Total random question about hotel washcloths

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
So, I’ve noticed when traveling with my family of four, that most hotel rooms we check into have four towels and two washcloths. This is actually a running joke between my DH, boys, and myself because we just find it odd that a hotel room that sleeps four only provides two washcloths. We just came home earlier today from the beach, and the first thing we did when we got to the room was count the washcloths, and sure enough, there were two. The next day after our room was serviced, the housekeeper left three. I found her in the room next door and asked her for a fourth, and she told me she usually leaves three in each room she cleans. I don’t know, maybe we just have bad luck, or I’m totally missing something, but do any of you have experience with this problem? Probably the only place we don’t have to ask for extra washcloths is at Disney.

Thanks for listening to my random thinking, lol.

So, I’ve noticed when traveling with my family of four, that most hotel rooms we check into have four towels and two washcloths. This is actually a running joke between my DH, boys, and myself because we just find it odd that a hotel room that sleeps four only provides two washcloths. We just came home earlier today from the beach, and the first thing we did when we got to the room was count the washcloths, and sure enough, there were two. The next day after our room was serviced, the housekeeper left three. I found her in the room next door and asked her for a fourth, and she told me she usually leaves three in each room she cleans. I don’t know, maybe we just have bad luck, or I’m totally missing something, but do any of you have experience with this problem? Probably the only place we don’t have to ask for extra washcloths is at Disney.

Thanks for listening to my random thinking, lol.
I think not a lot of people use washcloths. Maybe the hotel industry has figured out the ratio of washcloth/towel usage and trimmed it down to save money

I’ve run into this also. I’ve also stayed at places and book for 4 but they only leave 2 towels. I don’t like sharing my towel. But then they all get mixed up anyway cause they are all the same color.

We're always running short on washcloths too! (Especially when we're traveling to Florida, as we sometimes take a second shower if we've gotten all sweaty in the parks and are changing for dinner.)

A lot of hotels now have those little cards about saving water, so we always do hang up our towels to reuse (I bring clips to identify whose is whose) but I'm not OK with that for washcloths, so we usually ask for extras.

I've also taken to packing a few really bright ones from home, just in case.

We always have the same number of washcloths as bath towels whenever we travel. I've never noticed a shortage.
We do get clean towels each day. Florida is humid, and things don't dry quickly even in hotel rooms. I don't like even slightly midewy towels.

I've never counted the washcloths because we don't use those, but I have noticed that a lot of times lately the hotel is only leaving 3 towels for a room that sleeps 4. We often have to call to ask for another towel. When they bring us the towel, they usually end up leaving about 5 extra instead. It is perplexing why they keep starting out with 3 though.

I can't remember ever having that problem. We don't stay in hotels a lot, but we probably average 4-6 hotel nights a year. We actually just did a road trip a few weeks ago and stayed in 6 different hotels (all Choice Hotels or Hilton brand) and they all had equal numbers of bath towels, hand towels, and wash cloths in the room.

I can't remember ever having that problem. We don't stay in hotels a lot, but we probably average 4-6 hotel nights a year. We actually just did a road trip a few weeks ago and stayed in 6 different hotels (all Choice Hotels or Hilton brand) and they all had equal numbers of bath towels, hand towels, and wash cloths in the room.
This. We stay in A LOT of hotels, all different chains all year long. And we ALWAYS run into the three bath towels for a four person room situation. It’s annoying. I shouldn’t have to call down to ask for another towel especially when I put four people on my reservation! I was asked by text how I liked my accommodations at the last Marriott we stayed in and I actually mentioned how I hate the trend of only leaving three towels for a four person room. They asked...I answered.

I'm trying to remember if I've paid a ton of attention but I do feel like what I see to see is 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels 2 wash cloths and 1 bath-towel mat to put outside the shower or bathtub. Sometimes there's a 3rd bath towel. I'm thinking the most often combination of hotel guests is 1-2 people.

Last hotel stay was a few weeks ago and that's what they had. The thing that was slightly inconvenient is when they do actually include that 3rd bath towel (which the last place I stayed at did) when it comes time to replace them when you get your room cleaned and opt for new towel they don't seem to re-include that. I doubt housekeeping is even thinking about that but that 3rd towel becomes useful for only a real short time. I like to use 2 towels (one for my hair one for my body) if I have the option to. But I don't make a fuss if that doesn't happen.

A lot of hotels now have those little cards about saving water, so we always do hang up our towels to reuse (I bring clips to identify whose is whose) but I'm not OK with that for washcloths, so we usually ask for extras.

I reuse towels at home and intend to do the same at hotels. So I hang them up like the card requests. About 90% of the time the housekeeper takes them and provides fresh towels.

I've never noticed if there's a washcloth discrepancy. I usually bring my own mesh net body pouf with me.

I’ve noticed the 3 towel trend and it drives me nuts too but I’ve also seen a consistent towel to towel count so 3 Bath, 3 hand, and 3 washcloths.

Disney always does 4 of each it seems :)

I've seen some odd layouts. I believe that most rooms are set up for double occupancy, including double-doubles.

The last room I stayed in (single king) had two stacks of bath/hand/wash towels under the sink. The shower door rack had another bath towel and the bath mat. And to the right of the sink was a single dark gray towel that actually had "face towel" (or something similar) printed on it.

But in the end I'm not sure how big a deal that is when one can always ask for more. One time we needed more and housekeeping said they'd come by later although we had to go somewhere. We returned later back found a stack of 6 bath towels. I was thinking they'd come by with maybe 2.

At the basic level there should be one of each for however many people are booked in to the room. I have had a few occasions lately where there are not enough towels for the number of people? Like what do they think, we are going to share them?

At the basic level there should be one of each for however many people are booked in to the room. I have had a few occasions lately where there are not enough towels for the number of people? Like what do they think, we are going to share them?
I assume they clean the room not knowing how many people will be staying next... if you need more it’s a quick call and that way the hotel isn’t re-washing fresh towels if you don’t use them all.

My complaint is the hotels that put the shower rack IN the bathtub/shower combo. They'll stack a couple towels on a shelf in that area, then have 2 towels hanging from a rack attached to the shelf. DH always adjusts the shower head so it sprays as far outward as possible and never pays attention to where towels are until he's done showering which ends up getting every towel anywhere from damp to soaked. Why hang and stack them there if the shower spray can reach them?!

I don't think I've noticed a shortage of washcloths unless we were also shorted towels.

my complaint is pillows. I need 4 pillows to sleep properly. 2 for me head, one for between my legs, so my skin dont touch my skin, and one for a boo boo

I like having 4 pillows too. There’s always a fight over the spare pillow and then i’ll bribe the kids from one off their bed. I like air bnbs because there’s multiple beds and extra pillows from those beds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!