TOTW closed July 4th for paid event

It's a choice of what the purpose of the lounge is. TOTWL lounge would not exist except for BLT.
And BLT wouldn't exist except for DVC. I mean I agree it is a choice of the purpose of the lounge. Is it a profit center for DVC that is exclusive to members or is it a subsidized (against the expectations of WDW at the very least) lounge for member? I guess DVC and WDW have decided it's the first case. But then again they are only closing for parties 2 nights this year (at this time, which is key). I agree it was in poor taste, and expressed that in a letter to DVC already, to give 3 weeks notice when changing the status quo. I also expressed the ability for members to rent the space at any point is problematic if that is occurring too without any notice.

With that being said here is the response I got, which ignores the concern mostly aside from the bolded statement (bolded for emphasis by me).

Welcome Home ---,

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club®.
We appreciate your interest and understand your concerns regarding access to the Top of the World Lounge. We will be happy to answer your questions.

Only Disney Vacation Club Members attending the Top of the World Fourth of July Celebration event will have access to Top of the World Lounge on July 4, 2019.

With the exception of a few blockout dates, all Disney Vacation Club Members are welcome to visit the Top of the World Lounge most of the year. The blockout dates at this time for all-Member access include July 3 & 4 and Dec. 30 & 31.

The Top of the World Four of July Celebration event was recently announced, and will take place from 7:30 - 9:30 PM for $99 plus tax & gratuity per person. Members at the event will enjoy a buffet of small bites and desserts, an open bar, and viewing of fireworks (Disney’s Celebrate America! – A Fourth of July Concert in the Sky) at 9:15 PM. If you would like to check availability and book a reservation for this event, you may reach out to Member Services by phone.

Member Services is available Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM ET, and Saturday – Sunday, 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM ET, by phoning (800) 800-9800 or (407) 566-3800.

Please note that operating hours, access guidelines and menu for the Top of the World Lounge as well as Membership Benefits are subject to change at any time without notice.

Disney Vacation Club values our Members' feedback and would appreciate you taking a moment to fill out a survey on the service I provided you today.

Please click on the following link to complete our survey. ----

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Thank you and have a magical day,

----
Member Services | Online Communications
Disney Vacation Club

I emailed yesterday and didn’t even get that ^response!

We plan on going up on the third. With what is bold, DVC means THAT could be changed as well.....any time it WANTS to change attendance up there, it can be changed. :guilty:

I emailed yesterday and didn’t even get that ^response!

We plan on going up on the third. With what is bold, DVC means THAT could be changed as well.....any time it WANTS to change attendance up there, it can be changed. :guilty:
Technically yes. But on the member site they have clarified yesterday that Members staying at BLT can go up on the 3rd. So I'd assume the odds are definitely in your favor.

And BLT wouldn't exist except for DVC. I mean I agree it is a choice of the purpose of the lounge. Is it a profit center for DVC that is exclusive to members or is it a subsidized (against the expectations of WDW at the very least) lounge for member? I guess DVC and WDW have decided it's the first case. But then again they are only closing for parties 2 nights this year (at this time, which is key). I agree it was in poor taste, and expressed that in a letter to DVC already, to give 3 weeks notice when changing the status quo. I also expressed the ability for members to rent the space at any point is problematic if that is occurring too without any notice.

With that being said here is the response I got, which ignores the concern mostly aside from the bolded statement (bolded for emphasis by me).

Welcome Home ---,

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club®.
We appreciate your interest and understand your concerns regarding access to the Top of the World Lounge. We will be happy to answer your questions.

Only Disney Vacation Club Members attending the Top of the World Fourth of July Celebration event will have access to Top of the World Lounge on July 4, 2019.

With the exception of a few blockout dates, all Disney Vacation Club Members are welcome to visit the Top of the World Lounge most of the year. The blockout dates at this time for all-Member access include July 3 & 4 and Dec. 30 & 31.

The Top of the World Four of July Celebration event was recently announced, and will take place from 7:30 - 9:30 PM for $99 plus tax & gratuity per person. Members at the event will enjoy a buffet of small bites and desserts, an open bar, and viewing of fireworks (Disney’s Celebrate America! – A Fourth of July Concert in the Sky) at 9:15 PM. If you would like to check availability and book a reservation for this event, you may reach out to Member Services by phone.

Member Services is available Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM ET, and Saturday – Sunday, 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM ET, by phoning (800) 800-9800 or (407) 566-3800.

Please note that operating hours, access guidelines and menu for the Top of the World Lounge as well as Membership Benefits are subject to change at any time without notice.

Disney Vacation Club values our Members' feedback and would appreciate you taking a moment to fill out a survey on the service I provided you today.

