• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tomorrowland - Post SWL

Jedi Mouse

Mouseketeer
The current thread about Hyperspace Mountain got me thinking. With the Hyperspace overlay, Star Tours, Star Wars Launch Bay, Star Traders, Galatic Grill, Jedi Training and roving Storm Trooper patrols, TL is essentially SWL-Lite at the moment. This was a way for Disney to quickly integrate Star Wars into the parks while SWL could be built and as a Star Wars fan and a TL critic, I've really enjoyed it. But what happens to TL when SWL opens?

Tomorrowland has always been tough for Disney because while the past stays the same, tomorrow is always changing. The Star Wars properties were an easy fit, but with a new exclusively Star Wars themed area opening in the not so distant future, most of that is bound to head across the park. Star Tours will remain, Space Mountain will always be solid no matter what overlay they are using, but given the difficulties they have had (and are still having) with TL I'm not sure what the future holds.

I have heard that Fantasyland is next up for a major refurb after SWL construction ends. A new Marvel-land in DCA is also rumored to be coming soon which means a major TL refurb is still years away at best. I have heard rumors of the Tron lightcycle ride from Shanghai going into the space where Star Wars Launch Bay currently resides in the old Carousel of Progress building, which would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd also love to see the Astro Orbiter removed/relocated.

So, what have you heard? What would you like to see? How does Disney recapture the magic with Tomorrowland?

I totally agree with Astro Orbiter needing to be moved. It creates a horrible bottleneck at the entrance to Tomorrowland.

Another thing I'd like to see - something done with the abandoned peoplemover track. Either A) turn it back into a functioning peoplemover track or B) Tear the dang thing down. It is just sad to look at for me.

Now for the fate of Star Tours. This is the only "permanent" star wars attraction in Tomorrowland and there have been rumors that the ride will be moved to DCA and turned into an Iron Man attraction. Not sure if this will happen but I do suspect that it will be closed/repurposed/moved in some way. I'd like to see an original attraction go in there but more likely something related to a movie- maybe Wreck It Ralph? Not sure really.

Autopia and Nemo Subs gotta go. There is so much space there, the possibilities are endless!

As for the Tron Coaster I mean meh, I can't really see it happening. Especially since Tomorrowland already has Space Mountain it seems a little odd for there to be two coasters right next to each other. I mean, it would be cool don't get me wrong but idk doesn't seem like a good match for our tomorrowland. Unless there is a major major rehaul/retheme.

Most of all, I just want some life breathed back into Tomorrowland. There is almost zero theming in this area. I'd love to see a return to retro-futurism (minus any steampunk vibe), because as you mentioned the theme of "future" is too hard to pin down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter