for Pandora (which really is cool, but still makes a lot of people nauseous), most of them never have a long wait except on the busiest of days. They just aren't all that popular except with one group of park attendees, and they aren't the mass market. Leave the simulated thrills to Universal, Disney should stick with their range of real attractions that families can enjoy, from the youngest kid through the teenage years right on into retirement. Stop building me simulators for every "thrill" ride.

The problem with all of these simulator rides is that there are a lot of people that can't ride them, or at least can't enjoy them. Perhaps that's true of coasters as well, but look at all of the other simulators in Disney, how popular are they? Except for Pandora (which really is cool, but still makes a lot of people nauseous), most of them never have a long wait except on the busiest of days. They just aren't all that popular except with one group of park attendees, and they aren't the mass market. Leave the simulated thrills to Universal, Disney should stick with their range of real attractions that families can enjoy, from the youngest kid through the teenage years right on into retirement. Stop building me simulators for every "thrill" ride.
I don't think I'd consider Forbidden Journey a simulator ride, certainly not the same as Star Tours or Body Wars. I think the closest Disney has to it is Indiana Jones and Dinosaur. There's nothing about the FJ ride mechanism that requires 3D projection. Or imagine the motion of Spaceship Earth with more degrees of freedom. And like I said, it should be programmable to different tastes.

I was able to enjoy FJ more than Everest or even Flight of the Hippogriff, mostly because the G-forces aren't as great. And DH, who won't ride the usual simulators, was eager for our second time on FJ.

While I don't think Disney should be pursuing big coasters like the Hulk, I don't think they should rule out Ride technology just because the technology gets used intensely elsewhere.

I don't think I'd consider Forbidden Journey a simulator ride, certainly not the same as Star Tours or Body Wars. I think the closest Disney has to it is Indiana Jones and Dinosaur. There's nothing about the FJ ride mechanism that requires 3D projection. Or imagine the motion of Spaceship Earth with more degrees of freedom. And like I said, it should be programmable to different tastes.

I was able to enjoy FJ more than Everest or even Flight of the Hippogriff, mostly because the G-forces aren't as great. And DH, who won't ride the usual simulators, was eager for our second time on FJ.

While I don't think Disney should be pursuing big coasters like the Hulk, I don't think they should rule out Ride technology just because the technology gets used intensely elsewhere.

I agree that simulators shouldn't be the go to and isn't what I want to see more of in WDW. I'm fine on Soarin' but Forbidden Journey, Star Tours, Transformers, Simpsons etc all start to make me dizzy and nauseous because what I'm "moving" through isn't real and I'm guessing my brain can't keep up or something. So depending on the ride I end up with my eyes closed half the time, which defeats the purpose of going on it.

Sure simulators and video screens can be done well but they shouldn't be the replacement for actually creating these places since that's part of what made Disney so great. Think of what Peter Pan or Small World would be like if all of that was done with screens instead of little houses and animatronics, it wouldn't be as good. If I want to watch a movie I'll do that at home or see It's Tough to be a Bug/Muppets etc, I don't want to see one on a ride, with the exception of GMR.

If Disney avoids simulators and screens and coasters and animatronics (their choice?), is enough left? They would be limiting themselves quite a bit.

I agree that simulators shouldn't be the go to and isn't what I want to see more of in WDW. I'm fine on Soarin' but Forbidden Journey, Star Tours, Transformers, Simpsons etc all start to make me dizzy and nauseous because what I'm "moving" through isn't real and I'm guessing my brain can't keep up or something. So depending on the ride I end up with my eyes closed half the time, which defeats the purpose of going on it.

Sure simulators and video screens can be done well but they shouldn't be the replacement for actually creating these places since that's part of what made Disney so great. Think of what Peter Pan or Small World would be like if all of that was done with screens instead of little houses and animatronics, it wouldn't be as good. If I want to watch a movie I'll do that at home or see It's Tough to be a Bug/Muppets etc, I don't want to see one on a ride, with the exception of GMR.
The ride mechanics and the screens are separate.

Imagine if Peter Pan, instead of using ships suspended from a track, used a gentle harness mechanism. Perhaps you see the bedroom scene, then get rotated onto your back to see Peter in the sky coming to the window, then get rotated up and on your belly to fly over London, then upright for the Neverland scenes, maybe swinging out of the way of the fight on the pirate ship, etc. In other words, all the usual animatronic dark ride dioramas for what you see, with the only real change in how you move and where things are.

Now obviously I wouldn't suggest this for a ride like Peter Pan, which is aimed at young kids, including toddlers or babies. But for replacing Speedway, this sort of movement would be fine for tweens and such, and could be made more rapid, with more vibration, on an individual basis for those who want a stronger experience.

More improvements to MK as well? That's awesome.

I got an idea

If there's going be "Speedway" loyalist chained to the ride vehicles. Rather then just drag them off (which would be funny), they could try to pacify them.

They could just create a VR version of it in the "Stitch" building. It would take less space and they can the change the environment to suit the seasons.

can't speak for all of them but the part of the speedway I like is a) an "autopia" of some sort was always in Disneyland, is in almost every park, and is just nostaglia, and b) my kids love to get to "drive" a "real" car - so a VR version doesn't really meet either of those criteria

TBH though I really think it needs an upgrade and at this point would be ok if it was replaced with something great rather than left as is. Hope they keep the one in DLR though (which is superior to WDW version)

Funny, but eight pages in, and no one has predicted a M&G area with a new gift shop and/or counter service restaurant.
Not that any of those are what I'd opt for......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!