Total Disaster...Need Some Advice For Cruising As A Single Parent (Just For This Cruise)are

ArtemisPhoenix

Mouseketeer
So my worst fears for this cruise have come true...my husband has just been called to work on a movie (he’s a stuntman) and the dates are right during our Merrytime Cruise that starts on Dec. 11. It’s too much work (and therefore, money...we’re buying a house, so we have to be smart about that right now) to turn down. So now I’m looking at possibly taking this cruise with my 5 and 6 year old on my own. In all of my plans and imaginings of this that I’ve had over the last year that we have been planning this, I never imagined doing it alone. I know that the kids will probably love the kids clubs, so I’m not worried that I won’t get to relax at all, but I don’t really know what to expect other than that. Obviously Palo and Remy are not as appealing. Are there any activities that are great for either solo travelers or single parents? What should I be aware of that may be a little more challenging without a partner? And finally, any suggestions on how to make this still really wonderful for my kids so they don’t just feel the lack of their Dad on what was supposed to be our first family vacation? Thanks in advance.

A Disney cruise is totally do-able on your own. Your kids will have so much fun, I’m sure they will be fine w/o your DH there as long as you have the right attitude about it. I’ve done trips with my kids alone b/c getting away can be really hard for DH to do sometimes....my kids (4 of them) and I have had some wonderful adventures together. I know it’s not your first choice, but you are going to have a blast and you’ll have all the support you need on the ship.

I am going on my 8th DCL cruise with my kids on 12/9, and my husband has yet go on one with us. Last year was the first time that I went alone with the kids - my mom would usually go with us - but she passed on earlier this year so it will just be me and the kids again. I have to admit, I felt a little lonely at times last year, and I am worried about that again this year.

I think I have it a little easier, because my kids are 13 and 10, so the older one, esp., might go play some trivia with me, or maybe bingo. I try to make sure we see every show together and eat dinner, but they tend to leave early from the dinners to head back to the clubs. I am looking forward to checking out the kids clubs at open house with my 10 year old (my 13 year old would die if I tried to go with him, I'm sure)!

I used to meet people from my cruise here on the Dis and sometimes play trivia with them. But unfortunately, not as much activity as there used to be, so I went to the site that shall remain nameless and joined a group of people going on my cruise. I hope that some of the contacts I have made may pan out into people I can hang out with at various events around the ship.

Since this time I am going on the Fantasy I plan on getting the weeklong rainforest pass and going there at least once a day and relaxing!! I don't mind some time to myself, it would just be nice to have another adult to go to trivia and other events with - esp. in the adults only venues at night to have a drink.

I also have know they have a Cruisin' Solo get together near the beginning of the cruise - you don't have to be "single" just cruisin single to go, and I may go to that this time (I never have before).

Too bad you aren't going on my cruise on the 9th or we could hang out!!

I did a DCL cruise last year with my four kids after my husband had to work during spring break, and I have to say it was the best, most relaxing vacation I’ve ever taken with my kids! Of course I missed my husband, but DCL does such a great job of just taking care of everything that I was able to relax and have a great time with my kids without having to stress about anything at all. It’s just such an easy vacation that doing it alone with four kids was better than I even imagined. They enjoyed the kids clubs for a couple of hours each day, and I used that time to lay by the pool or read on our verandah. At dinner, we were seated with another “single” mom and her kids, and it was nice to have another adult to talk to, but I never felt like I was missing out on adult activities or anything. Other than missing just being with him, it was really no big deal to cruise without my husband. If I ever have to vacation without him again, I would 100% do a Disney Cruise. Go and have a great time!!

I have done WDW and am doing our planned cruise as a puesdo single. As my mom replaces DH ( not a fan) on our trips. She is older and slower so most park or cruise activities ( ports) it’s just me and the kids. Days it’s just us 3. Totally doable. Just pack effecient ( no stroller) so you can carry most. A 5 and 6 yr old can handle their own small ( kid size) carry on. Sure there are moments where I think about DH. From what I’ve figuered out a cruise offers the best as far as “childcare” so you have some me time. I would definately get them in the kids club so at least you have some me time. I plan on doing some tastings on my own as my mom doesnt do that.

This is not a disaster. I get that you’re sad, but a disaster? Nope.

Obviously Palo and Remy are not as appealing.

Dining alone is awesome. No one to worry about but yourself? Servers falling all over you?

First Palo experience was solo and likely will be in the future (if we do dcl again) since Dh’s diet is now extremely restricted. It was not a problem. I brought a book, I ate slowly, I looked around. And had no one to worry about but myself. Ahhhhh

What should I be aware of that may be a little more challenging without a partner?

The last-night packing-up argument will be harder without a partner. :)

You’re going to have so much time to yourself to let by the pool and read a book because your kids will be in the Oceaneers club. You’re going to love it. They have wavephones you can bring with you everywhere in case your kids want to come out of the club. No need to sit in the room waiting for the call. You do you on this cruise! :) have a blast!

I get the disappointment of not having your dh there, but I also have a lot of fun traveling alone with the kids. The dynamic changes some, which is good for everyone.

total disaster in that your whole family won't be together for a wonderful cruise. So you certainly have my sympathies with that regard. You may be surprised that the kids may not enjoy the kids club and will want to hang out with you. If you are outgoing, it is easy to strike up conversations with people on the adult pool deck and other adult spaces. Plus you can still do any of the other events on board, bingo, crafts, trivia (just ask to join a team!). You can still check out on of the alcohol tastings as well. I have read many reports of people still enjoying palo or remy when dining as a solo. Sometimes they even take a book to read. You should never feel excluded or snubbed from any activity (well except for match your mate for obvious reasons). Have a wonderful time.

Not a disaster at all! Just set expectations for your children ahead of time. Let them know they'll need to go to the kids' club between 10 and noon for example and that in the afternoon you'll take turns with one of them doing whatever they want and then swap off. You'll have a brilliant time.

I did a solo trip with my son 2years ago and just want to echo that the dynamic was so amazingly different. We got to relate to each other differently somehow-more like equals just hanging out (even though he was 8 at the time). and I relied on him a little more for help. Afterwards I told my husband he just had to do a solo trip too, and he came back and said it was some of the best time he had ever spent with our son. SO I understand your disappointment, but you really may find it’s an awesome experience too.

Watching a movie in the theater is fun even when alone, a spa treatment is great for a single, there are often single people at all the activities during the day so you wouldn’t stand out if there’s something that sounds fun.

More challenging-this is one area where DCL is going to make it so easy. Once you’re on the ship, you’re in a contained area and have the kids clubs as backup. Disney takes care of a lot of the hassle and are usually right there to help.
With two younger ones the pools may be a little more of a challenge to supervise if the kids don’t want to stay in the same spot. I’d just say the deal is child A gets to pick the pool activity for 30 minutes then child B and back and forth.
The buffet can be a little hard if the kids need help with their trays, but we’ve had cast members offer to carry trays to the table when they seem me struggling. I would get the kids settled and then go back for drinks.

The kids will really follow your lead on it being special. Call it an adventure- with my solo trip we got off the plane and I said okay do you think just you and I can manage all these bags and my son was like I’m on it and felt so grown up. We also did little cute silly things like dads not here let’s get extra dessert. I guess I’d say I relaxed being a “parent”.

So my worst fears for this cruise have come true...my husband has just been called to work on a movie (he’s a stuntman) and the dates are right during our Merrytime Cruise that starts on Dec. 11. It’s too much work (and therefore, money...we’re buying a house, so we have to be smart about that right now) to turn down. So now I’m looking at possibly taking this cruise with my 5 and 6 year old on my own. In all of my plans and imaginings of this that I’ve had over the last year that we have been planning this, I never imagined doing it alone. I know that the kids will probably love the kids clubs, so I’m not worried that I won’t get to relax at all, but I don’t really know what to expect other than that. Obviously Palo and Remy are not as appealing. Are there any activities that are great for either solo travelers or single parents? What should I be aware of that may be a little more challenging without a partner? And finally, any suggestions on how to make this still really wonderful for my kids so they don’t just feel the lack of their Dad on what was supposed to be our first family vacation? Thanks in advance.
I always vacation with my son without his dad- it can be great. Focus not on his absence, but on getting some time to yourself, which can be nice, and being able to give even more attention to the kids. I've dined at both Palo & Remy solo and liked it both times. I recommend treating yourself at least to Palo brunch- just relax and enjoy the great food & pretty surroundings during your meal. Treat yourself to the Rainforest Room at the spa, and maybe another spa treatment. Go to the ship's Bingo sessions with the kids- that's a genuinely fun for all ages activity. Rent bicycles on Castaway Cay, and explore the island together. Just have fun and take lots of pics to share with their dad later. You can enjoy looking at them together as you plan that next cruise that he'll be on, too. While on the ship, be sure to book a placeholder for the 4 of you to sail at a discount next time.

I say, no big deal, but when I went I was very glad that my ex-husband was not a part of our trip, lol. I'm a single mom (all of the time) and vacation with my kids. The first night of our Disney Cruise was a little different for me as both of my kids wanted to check out the kids club and I wasn't sure what to do with myself after dinner. The rest of the time was busy and fun. It was nice to have one-on-one time with my 8 year old son. My almost 5 year old never wanted to leave the kids club, and I had to force her out to spend time with me and her brother. Other than getting seasick, it was a fun trip, but I will say that I enjoyed Beaches Turks and Caicos more as a single parent. We loved Castaway Cay and had a great bike ride. People were busier on the cruise than at the Beaches Resort so I found it easier to talk to other adults at Beaches. Of course, being seasick might have put me in less of the mood to socialize with others. I am still trying to get up my courage to take another cruise because my kids did love it, but I'm afraid of getting seasick again.

Getting sick on the ship was a bit of a problem traveling alone with kids. I was sick enough to not be able to leave the cabin. I had to call the kids club and practically beg them to help me get my kids down there to enjoy some fun. I was afraid of vomiting all over the place on the way down. They did come to help and were wonderful, but getting sick while traveling alone with kids is VERY challenging. Fortunately, as the ship docked each time, I felt better quickly. It makes me nervous to think of a medical emergency happening to me while traveling with the kids alone, but not enough to not travel with my kids.

One thing that I did that was foolish was getting off the ship in Cozumel and not taking enough cash for a taxi. I had my cards, but underestimated the amount of cash I needed for taxicabs and did not take enough cash out of the safe. I think this was a little worse traveling alone with kids. I fortunately thought of a solution and purchased other peoples entrance fees to the attraction we were visiting on my card and they gave me cash. My next course of action was going to be to find out how to contact the Disney ship for help. There were not ATMs where we went. Bring more cash than you need for shore excursions you will do on your own.

I did a solo cruise with my kids when they were the same age for the same reason (hubby had to work) and had a great time. However, I don't want to be a downer, any vacation is better than being at home, but for us it wasn't quite the same without Daddy. One issue is that there's no "divide and conquer" option. If one child is tired and is enjoying a movie in the cabin but the other wants to go to the princess gathering, someone's going to be disappointed. If someone is hungry and wants an ice cream from the pool deck, everyone has to pack up and head out. Room service is your friend, especially for breakfast. I'm pretty self sufficient and have no problem travelling alone, but having one family member absent does change the dynamics. However, it was still a great trip overall and I'd be happy to do it again.

I think if there is one vacation that would be easy to do alone with young kids it would be a cruise. I have traveled with my kids without their dad, I've traveled with each kid separately, and we've traveled as a family many times. I enjoy them all. I will say traveling with just one kid is pretty special. Although I get a little bored at times it makes for a very relaxing vacation. Traveling with both my kids can make me want to pull my hair out. Your kids are young and probably still in the best friend mode. Mine are teens and don't travel well together.

I have taken cruises with kids only. It’s great. They prefer the clubs than hAnging with me. We get just enough time together to please us all. Go to the spa, the cocktail tastings, the piano bar. Don’t be afraid of Palo or remy. Staff will treat you like a queen. And definitely hit the bar between palo and remy. Wonderful relaxing place for a drink pre or post dinner. I always prefer sitting at bar when I’m alone. Easy to strike up conversations with bartenders and other customers.

I think logistically it would be fine to travel without him but if you think it would put a damper on the trip and you’d be thinking about him the whole time I’d consider moving dates if you can to a time when he can come too without a penalty. I personally wouldn’t have as much fun without my other half had I had it planned and in my mind he was coming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!