TOP OF THE WORLD

OHIOVACATIONER

DIS Veteran
I heard that access to the TOP OF THE WORLD at BLT would not be accessable to anyone that has not bought directly from Disney. Is that true? We just bought resale and would like to know if a vacation planned for next year we would be able to go watch fireworks. Thank you

I heard that access to the TOP OF THE WORLD at BLT would not be accessable to anyone that has not bought directly from Disney. Is that true? We just bought resale and would like to know if a vacation planned for next year we would be able to go watch fireworks. Thank you
I’m not a member, but two years ago I was with a friend who is a member. She could not access the Top of The World without her DVC membership card which she had left at home. So we took the monorail over to The Poly DVC office and they made her a new card. We were then able to access The Top of The World. And.....You don’t get the membership card anymore if you buy resale.

According to the members' website, any owner can access TOTWL, regardless of where they bought their contract.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/membership/direct-purchase-benefit/

"New purchasers of a Disney Vacation Club Membership on or after April 4, 2016, who do not purchase their ownership interest directly from Disney still have access to the opportunities listed below, by showing a copy of your Membership Identification.
Pool Hoping
DVD Rentals
Access to Top of the World Lounge"​

You can go to Request Membership Card, farther down in the Dashboard, and then when the page comes up that shows the card, either print it, or copy it and save it on your computer, or take a screenshot and save it. Either do this on your phone, or Transfer it to your phone. Then when you get there, show them a picture of your card, on your phone, or showtime your printed copy.

How about the digital card? Do all members whether resale or direct purchase still get a digital card? I thought that was the only want a resale owner can get their white member card these days.

Yes. You still get a Digital Card. So you need to print it or ‘store’ it, so you can show it to them.

Top of the World cannot be restricted to only direct purchasers.

Restrictions can be put on TOTW, but they have to be more universal:
  • No one at all
  • Only owners at BLT
  • Only DVC owners staying at BLT
The second was true when TOTW first opened, and the third is true during high demand dates.

TOTW is dues-supported. Nothing that is supported via dues can be restricted to direct buyers only.

So if I am understanding correctly, people who rent points from an owner at BLT can not access TOTW?

Similarly, cash reservations also cannot access TOTW.
Cash bookings by members is also included. But not cash reservations for non-members. Just cash reservations for members.

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with Vacation Points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2018.

Top of the world is paid for by the BLT owners, not Disney or DVD. Since they are not paying for it they can't restrict access to resale buyers.

:earsboy: Bill

Went up on Wednesday, lounge itself was quite crowded! Fireworks were awesome! Going to Dessert Party tomorrow night to see the projections up close. We are with friends who have never seen HEA!

What about associate members staying on points at BLT? My parents own at BLT and have us on their contract as associate members, and we have a reservation there coming up around the holidays, but since we're not eligible to get a membership card are we locked out of the lounge?

What about associate members staying on points at BLT? My parents own at BLT and have us on their contract as associate members, and we have a reservation there coming up around the holidays, but since we're not eligible to get a membership card are we locked out of the lounge?

No card, no lounge. This page sums it up: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/member-types/member-vs-associate/

"An Associate will not receive a Membership Card nor do they have any privileges of ownership."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!