Please click on the following link to complete our survey. ----

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Thank you and have a magical day,

----
Member Services | Online Communications
Disney Vacation Club

Wow. Such a heartfelt response. No AP renewals for my family come December. They don’t care but neither do I at this point. I still love you Mickey but your bosses are the worst. :(

So the parks blog post does say, which I'm fairly certain was edited at some point during the day

"And here’s a little trip tip from our friends at Bay Lake Tower. While the Top of the World Lounge will be available exclusively to those attending the aforementioned event, the lounge will remain open to all eligible Members on July 3, which also happens to be a new date for the nearby Disney Vacation Club Fireworks Cruise. Click here to learn more about the cruise."

So it looks like on July 3rd (all members not just BLT guests maybe...) can access the lounge. But then on the 4th it is exclusive to the party.

http://disboards.com/forums/dvc-member-services.89/

So 7/3 open for Eligible members = BLT guests only I’m guessing?

It stinks they waited so long to advise members, well past the cancellation period.

Whatever happened to sending out the letters to those registered ala pool closings, construction & this sort of thing. I remember getting them @ BWV a few times but nothing for the AKV pool or AKV value studio work (had active reservations including a WL for the studio).

So 7/3 open for Eligible members = BLT guests only I’m guessing?

It stinks they waited so long to advise members, well past the cancellation period.

Whatever happened to sending out the letters to those registered ala pool closings, construction & this sort of thing. I remember getting them @ BWV a few times but nothing for the AKV pool or AKV value studio work (had active reservations including a WL for the studio).
This site was updated yesterday. https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...s/events-experiences/top-of-the-world-lounge/

It specifically states the restrictions under Important Details that July 3rd and December 30 BLT guests only and 7/4 and 12/31 party only.

That would require management (starting with Terri Schultz and working our way down from there) actually having a soul and caring about people other than lining their own pockets and status in the corporate food chain. Just remember that when you see the avatar that claims to be her speaking, you're listening to a soulless android who would simply steal directly from you if it legally could.

And brace for impact, because this is likely the first of many unpleasant shots to come...

Well, I got the form letter in response to my email about the short notice of the closing TOTWL to members staying at BLT the night of July 4.
:rolleyes:

At least the 12/31 guests get 6+ months notice. We can’t change or get good adr’s or fastpasses for a party of 8 with only 3 weeks notice.

When we booked the information also stated it would be open to BLT guests for those nights and those nights "sold" out quickly. We're now withing 7 months and when the plan was for something that was stated as available, had always been available, and now isn't? It's not that much better as it was a driver to even book there.

When we booked the information also stated it would be open to BLT guests for those nights and those nights "sold" out quickly. We're now withing 7 months and when the plan was for something that was stated as available, had always been available, and now isn't? It's not that much better as it was a driver to even book there.

I get it. I mean 12/30 isn’t Happy New Year, is it? Just like July 3rd is not Independence Day, it’s a rehearsal. At this point be grateful you can get dining or fastpasses though, we have limited options.

My family has a 2 bedroom reserved for July 4th and we specifically booked BLT to watch the fireworks on the TOTWL. It looks like we will be celebrating July 4th from our room instead of going up to the TOTWL. I think you can hear the firework music on one of the Disney TV stations. :happytv:. Or maybe we will go down to the parking lot to watch it?

Revelation.... I could have stayed home and watched the Washington DC or Boston fireworks and saved my DVC points....

I have an early reservation at California Grill and was planning to return for fireworks. Does this mean I won’t be able to do that?

I have an early reservation at California Grill and was planning to return for fireworks. Does this mean I won’t be able to do that?
California Grill and Top of the World are separate. Are you referring to going back to California Grill later, which normally California Grill allows? If so I’d call to check as California Grill is also having a party for the 4th.

As for Top of the World it used be BLT guests on the 4th but now it’s exclusive to those that paid for the party.

Surely there's going to be lots of members - mainly owners- who will have no idea of this until they check in (if signs are up/ told on check in) or actually try to go up? Most will have booked nearly 11 months ago, and many will have chosen 7/4 for this feature.
Surely there are going to be lots of very angry people about come 7/4?

Surely there's going to be lots of members - mainly owners- who will have no idea of this until they check in (if signs are up/ told on check in) or actually try to go up? Most will have booked nearly 11 months ago, and many will have chosen 7/4 for this feature.
Surely there are going to be lots of very angry people about come 7/4?

Yup. We found out from the Disney Blog with 3 weeks to go. Special, huh?

I get it. I mean 12/30 isn’t Happy New Year, is it? Just like July 3rd is not Independence Day, it’s a rehearsal. At this point be grateful you can get dining or fastpasses though, we have limited options.
I agree with this in regards to NYE. In regards to 7/4, it’s very typical for fireworks to occur on any number of days throughout the week in most municipalities. There are so many places to view fireworks from at WDW. While I don’t necessarily agree with what appears to be a greedy decision, I personally don’t even think that’s the best place to view those fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter