Total random question about hotel washcloths

I like having 4 pillows too. There’s always a fight over the spare pillow and then i’ll bribe the kids from one off their bed. I like air bnbs because there’s multiple beds and extra pillows from those beds.

Really? I just want one. When I'm in a hotel room alone I find myself stacking the unused pillows on a chair or sofa. I can't quite figure out what to do with four pillows on a king bed.

I reuse towels at home and intend to do the same at hotels. So I hang them up like the card requests. About 90% of the time the housekeeper takes them and provides fresh towels.

That happened to DH just this week! He was traveling for work, hung up his towels, and they replaced those, but didn't replace the washcloths balled up in the corner of the tub. :confused3

I've been wondering the same thing! For our long trips, I started ordering extra towels/washcloths as soon as we get in the room so I don't have to keep asking every day. I usually ask for 10 extra sets. They probably think its strange but when you get back from the parks late at night & don't have enough they usually can't get them to you quick enough. What's strange is almost every time I order them, they also give me the same number of hand towels!

I assume they clean the room not knowing how many people will be staying next... if you need more it’s a quick call and that way the hotel isn’t re-washing fresh towels if you don’t use them all.
Why would a hotel be washing clean towels?

I’ve noticed the 3 towel trend and it drives me nuts too but I’ve also seen a consistent towel to towel count so 3 Bath, 3 hand, and 3 washcloths.

Disney always does 4 of each it seems :)

I guess we're lucky. I can't tell you the last time we had to ask for extra towels (outside of needing extra towels for swimming) at a hotel we've stayed at. I know it happened once on a trip several years ago. We usually travel as a party of 4. If we stay at a Comfort Suites or similar hotel there has often been more than 4 sets of towels. On our recent road trip, there were 2 nights that we stayed in a king room (only 2 of us traveling that time) and we still had 4 sets of towels/washcloths. And we don't make our reservations more than about 5 minutes before we check-in when we're doing a road trip so it's not like the hotel knows how many people are going to be in the room and they put extra towels there before we arrive. Of course, I've now probably jinxed myself and will need to call for more towels on all future hotel stays. :D

Hotels and timeshares vary, but they should have at least enough Terry for how many the room can hold.

Then of course if they don't have enough to put in room, then you may have an odd number.

I don't count them but we are always at least 4 to a room so immediately call for towels/washcloths/pillows/hangers & tell them we want a lot. Disney usually brings us a lot after requesting but they are not folded, lol.
I use the little scrunchy poufs for taking a bath but want a washcloth for my face.

What I found that was off was the last 2 years we have rented a condo for a few xtra days before checking in at a Disney resort. Two different condos, two different owners. The first year the linen closet was fully stocked with towels/washcloths. Then last year at the second condo we were told only towels were furnished as it was a health violation to furnish washcloths?? Sooo, quick trip to Dollar Tree for cheapo washcloths.

Interesting.. never thought about it as nobody in our family uses washclothes. That last time I used them on a body was when my kids were infants and I sponged bathed them up . Now I only only use them at WDW as our mug cleaner!!#

I just recalled on our last cruise ( OASIS) I know we had 4 as the space they were taking up on the counter was annoying me so i kept moving them and the steward kept putting them back.

Don't get me started on the tons of pillows found on beds. Those long hard pillows drive me insane. The only use I have for them is to smack my DH if he's snoring too loud.

I do pack my own pillow tho to stack on top of the hotel's pillows.

When someone checks out all linens (typically) will be removed and washed. You can't be sure it wasn't used.
It may sound like a waste, but yeah it's possible for a towel to be air dried and neatly folded. Not sure about toiletries. I've seen some that have a paper seal to note that they've been opened.

Now the annoying thing from my last hotel stay was the little selection of minibar items. There was a warning that if any items were taken from the tray for over a minute, they would automatically be charged to the room. The hotel is using some sensors on the packaging or tray to note when the items have been removed. Some apparently use scales, although it might be difficult to figure out what was taken. And they'll typically remove the charges on request, but I think they may be counting on guests who rely on automatic check out and don't bother to settle the bill.

http://archive.jsonline.com/watchdo...unexpected-charges-b99347028z1-274623181.html
Once I argued with my kid over the Kit Kat bar that was available in the minibar in our hotel room. I think the price was $2. But my kid grabbed it and asked if it could be opened. I ended up going to a nearby WM (where we needed other things) and buying 3 of them for less than the hotel charged for one. Also - I'm not sure if hotels these days can tell if someone took an item and replaced it with one from a store.

We still laugh at the time we had to stay in a dive hotel for DD12's sporting event. They gave all the families one washcloth no matter how many people were in the room. We had four people.

I have never seen different numbers of washcloths vs towels. What I want to know is why don't hotels put up more towel bars so my towels will DRY??? I won't re-use a wet towel, but I'm happy to re-use my nice dry one for the length of my stay.

I haven't read through everyone's responses, so if I am repeating something a PP has stated, forgive me.

The average persons to a hotel room is typically 2. Rooms sleep up to 4, but I think you will find more rooms occupied with just 1 or 2 people in them, and not to capacity. Now, imagine the amount of laundry a hotel has on any given day. Once a party has checked out of their room, the hotel has to assume that what was in the room was used. All towels and linens come out and go to laundry. If they put 4 of everything in every room, everyday, imagine how much more laundry they would have?

That is my guess. I will tell you though, I am just thinking about DVC, but for the most part, the towels are folded over the rack, the hand towel is on top of that and the wash cloth is over the hand towel, so for every towel, there is a wash cloth. There is only one bath mat though.

I don't understand why the number of people checking in to a room isn't added to the housekeeper's sheet at every hotel across the country. It seems like common sense to me and would cut down on extra calls to rooms and unnecessary laundry.

I don't understand why the number of people checking in to a room isn't added to the housekeeper's sheet at every hotel across the country. It seems like common sense to me and would cut down on extra calls to rooms and unnecessary laundry.

that would take a lot of assumptions
1) everyone books at least a day in advance
2) no one fibs on how many people they have, or doesn't count their children as people
3) no one makes special requests at check in that effect room selection
4) everyone arrives after all rooms have been cleaned
I could keep going

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!