Took time off and lost all training

seashell7290

Mouseketeer
So I recently completed the 5k and glass slipper challenge during princess weekend and thought I deserved about 2 weeks off from training. Up to those races I have been running for about 6 months and have completed a few other races. Now that I am getting back into training for a 10 miler, I feel like I lost a great deal of stamina. I have not felt like this since I started running 6 months ago. Any tips on getting back to where I was? I had taken time off back in Jan after a half and was able to maintain my training for princess so I'm a little surprised I lost so much. Just a little frustrating. Thanks for any tips!

You haven't been out of it that long, so I would just schedule a week of pretty easy running (no tempo, intervals, etc), and I bet you start feeling good again.

Just keep going. From my experience it's unlikely that you've lost it ALL. It just feels like it right now.

I don't think that's long enough to lose "all" of your training. Just keep going, build back up slowly, and be patient...it'll come back.

(This is coming from someone that was just off for 2.5 months due to an injury...:upsidedow)

Last edited:

I was in same boat a few months ago after a goal race, I just kind of took a break for a few weeks unintentionally (only a few short runs thrown in here and there.) My stamina at easy paces wasn't too affected. But it did take me multiple runs to get my speed back up to where I wanted it. So I agree with the poster above that says do some easy runs, meaning easy pace for you. And if you are like me...you will soon get a moment where it clicks again and starts to feel closer to back to normal. Plowing past that 4 mile mark on a day when the first 3 felt pretty "meh" helped me feel better. Just keep at it.

2 weeks is not long enough to lose much strength or cardio vascular fitness. However, it can be long enough to lose your mental edge. After a few runs you will find that it gets easier again. Relax and let it come - don't force it.

From the research I've read, I'd say you've lost about 6% of your total fitness with two weeks completely off. It will only take about 2 weeks to regain that fitness once you get back into your normal routine. You'll feel stiff and unsure during those first couple runs, but it will become natural again soon enough. A little time off can be a good thing, and actually can enhance benefits of future training when timed appropriately.

From the research I've read, I'd say you've lost about 6% of your total fitness with two weeks completely off. It will only take about 2 weeks to regain that fitness once you get back into your normal routine. You'll feel stiff and unsure during those first couple runs, but it will become natural again soon enough. A little time off can be a good thing, and actually can enhance benefits of future training when timed appropriately.

I was estimating a 5.83% loss of total fitness, but sometimes I am too conservative.

Thanks everyone! I am going to keep easing back into it. It is very helpful that the weather in the northeast is great t shirt and shorts weather at the moment. Hopefully in about two weeks I will have reacclimatized.

So I recently completed the 5k and glass slipper challenge during princess weekend and thought I deserved about 2 weeks off from training. Up to those races I have been running for about 6 months and have completed a few other races. Now that I am getting back into training for a 10 miler, I feel like I lost a great deal of stamina. I have not felt like this since I started running 6 months ago. Any tips on getting back to where I was? I had taken time off back in Jan after a half and was able to maintain my training for princess so I'm a little surprised I lost so much. Just a little frustrating. Thanks for any tips!

Give it time. Your legs could still be tired. I ran a marathon this year and took about two weeks off. I went out for a 5K run and struggled to maintain my normal pace. Went out two days later and could not maintain my pace. I did not run until a week later when i ran a 10k. Ended up pr-ing.

So give it some time. If you hadn't ran that many miles, you probably need some recovery time. By recovery i wouldn't say no running, but running with the expectation that you will feel like you're not as strong. But it will come back.

You will be fine, 2 weeks is nothing and is usually what I do as a rest period after a big race and extended training. Just know the first week back you may feel it a bit more. I usually keep my first week back from a break to 3 and sometimes 4 shorter runs of around 30 mins or 5k. Each day I run I try and run a little faster just to get my heart rate higher on each run day. Then the following week I go back to 2 short runs (45mins) and the n a weekend longer run of 10-15K.

I find the first week back of keeping it short but higher heart rate helps me get back into my usual pace.

More than likely your body is still recovering, so just take it easy and run a bit slower for your first couple of runs. You really haven't lost much at all, if anything. You'll be back to where you were in no time. I took about 3 months of with little to no running and I felt like I lost a lot (and I did), however, it took about a month of easy running to get back to where I was. With 2 weeks off, you'll probably be feeling back to normal by next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter