Too much travel for someone with asd

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
So I stand corrected dh does want to see his sister just not on the way to see my dad I can understand that

But would it be too much for him to do AK in February

Then see his sister over my spring break which is April

Then go see my dad over summer vacation

Fwiw I know I should ask him but wanted to see what the experts thoughts where

Glad you have figured it out with him, but, yes, the best expert on what is too much for any person with ASD (or most other things) is that person if they are able to articulate. DS can cope with one things, and some series of things, sometimes and not others, and some more than some less than any other person, so, each thing unique.
I have been following your posts, and I genuinely hope you have a wonderful trip / trips, and I really hope that the DIS helps you, because, you seem to find the planning quite stressful? Don't get me wrong, totally NOT a criticism, it can be very stressful, I just wanted to send my hope that you are looking after yourself too!

@tinkerbellandeeyor I want you to do me a favor.

Sit down.

Take a deep breath.

And then realize that everything will be as OK as it can be.

Now I'm going to talk to you like you are one of my own. As my Grandma used to say "I'm about to tell you how the cow ate the cabbage!" LOL

Sweetie, you all are going to Disney World. The sheer number of people who would trade places with you in a heartbeat is *staggering*. Trust me when I tell you this: for all of the worrying that you are doing right now, you will find that things will go as they go - and that 95% of your worry was for naught. WDW is the easiest place in the world to vacation - especially if you do it like I do, and literally let Disney do everything from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. I leave reality, dirty laundry, cooking, cleaning, making doctor appointments, filling prescriptions, housework, shopping, errands, ALL OF IT behind, and I just live inside that big ol' beautiful Disney bubble.

What you need to do is make sure that you have planned for everything that you *can* control - so focus on packing, and making sure that you have what you and your DH will need for each trip. Double check travel arrangements, and then make like Elsa, and let it go. And as you go along, use each trip as a learning device - keep what works, and don't be afraid to try new things to replace what didn't work. You may be surprised - many people thrive on travel.

If you know that having earplugs will help him in certain situations, by all means, bring them. If he sleeps better with a white noise machine, pack it, and bring it along. You - more than anyone here - know him better than probably anyone else because you are married to him. Focus your energy on what you *can* do, and seriously - let go of what you cannot control. Which, yes, seems like a lot, and is very scary. But you are already at a place where you won't enjoy your own vacation if you can't figure out how to prioritize everything you and your DH need to travel.

If your DH wants to go and travel three times in less than a year, then go - as long as you all can afford it and you both want to go, etc. Those topics are between you and your spouse.

Remember this one last thing; it's important: IT WILL NOT BE PERFECT. Your Disney World vacation will look NOTHING like the commercials on TV. It will most likely be crowded and noisy and there *will be* lines for everything - rides, attractions, meet-n-greets, food, restrooms... everything. Everything will cost more than you feel like it should. Your feet will hurt at the end of the day. Your nose will get sunburned. You may get rained on. You will be hot and sweaty and exhausted, and it's OK, because all of that is part and parcel of going to Disney World! It's part of the shared madness that somehow endears us to the place. My husband says every trip is like having a child - right after its over, you swear you will never do *that* again, and then as time passes... you forget why you felt that way, and the memories are softened with time, and suddenly you are crying because you saw another Disney commercial on TV, and all you want to do is go back to Florida. And it will start all over again. And *that trip* won't be perfect either, but you will - in time - forget that too. So it's important to remember that NO ONE has a "perfect" trip - no matter how great they say it is, or how awesomely amazing the pictures are on Facebook or Instagram, no one ever gets a "perfect" trip. Things happen - to all of us. The trick to having a GREAT trip is whenever you have a problem, build a bridge, get over it, and go on. Focus on the fun you *can* have, and *have had*.

Focus on the positive.

Focus on what you can control.

Focus on making memories with your DH - and not making yourself so stressed out.

I know it seems like it is easier said than done, but a large part of surviving marriage, and adulthood, and life in general is figuring out what you can let go of, and what you need to hang on to.

And those same priorities apply here.

I hope - with all of my heart - that you do have the best possible trip.

(((Hugs)))

MB

Some people love to travel and won't mind doing it weekly or monthly; some people hate to travel and find it very stressful with packing and airports and ground transportation and living/sleeping arrangements different than home. Traveling long distance over February break, then again at April break, and again in the summer -- that can be a lot of travel in a relatively short time for anyone, particularly if someone doesn't do much traveling usually. Your DH may decide that he enjoys traveling, but I'm glad you decided to spread it out a bit to each summer. That will be easier on the finances as well.

Enjoy your trips -- you have much to look forward to, sounds exciting!

So I stand corrected dh does want to see his sister just not on the way to see my dad I can understand that

But would it be too much for him to do AK in February

Then see his sister over my spring break which is April

Then go see my dad over summer vacation

Fwiw I know I should ask him but wanted to see what the experts thoughts where

Give him a lot of say in the planning and scheduling, and I think he should try. Just make sure he knows all the details - what day you are leaving, how you are getting there, when you arrive, what the sleeping arrangements will be like, what you will do, where you will eat, etc. Give him as much info as possible so he feels he has control. Plan one trip at a time if you can. Don't go into the April details until the February one is over, to give him a mental break in all the planning.

@mamabunny you have a point it is fun to some point on the other point somethings just don't add up

I remember back in 2004 keep in mind that I am local for a filed trip I did both MK and AK no planing expect for permission slips and who was going to be in what group and those are some of my best memories

Now I am reading about all these trips from the place below heaven what happened to my beloved Disney

Now granted just got back from blizzard beach had the time of my life it was very last minute did not see any tour groups had great time with two people I only get to see once to twice a year

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter