Topic of the week: Chicken

Beth E. (NJ)

<font color=red>Disney obsessed<br><font color=blu
Ok folks! The topic is chicken. Please post your recipes. Thanks! :D

This recipe is from my husbands grandmother. It is an old family recipe -- I don't have exact measurements -- it's one of those "looks right" recipes.

Potted Chicken

Oil
Onions sliced -- you need a bunch of them (I will use at least 1/2 of one of those bags of onions from the store when I make this)
Paprika
Chicken Thighs
water

Use a large heavy pot. Put some oil in the bottom. Top with the onions. You need a lot of onions because they are what give the gravy the flavor. They will melt down in cooking. Coat the chicken pieces liberally in paprika and arrange over the onions. Add water to almost cover. Put the top on the pot and let cook at medium heat for 1 1/2 hours. Check it during cooking. You can add some more water if neccessary.

I serve this over noodles or mashed potatoes.

My MIL cooks this for all he guys in the family, it gets them to the table in a flash! The chicken is so tender it falls apart.

Barbeque Chicken

Dredge chicken in flour and brown quickly in fat. Put into baking dish and sauce over. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Sauce:

1 stick margarine, melted 1 medium onion, chopped
3 T brown sugar 1 T vinegar
salt and pepper to taste ½ C (or more) water

Let simmer. Then pour over chicken and bake.

TK

Here's one of my family's favorites

5 Minute Fajitas

1 pound Sliced boneless/skinless chicken breast
1 large green pepper, seeded and sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 pkg. flour tortillas
shredded cheese
salsa

Optional: sour cream & guacamole

Saute chicken breast in a couple Tbsp. of oil mixed with some seasoned salt until halfway done. Add peppers and onions and stirfry until fully cooked.

Warm tortillas in microwave. Add chicken mixture, sprinkle with cheese and add salsa, sour cream and guacamole. Roll up and Enjoy!

This is a family favorite that I actually got from Nikole. My kids love this one and we make it fairly often. Since I make it fairly often I have made a few changes in Nikole's original recipe. The version below is a kind of amalgamation of Nikole's original with my variations. Big hugs to Nikole for giving me this in the first place!

Chicken chimichanga

Take a couple of cans of cream of chicken soup (I usually use like three or four reg size or say one or two of the family size...but I like lots of sauce.) ;-) Take a fairly equal amount of sour cream. Mix well. (Sometimes I heat this mixture in a pot to make it mix easier.) (Nikole adds chopped chili peppers, but I leave them out so the kids will eat it)

Meanwhile heat some oil in a frying pan and then saute some sliced onions and green peppers.

Spread a little of the chicken soup mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 pan (so tortillas won't stick). Then reserve a cup of so to top the dish. To the remaining sauce add the sauted onions/peppers and Add to that mixture some chopped cooked chicken (I either boil up a whole chicken, save and freeze the broth.... OR if I'm being lazy, I buy the frozen pre-cooked chicken.)

Fill up some tortillas, roll them and place seam side down in 9x13 pan. Spoon the reserved sauce over the top (that's why I like lots of sauce...), sprinkle with cheddar cheese. (You can also sprinkle some cheddar inside each tortilla if you like also.)

Bake at 350 till bubbly!!!

Here's another favorite

Chicken Enchiladas Suiza

1 lb. cubed cooked chicken
1 8-oz. bag shredded cheese or more (I like co-jack or Mexican blend)
1 8-oz. carton sour cream (I use a little less, then they aren't as soupy)
4 green onions chopped small
1 pkg. flour tortillas (the smaller ones work better)
1 12 or 16-oz. jar salsa

Combine chicken, green onions, HALF the cheese and sour cream. Spread a thin layer of salsa on bottom of 9x13 glass dish. Stuff tortillas and roll, place seam side down in dish. COntinue until you run out of tortillas. Pour remaining salsa over top, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter