• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Total surprise for 7-yr-old - Good idea?

denise33

Earning My Ears
My dh wants to keep our WDW trip 4/29-5/3 a complete surprise for my 7yrold dd. I don't think it's a good idea but he is adament - wants to tell her on the airplane! Has anyone ever done this?? Obviously I'm a big planner and that's why I'm here!

I surprised my son at that age. I packed the suitcase and his backpack and put it in the car without his knowing. THen I told him we had to run errands. On the way to the airport, I handed him an envelope of Disney dollars and told him it was an early bday present. I asked him where he wanted to spend them and he said, "the Disney Store, of course". I said, "How about Disney World instead? let's go now." He didn't get it at first, but when it dawned on him, it was priceless!!!

I think it is a great idea! I surprised my boys with a trip to Orlando and they still talk about it with such fondness. Try to get your child's reaction on video tape!

I "told" my son a few weeks before going by having a Mickey Ball from Gifts of a Lifetime sent to him. HE LOVED IT!!!

We surprised ds with a trip to WDW for his 7 Bday last year. We told the kids we had to go have some tests done at a hospital, and both kids crashed on the car ride. They woke up at 1 AM, and we were at WDW. DS didn't even figure out where we were until one of the CMs at the hotel told him to make sure to say "hi" to Mickey in the morning. It was definitely worth it.

Those kinds of surprises are such fun. I bet your DS remembers that forever. Plus, you don't have to listen to him ask how many days left, can we go now, for months ahead of time. Kids don't have a very good grasp of time! ;)

My sister surprised her two DS's with their last trip to Disney and it was great. They picked them up at school with the car packed and then told them they were going. We however took a trip about the same time and DS was in on it from the start. He loved all the planning, and was so excited by the time the trip came.Both families are going back next year and all the kids know and are excited about planning the trips. I think you have to know your child and decide if she will feel left out of the planning or is she a go with the flow kind of kid? Either way will be great.

Jordan's mom

We got back 2 weeks ago from our suprise trip for our sons 10 and 7! We drove from Chicago to Orlando, they thought we were going to the panhandle of Fl. It was wonderful when we told them the night before we got to Magic Kingdom---I would do it again in a heart beat! My sons were so excited and the best part was telling the friends when they got back!

We got back 2 weeks ago from our suprise trip for our sons 10 and 7! We drove from Chicago to Orlando, they thought we were going to the panhandle of Fl. It was wonderful when we told them the night before we got to Magic Kingdom---I would do it again in a heart beat! My sons were so excited and the best part was telling the friends when they got back! We were there for 14 days, I just wish it was longer!

Thanks for all the input! I guess since i like planning and anticipating so much I wasn't sure if keeping our trip a secret was such a great idea - after reading these posts - maybe my dh was onto something!!
Denise

My opinion is it depends on the child. My DS and Niece loves planning. Also for DN we knew since she is easily scared that she needed to prepare herself.
For DS we did suprise him with a trip to US/IOA last yr. We todl him 2 days before the trip. I hid the information in his laundry. I knew he had already reserched the park a great deal because he had spent a yr trying to convince us to go.

For younger kids I wouldn't suprise them. I spent a lot of time preparring DD for our first trip. She knew what to expect and was not scared by anything.

I disagree with what DVCajun said. I have a friend who doesn't want to hear her son ask about when are we going etc. so she never tells him about anything. When they go anywhere he has no idea that they are leavign town. He just thinks they are going to the store or something. This has made him a very nervous person and he does not travel well at all. He has no idea if a trip to get milk will turn into a 14 hr drive to his greatgrandmothers house.

Sounds like most of the time the surprise approach is a blast, but I agree with the advice to do this only if you're very certain your child would enjoy it. The uncertainty implied in your question makes me wonder if you have doubts.

My oldest is a routine-oriented kid, and really likes to have a sense of control. We put 'trick candles' on his birthday cake when he was 6 (figuring it'd be most fun to do that at an age when he hadn't heard about them yet), and to say that he didn't enjoy it would be an understatement. I have video of a very worried looking 6 year old and for 2+ years we dealt with irrational fire phobias. O.K.....so this is a stretch in terms of similarity to a vacation surprise, but I thought I'd throw it out for what it's worth. I certainly plan some little surprises.....afterall, part of growing up is learning to deal with surprises either good or bad.....but I'd give some serious thought to whether I wanted to spring anything major on him as I've learned he might not have the reaction I expected.

Again, it's probably just a small % of kids who wouldn't love the surprise, but I wouldn't risk it if you're concerned even if it is just a minor risk.

Have a great trip!

I was a Disney World "surprisee" when I was 12. The extended family had spent the week at Fort Myers and while we were there they decided to surprise the kids with a short trip to Disney World on the way back home. None of us kids had a clue that we were going to Disney World until we actually pulled into the Epcot parking lot. I think that I may have even still been napping while we parked :)

I think that since I was considerably older than 7 I would have somewhat enjoyed knowing about and anticipating the trip. But for a 7 year old I think it is a great idea. It will be something that she will remember for the rest of her life ! :)

Does he know you're going away anyway? We suprised DD - at that time age 5 by waking her up and saying we were going to WDW and she went into a panic. Wanted to go Tomorrow or the next day so she coudl say goodbye to friends and teachers. I think surpising with the location is OK, but you may want to let him know you're going away.

My DD is 9 and I told her 2 months ago of our upcoming April trip. I told her I thought of keeping it a complete surprise at first....weeks later she told me that she's glad I didn't decide to spring it on her all of a sudden because she's having fun reading her Disney book by Kids, talking to other friends who have been, buying some new clothes, etc...and every morning we say together "?? days to go" with a smile...it really gives her something to look forward to.

Also, we designated a box for Disney things we' ve been buying for the trip, like small flashlights for each child, rain ponchos, ear plugs, water bottles w/straps, etc. and they decorated it. They're having a ball planning and being included in the planning.

Of course you know your child best, but building up the excitement is part of the fun, right?

Have a wonderful trip :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter